Newbie from UK

Hi there, and a 2nd hello to a few names I already recognise.

After years of 'getting round to it' I have finally taken the plunge and bought my first Dollhouse. I have bought an ex-display house. the shop said they had had it a couple of years so could not remember the name of the house or the manufacturer - any ideas?? I have already been in touch with DHE and they do not recognise it.

It has been painted on the outside but is still a blank canvas on the inside. It needs a good clean and repaint. Unfortunately the plastic windows have gone a bit yellowy so they need doing too.

Because this is my first project I am not going to do anything too adventurous and am going to stick to period decorating and furnishing. I have 5 floors with 1 room on each, but this leaves me with 1 room short. I would like a kitchen, dining room, sitting room, bedroom, and bathroom, but I also have my heart set on a nursery. None of the room are large enough to permanently be divided. My husbands first idea was to have the dining table in the kitchen, but this is of course, far too modern. I have thought about having a divider screen in the bedroom and having the bath and toilet behind. Or maybe just a ceramic jug, washbowl and potty. Does this sound more feasable? Any other ideas?

I am so keen to get started, but dont want to make a hash out of it, so am planning on doing a lot of planning before starting.

Looking forward to your replies and getting to know you all better.

post-760-1151130897_thumb.jpgpost-760-1151130922_thumb.jpg

Hi and welcome! I can't help with who made the houe but it looks cery nice. :D

What date/ period do you have in mind for the house. That will help in deciding what rooms to put in. For example early houses did not have the kitchen attached and you have to remember when plunbing would have been around. You also need to think about where in the country your house lives. That would also decide when you had plumbing and electricity. Also since the house is so narrow it would not be a wealthy person's house so they may not have had plumbing or electric at all. The UK will have different dates than the US. If you do not want to be so specific then it would be okay to put the table in the kitchen or something like that.

Just some things to think about.

Hi Rachel. Nice dollhouse. What about adding a basement? You could then put the kitchen in the basement level, and that would give you a room for a nursery.

I'm looking forward to seeing photos of your house as you work on it.

Your avatar photo is cute ... do you have 2 little girls?

-Susanne

Thanks for the welcome Guys.

Had a busy couple of days and got about half of the external painting done. I'm surprising myself cos its actually looking ok!! :D

Shaky - I was planning on doing it Georgian. Been flicking through a lot of books and a lot of the older houses do not have bathrooms, so think I'm going to go with the washbowl and potty idea.

Susanne - The house already has a basement. And the little'un in front is a boy - lol!!

Will post some more pics when I''ve finished the exterior painting. Where is the best place to post them?

Sounds like you are on your way. :D I love to do research before doing a house. It really helps it to look real if you can get the little details right. I also make up a story to go with the people. Jobs social status and so on. It really narrows down the decisions that way.

I think if you post a couple more times you can open a place in the gallery for your pics.

so think I'm going to go with the washbowl and potty idea.

then you can build an "outhouse" to go behind it :D

Seriously, your ideas for the house sound real good, looking forward to watching your progress.

Hmmmm... your house is loosely similar to The Laurels from Dolls' House Workshop, but yours has nicer proportions and finer detailing.

Your windows seem to be identical to what's on The Kensington by Barbara's Mouldings, and the proportions and detailing seem similar, too. There's no similar house in the BM catalog at the moment, but models do get discontinued.

• 2 weeks later...