My Orchid is here!!!

Hi everyone

Thanks for all of you welcome posts :lol: So...my Orchid arrived yesterday and I have read all of the instructions and I have a few questions already that I am hoping you can help with. Also...where exactly (in the forum) should I post my random questions as they come up?

When you construct your dollhouse...what do you acually build it on? Do you mount it to a board? Sorry...this is probably a silly question.

How many types of glue do I really need? The instructions say I should us hot glue but I have read otherwise here in the forums. Can you please give me a breakdown and some recomendations?

Thank you all for your help and wish me luck!

...Thanks for all of you welcome posts :lol: So...my Orchid arrived yesterday and I have read all of the instructions and I have a few questions already that I am hoping you can help with. Also...where exactly (in the forum) should I post my random questions as they come up?
Here: http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/i...hp?showforum=28

When you construct your dollhouse...what do you acually build it on? Do you mount it to a board? Sorry...this is probably a silly question.
There are no silly, stupid or dumb questions. I build mine and then, depending on how/ if I want to landscape it, I mount it onto a board afterwards.

How many types of glue do I really need? The instructions say I should us hot glue but I have read otherwise here in the forums. Can you please give me a breakdown and some recomendations?
I use carpenter's wood glue (Probond & Titebond are two brands I've been happy with) to glue wood to wood, and I use Elmer's white all-purpose glue for just about everything else. If Elmer's won't do the trick, there's E6000; and for building polystyrene kits/ Chrysnbon there's the solvent adhesives such as Testor's.

In case you would like to see what a house built with hot glue looks like within a year, check out page 3 of my "Laurel rehab" album.

Thank you all for your help and wish me luck!
You don't need luck, just patience and asking all the questions that come up.

I haven't built my houses on anything since they all have a base. But, there are members of the forum that put their houses on sheets of wood/posterboard etc and then landscape - the result is gorgeous and I'm going to try that with my next house. I'll build the house first and then put it on something.

The glue I use (and swear by!) is Titebond II for Molding and Trim - its a white wood glue. It grabs fast, doesn't run and also works on plastic. (It's a little pricey comparatively though.) For wall paper I use Aleen's tacky glue sticks. For fabric, I use fabric glue but I can't remember the name - from Joanns. I only use the hot glue for shingles, but I know a couple people here have used it for building furniture.

I think you'll find one or two types/brands of glue that you will like the best after experimenting and I know others here will give you more information.

Can't wait to see pictures of your Orchid!

Kirsten

Welcome to the community. :unsure: There's a subforum specifically for questions about Corona houses -- I'll move this thread in there. That's the best place to ask questions about the house as you build it.

I build my houses on whatever surface happens to be available (which sometimes includes the floor!) I wouldn't necessarily recommend this method. :lol: The Greenleaf and Corona houses are light enough that you can easily move them once they're assembled, so don't worry about the finishing touches now. Just build the house on a flat surface where you'll have lots of space to spread out, and when it's done you might decide to add it to a board with landscaping (or not).

I mostly use Elmer's wood glue and have recently started using Quick Grip on things I want to dry more quickly, but it can be a bit messy. For wallpaper I like the MiniGraphics mucilage. I know some other people really like Grandmother Stover's and Yes glue for wallpaper, but I just make a big mess when I try to use those!

The Orchid was my first dollhouse build. I've learned a lot since then but you may still find the photos helpful -- you'll find them here. There are also some beautifully finished Orchids in the Greenleaf gallery that you can look at for inspiration!

Welcome, MaryAnne! Ditto to all of the above, and my particular answers--

When you construct your dollhouse...what do you acually build it on? Do you mount it to a board?

I use a shop table with a plywood top, that I confiscated from hubby. I change out newspapers on it to try to keep it somewhat clean. As far as a base, I wanted a little landscape for my recent Westville build (in my albums and blog) so I got some 1/4" plywood and put some quarter-round around the edges to brace it and keep the grass on it. That was the first time I've tried that and I liked how it went-- I'm planning to do this for the Willowcrest too since it has a smaller footprint. Well, smaller than the Pierce, at any rate...! :lol: I wish that I had tried it for my Orchid build, because the Orchid is a nice size for it.

I think I have about four types of glue that I use-- Elmer's wood for structural joins, Aileen's Quickgrab tacky for just about everything else, white school glue for wallpaper and window transparencies, and once in a while I'll use super glue for a very small job that just needs a quick tack... The adhesive that I use the most has to be masking tape. That stuff is wonderful. I bet I go through a roll every time I side or shingle a house, but it sure does do the job. Another handy item that I use all the time is my Dremel.

I had fun with the Orchid and used LPCullen's wonderful paperclay brick tut to try something new-- now paperclay is one of my must-haves!

Edit: I don't even think I have a hot-glue gun...! Never saw a use for it.