Getting my throat cut

Deb

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Deb, I'm so happy that things are beginning to look up for you. I would not let Dr Quack or his office off the hook tho. Find out your state's medical ethics board's address and make a complaint. Professional people( I use that term loosely) do not like to have black marks against their name and will quickly make amends to keep their lily white reputations. Write Dr Quack and asking for the reasons's behind his decisions and asking for explanations of his office support staff's waffling. Give him a set time period to repond or you will file a complaint. Then do it if you do not hear from him. Not only are you helping yourself out, but it forces him to function in a ethical manner and hlep other patients too.

I told her that I might as well just see if they'd accept the records from my copies and she hung up on me!

It's bad enough when doctors with a god complex treat patients like crap, but their office staff? I know you're a nicer person than I am Deb to deal with these folks, my southern manners would have gone right out the window with Dr. Quack & his entire office!

She asked if that was okay and I told her that I'd be willing to see the janitor if I thought it would do me any good.
You crack me up, your sense of humor is amazing, and I think a blessing, given how really unfunny these doctors & their "treatment" has been towards you. Seinfeld had an episode about this sort of outlandish treatment from doctors (Elaine gets blacklisted with all the doctors in NYC because she's labeled "difficult" for not wanting to put on a gown during a visit), and on the surface it seems absurd, but I think the reason that resonates with a TV audience is because this stuff REALLY happens to a lot of folks when they have to deal with medical "professionals".

Fingers crossed that all goes well on the 4th!

hugs,

Crystal

I saw the endocrinologist at the University hospital yesterday. I told her about my endocrine history with some hesitation since every single doctor I've seen has told me that I'm wrong because those things could never happen. This doctor listened and said that it's definitely not normal, but situations like mine have been documented. She also gave me a good explanation about why things had gone so bad when they took me off the meds I'd been on for 14 years. I found myself nodding when she talked because she was giving me logical and informative reasons for some of the mysteries I've been facing...........things that other doctors have blown off as all in my head.

The biggest surprise was when she told me that my thyroid is actually two inches lower in my throat than where it should be! This explains a whole lot!!! It's lodged under my collarbone on the right side. Now I've been telling doctors for the past two years that I have excruciating pain in my right collarbone, especially when I sleep on my right side or raise my right arm. It makes sense that it would hurt so badly since it crushes my thyroid into the bone when I do. I'm a little bitter about suffering thru so much needless pain because the 9 previous doctors didn't notice that my thyroid might not be in the same place where they saw thyroids in pictures when they took Anatomy 101.

It occurred to me on the way home that this could be a lot of the problem with why my fibromyalgia is always in flare since there's a fibro pressure point in the same location. I'll talk to my rheumatologist about that the next time I see her, but this could definitely be that "underlying cause" that has contributed to so much fibro pain. And since the symptoms of fibromyalgia and Graves Disease are so much alike, it could definitely be why it's seemed like my thyroid has been the culprit. In a way it is, but it's because of the size and location, not the hormone levels.

Anyway, the new endo, Dr S., said that my thyroid is twice the normal size which by textbook definitions wouldn't cause the breathing and pain problems *except* for the fact that it's not where it's supposed to be! In its current location, it can definitely cause the breathing and circulation issues and the pain. She's going to arrange for me to have some pulmonary tests done first to determine exactly what's causing my oxygen saturation problems and she said that after she gets those tests she'll probably consult with a surgeon about getting rid of this mess. (if there are any pulmonary issues, those will have to be stabilized first) She said we need to consider the future as well as the present because there's nothing that can be done to stop the growth of the nodules. The good news is that she's pretty sure they were wrong about the microcalcifications being cancer. She wants to get actual copies of the pictures from my ultrasounds to be sure but she said it seems like it's probably crystallizations of thyroid hormones instead. That sets my mind at ease a little bit, but she said that it's still like having a time bomb in my throat. When I asked how long I have to live like this before something is done, she said that she'd do everything she could to make sure it wasn't much longer.

I've been thru too many bitter disappointments to allow myself to be too optimistic, but as always, I'm hopeful. At least I know more than I did when I walked into her office.

Deb

Great to hear that you know more now than before, and that more makes sense now. I hope she'll get you well on your way to sorting everything out! My fingers are always crossed and sending you and her useful energy.

Let's hope and pray that this MD means business this time.

It's high time for you to get some relief - period - end of story.

You poor woman, I can't imagine how awful this is and what a bunch of quacks you've had to deal with. It's just not fair - no way - no how.

{{Gentle hugs to you ... }}

Deb, I am keeping fingers and toes crossed while sending positive energy your way, I know in my heart this will work for you as it should!

HUGS

Deb, I'm sooo pleased to hear this great news! Yes, we must be careful not to get too excited, in case of disappointment. But it sounds like this doctor is really listening to you, and knows what she's talking about. (Like doctors are supposed to do.) I'm hoping and crossing all that I can, for this to work out! :flowers:

Oh, Deb, I am just grinning all over for you that this lady actually LISTENED to you and then talked to you in a way that made sense and that she was at least trying to address YOUR reality and not what the textbooks say is real.

Having been through several docs myself without a diagnosis beyond "Yup, there's something going on here!" - and I don't count the six years I spent in psychotherapy before realizing much of my problems were physical - reading that you may finally be getting some answers and solutions to your troubles gives me hope. Though the medical profession doesn't want to admit it, women with "different" symptoms are most definitely not well served by medicine, alas.

Raising a glass (pink grapefruit juice LOL) in honor of your long search and saying a prayer that you do indeed get answers and a resolution soon.

You are in my thoughts and I hope you find relief soon. It's maddening all the things you've been through...I don't know how you keep going. You are an inspiration. :flowers:

It's hard not to get my hopes up in case this turns into another disappointment, but I really do feel cautiously optimistic. At the very least this doctor was aware that some of my thyroid symptoms were documented as rare but they *do* happen. I'm so sick of getting attitude from doctors that I'm either lying or it's all in my head. And after some research today, the condition of the thyroid growing under the collarbone and sternum sounds like a fit. It sure explains this pain that's been written off as arthritis for so long. And hypoxia is more likely in cases like this than with "normal" thyroid nodules so that makes sense too. It would sure be wonderful if this doctor is on the right track.

The scheduling department called today and the pulmonary tests will be done on the 19th. Hopefully it won't take long afterwards to find out what happens next.

Deb

Good for you, Deb. That's only about two weeks for the pulmonary tests - not bad considering wait times can sometimes be much longer. Here's hoping that some of your problems will finally be solved soon!

Hoping and praying for you Deb that this is at long last the means to an end of your ordeal. :) What a long, strange trip it has been, huh? I'm surprised the 9 :lol: quacks you dealt with previously are still in business - what a bunch of incompetent dolts!! :flowers:

Sending you hugs and positive energy!

Knowledge is power, little sis! This doctor giving you so much straight info has got to be a step in the right direction. I've been praying for you several times a day, so I'll just keep it up.

Deb, I'm sorry it's taken me so long to respond to this thread. No excuses. I just wanted you to know that you are constantly in my thoughts and prayers for a great outcome. I agree with the others, I don't see how you've stood it this long and you are definitely an inspiration.

Sending plenty of hugs and healing thoughts your way and rusty railroad spikes for the bad doctors you've had to endure.

Not long to go now, Deb! At least, until the tests on the 19th. :) I'll be thinking of you especially on that day. (Another friend is having some surgery that day, so I will be very focused and very busy, with lots of good energies for you both!)

Only three more days till the pulmonary tests and hopefully that will clear the way for getting things moving. At least I'll know why I'm on oxygen and won't have to ponder that mystery anymore. LOL! To be honest I'm reaching the point where they're going to have to figure out something soon. I was super sick this week and actually thought about going to the hospital for a little while. Then I remembered that I can't really afford to get an ER bill just to hear another doctor say they don't know what's wrong. So I've been pushing thru with doubling up on the pain meds and feel a little better. As always, one foot in front of the other and I'll keep moving forward.

Deb