Pics of Mid-80's 1287Cape house?

jbnmini

I just picked up 2 old dollhouses yesterday and the one house was a complete mystery to me. On the RGT facebook page I was told that it was a "1287 Cape" by RGT. :( OK, so has anyone ever heard of this 20+ year old house model and know where I could find some pics?

It looks similar to the current New Orleans house, but I would really like to find an original pic from the box or anyone that might have done this house in the past. I am not having much luck online. :o

thanks!

The fine folks over at RGT were able to answer my question for me. B)

They even found a piece of trim to replace what my house was missing!! awesome!

I've tried posting pics, but seem to be too computer stupid to figure it out. :lol: I'll keep trying 'cause I really like seeing other people's projects and would like to share mine. We'll see if this works.......

post-5285-1271697344_thumb.jpg

HA! :groucho: I did it!

Yes, I discovered it was a style of house that came as a base house, then a second floor was sold separately. This obviously is the base house.

Since it is called the "Cape" house, I am planning on making it into a Cape May, NJ Victorian Beach Cottage. I think I will turn that funky-looking roof line into a rooftop sun deck. Still deciding if I want to add dormers or not.

Now to just figure out how to put pics into the gallery.....

• 11 years later...

wow, I never saw the thread and posted and searched for a long time trying to find an image.  I have the house in a kit-well in a bag really-to assemble that I bought from someone and there was only instructions.  Im so glad I found this picture!

• Like 1

That house is one of my projects too. I added a dormer. Haven't sided and painted that to match yet but will, of course. I just added a knee wall in the garrett room so it doesn't have that narrow space up at the front. Makes the upper floor much more usable for furniture placement IMO.

Here are a few pics (not one of my houses) I saved that show it with the second floor added, in case anyone's interested. The third pic really shows how the sections go together.

RGT Cape 2-story 01.jpg

RGT Cape 2-story 02.jpg

RGT Cape 2-story 03.jpg

thats awesome! thank you for posting these as I mentioned Ive never seen photo online of any of these and now here's a few!!!!  Mine is still to be assembled but having these pictures is a great reference for planning!

19 minutes ago, Qubanqtee said:

@Kells out of sheer curiosity how tall is the door opening on this one?  I want to switch out the door and am wondering if what I have in mind will fit.

I used this Houseworks door:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274904245665

It fits an opening 3 1/16 wide by 7 9/16 high, which is pretty standard. It went right in, I didn't have to rasp, grind, or sand the opening to get it to fit like I had to do with all the door and window openings of an old Batrie kit. What a nightmare. The windows are also standard size and take 2 9/16 by 5 1/16 components.

In case you're interested in doing the knee wall, here's the shortcut I took. So that I didn't have to bevel the top of a long wall, I used this 45-degree angle stripwood:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/163496753024

I built the wall itself like standard house framing using some 3/8" x 3/8" basswood I already have, topped by that 45-degree angle mentioned above to join seamlessly with the sloped ceiling. Then I just ran posterboard across, cut to fit, of course. I don't think it took me 30 minutes, if that. A huge improvement that I think looks infinitely better than that narrow end to the room. And, as I said earlier, it makes the room much more usable. A bed with a low headboard or a chest of drawers will now fit up against that wall, rather than sliding it back until it meets the slope and then having a bunch of weird open space behind it.

I also opted to leave out the staircase. It ate up too much space in that small living room, and I really hated the way the underside of it blocked the front door. I filled in the stairwell opening with two pieces of 3/16" foam board / art board from Michael's. Two 3/16" pieces sandwiched together equals the 3/8" thick floor. Glued to the flooring above and ceiling paper below, it's very sturdy. Hasn't budged a bit and you can't tell there was ever a stair opening there to begin with.

I use that foam board a lot. I didn't have a dividing wall upstairs in mine, just one big room. I used the foam board to make one. Two pieces to be 3/8" thick so I could put a standard interior door into it.