Anyone build the Victoria's Farmhouse???

minifan

So...I'm very quickly thinking that the Garfield I've purchased is not a Garfield, (call it intuition!!! :rofl: )...

I was thinking about the Victoria's Farmhouse by RGT...it's at Hobby Lobby and they have a 40% off coupon...not a bad price after that discount...

But I wanted to see if anyone had any reviews on it...

If I build it, I'm going to change the front porch so it's only in the front, not on the side, and add the Jr. Colonial Addition kit to that side, and then the Jr. Conservatory kit to the other side...closer to the back of the house it won't interrupt the side access panel...

I think I'm debating this house because I just cannot seem to get too excited about anything else...(not to mention all of the butterflies that are in my stomach about the Garfield if it does end up arriving!!! :clap: )

• Like 1

Hi Amanda!

I have Victoria's Farmhouse, but mine was already built when I got it. It's a beautiful house, and I can't wait until I get around to decorating it. And I agree you can't beat Hobby Lobby's price. I had planned on buying it there until I found it on Craig's List. Sherry has built it and has great thigns to say about it. I'm sure she'll chime in soon! She has a wonderful website she used as a resource, I don't think I've bookmarked it though, since I didn't do the build. MiniWendy also has built it as well.

But, I'm not sure exactly why you got rid of your RGT Newport, but this one is also very large, especially if you put additions on it. And it is heavy, so I can't move it by myself. I don't like to rely on others to do things for me, so that bothers me a bit that I have to get DH and DD to move it up and down the steps for me. But, it is also MDF, and I think you mentioned once not wanting that around the baby.

Good luck! Let us know what you decide!

Edit:

Ha! I found the site Sherry used for her build.

http://gr123.powweb.com/Dollhouse%20Workshop/1065.html

And in the top corner, all those houses that are painted yellow, and maroon, that's exactly how mine is painted, so it obviously was a floor model in it's previous life (before the cure little redhead girl I bought it from too).

My 10 year old and I are still in the process of building it since! she received it for Christmas in 2008! That should be no reflection on the house itself but on me, a professional procratinator with three children, a part-time job, an Etsy shop and a mini blog! I got to the wiring and putting in the bay front and opening side and sort of got cold feet and left it.

it is a wonderful kit and if you look through previous threads about it, you will find a link to a PDF file from a lady who built it and provides step by step instructions and photos. Also, if you join the Real Good Toys page and the Miniatures.com page on Facebook, they sent me some links: http://usmfiles.s3.amazonaws.com/phpx71T4e...art%20guide.pdf

And also: http://gr123.powweb.com/Dollhouse%20Worksh...cal/wiring.html This guy built the VF and gives step by step on it.

But, I'm not sure exactly why you got rid of your RGT Newport, but this one is also very large, especially if you put additions on it. And it is heavy, so I can't move it by myself. I don't like to rely on others to do things for me, so that bothers me a bit that I have to get DH and DD to move it up and down the steps for me. But, it is also MDF, and I think you mentioned once not wanting that around the baby.

Part of the reasoning behind having to get rid of the Newport had more to do with my dh and a MASSIVE argument we had over the fact that I lost my job and took up an expensive hobby with a new baby and no income...and MANY MANY more pieces of information that are better left for another time... :rofl:

I have taken not having the Newport as an opportunity, (with my dh's support) to work on two smaller houses, the Fairfield and the Coventry...having finished the Coventry, I was told that we(yes, he and I) are going to work on a big one together...(he wants to get the Lisa's Cottage now and build it for the contest at HBS!!!)

I'm sooo nervous that my Garfield transaction is going to turn out bad that I'm thinking of back-up plans...

I loved this house but I didn't keep it. I took off the side porch and made a roof over the front porch instead of an upstairs porch. I made a lot of changes to the inside, reversed the stairs, closed the side door to what used to be the upstairs porch and made a window there. I added two small walls to make that area the bathroom with a small hall behind it looking out the double window. This is a very big house. The living room is 21" deep. My side access door was warped so I glued it shut, unfortunately making it difficult to decorate the living room. The reason I didn't keep it is, it weighs, I would guess, 35-40 pounds and I could not begin to move it around even to decorate. If you put additions on it you won't be able to move it. I would love to get it in plywood if RGT every makes it. Another thing I didn't like is the front door goes into the smaller room which I used as the kitchen so I cut another door into the living room off the front porch. Will you be getting the farmhouse and the Garfield? Both are very large but the Garfield would be considerably lighter.

Will you be getting the farmhouse and the Garfield? Both are very large but the Garfield would be considerably lighter.

NO!!! :rofl:

I'm waiting for the Garfield to arrive before I make any orders... :clap:

Just (I think) preparing myself for the worst, i.e. the Garfield is in terrible condition, it's not a Garfield I purchased, or worst of all, I sent money and will get nothing in return!!! :p (yes, I'm a paranoid-weirdo...but I need something to amuse my mind... :lol:)

Amanda, I absolutely love my VF! It's the most fun house to build, goes together like a dream if you follow the instructions, and has wonderful sized rooms. Plenty of room for all the furniture you want, without being so crowded a doll can't walk in there. As for the porch, it's another living space to decorate and I had a blast finding period porch furniture, pot plants, a few toys for the kids. As a matter of fact, I still am working on stuff for it. I can't imagine cutting the side off, it adds such charm to the entire house.

The only thing I had any problem at all was the side access, and that's because I'm too picky. DH tried two different ways of attaching the access with hinges and I didn't like either, so we finally glued it on and built a window seat in it. I'm much happier with it that way. If you decide on this house, use the link to the dollhouse builder, it really helps, and holler if you need any more help!

• 1 month later...

Hey there,

I just caved and bought the Victoria's Farmhouse from Hobby Lobby. Such a price! I was a little wary, seeing as how their regular price was already $100 less than other vendors. But with the 40% off coupon, I got over my suspicion and took the plunge.

It might live under my bed untouched for a while, but once I'm ready to dive in, I'll want to see that build site. Unfortunately, the link posted doesn't work for me. Has the content moved?

Also, a question for anyone who's built it: from the pictures, it appears that the stairs are very basic, and that there's no interior trim for the doors and windows. Is that the case? If so, I guess I'm keeping an eye on other sales...

Don't the RGT kits take the Houseworks components? So you'd measure your window/ door openings and get the Houseworks parts that fit?

Yes, that's the plan. Just wanting to know if my impression is correct, that the trim isn't included in the kit, and that the stairs are as basic as can be. I think a previous RGT kit I built included the interior trim.

The stairs are just like the ones in the Princess Ann, No banisters or other trim. Windows are without interior trim. If you add additions to the house it will weigh about 60 pounds at least. What ever happened with the Garfield?

The stairs are just like the ones in the Princess Ann, No banisters or other trim. Windows are without interior trim. If you add additions to the house it will weigh about 60 pounds at least. What ever happened with the Garfield?

Well, as I thought...it was too good to be true...it was sent back to the woman who sold it to me...and I got a refund...

I purchased my VF already done but I love it. It is a heavy house, I have great difficulty moving it half a foot by myself. The couple who built it did a really neat bash on the interior to create a hallway, additional rooms such as a bathroom. etc. See photos.

I am not as big a fan of RGT houses because they are so heavy & I don't like MDF either, but if you purchase from RGT you can get it in plywood I believe.

Crystal

post-4911-1275066539_thumb.jpg

post-4911-1275066561_thumb.jpg

post-4911-1275066583_thumb.jpg

I am building the Victorias Farmhouse, it is a great house and very easy but it is so Heavy !!! I have alot more to do to it... Porch has not been touched.!!

Kellee

Kellee, it looks fantastic! Those are the same colors, or close, I used on the Cherrydale.

Still mulling over the colors for the VF I have coming next week... if I ask my daughter, she will insist on a pink house, with pink trim and pink interior. ;)

• 10 years later...

Hi. I'm trying to build this dollhouse also. I've messed up the access bay door tho and wanted to know how you built the side without it? I noticed your access bay door is now in the front. What did you use to substitute for the original access bay door on the side? And anyone have any suggestions on how I should proceed if some of the exterior is damaged? Thanks!

• 2 months later...

I am currently building the RGT Hawthorne. It is an older/discontinued kit. This is not my first dollhouse build but I am telling you this is the most difficult dollhouse that I have ever built. Started it in March and it has definitely become a love/hate relationship. The instructions are not the greatest, a lot of guess work and flying blind involved. It is a huge dollhouse. 

• 2 months later...

Hi! I have the Victoria’s Farmhouse. I thought it was pretty boring. I added a lot of extra on the inside. I added two hallways, divided two rooms, put in a bunch of window seats, fancied up the ceilings, etc. On the outside, I added a staircase between the porches, added more gingerbread trim, put in fancier railings, etc. I think it is a great house. It has a ton of room. And a ton of room for your own ideas and unique touches. I am really happy with it, and would definitely recommend it. The only thing I have regretted about it, is that it doesn’t have the fancy touches that I usually look for in a victorian house. But, if you are more into a different style of house (like craftsman, colonial, etc.), then it is the perfect canvas for whatever you decide to go with. The problem I have with it, is that while you can use a blank canvas for other house styles to start with, the more painted lady styles  need a more defined victorian style to start with, or you end up with a TON of work. But, I am settling in nicely to the less ornate farmhouse style and adding some more fancy touches. So, all that to say, the house is a good beginner house with a blank canvas. But I wouldn’t recommend it for a painted lady. Happy hunting!

I have a RGT 3200 New Concept house that I purchased a few years ago.  That series has sadly been discontinued now but it allowed you to customize a house by choosing different porches etc.  I chose a milled plywood house and so glad I did as it is much lighter than the standard RGT MDF.  I will have two additions to my house (also plywood).  I think with the additions it will be about 5 ft long.  I love the Greenleaf designs and if I ever finish this one, I have a Glencroft to do and of course a "list" of more.  Just not sure where I would put them.  With regards to the Victoria Farmhouse, I believe you can purchase all of the RGT houses in the plywood rather than MDF but you can't beat Hobby Lobby prices.  If I had an MDF house like the VF, I think I would build a table to put in on that had wheels.  The RGT site sells the components for their houses.  Love the VF, and hope you will share pics!

• 8 months later...

My husband and I built the "Victorias Farmhouse" as our first project.  We are very happy with the results and I had a lot of pleasure furnishing it as my background is interior decorating.   We are hoping to donate it to the Sick Children's Hospital in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.  Apparently, this dollhouse is one of the most popular and I understand that they have made changes to the current design by putting the interior stairs to one side instead of the middle of the house which I like much better.  This is a project that helped us get through the isolation of COVID 19.  We enjoyed it so much, that we have since built another dollhouse (very modern) and are currently working on a Victorian style house.  Good luck and I hope you enjoy the project as much as we did.