Facebook?...I'm bored

bookmarm

I thought FB was for visiting with old chums and family. Time I got on they started pillow fights and asking me to help raise barns,

find lost sheep, and fertilize their gardens (that sounds a bit personal, by me).I'm scrolling through yards of this junk.

Yeah, I should have known better....

Gayle, I'm with you. I don't game. I don't sign up for any of the apps that require you to give them any information. I think most of the horoscope, what color is my true love, and other time waster gimmicks are incredibly juvenile. I don't want to fiddle with the FamilyLink stuff; I maintain a genealogy database with a heckuva lot more detail in it than who's-your-uncle and I find the requests annoying, so I ignore them now.

I discovered you can check a Hide box that will let you avoid some of the game messages. It's to the right of the message.

I think this works both ways ... not only do I not get any personal messages, I don't find it convenient to send personal messages from within Facebook. I don't really care if the universe knows what's going on with me day to day, and I don't imagine they much care, either, so I don't change my status very often.

I'm thinking about deleting my account again.

BTW, I've been known to write real letters now and then, and not only in Christmas cards. :angry:

I thought FB was for visiting with old chums and family. Time I got on they started pillow fights and asking me to help raise barns,

find lost sheep, and fertilize their gardens (that sounds a bit personal, by me).I'm scrolling through yards of this junk.

Yeah, I should have known better....

RFLMAO at Gayle!! I have a facebook account and ALL of my friends are constantly getting on me because I haven't "accepted" them as friends. I go on there about once every 7 months!! I'm scared of viruses and such.

yeah it is chaotic! I joined to network and well that didnt work out too well LOL I have a friend, who is a real friend, that all but immediately got me over a hundred facebook friends...i felt so lost...make comments, no replies...too many people! LOL and I realized i dont want to know what everyone is eating, or that they went to work out LOL i have ended up hiding probably all but 10 people there so that when i go to facebook i am reading friends and family's information which is good. It helps keep one of my daughters, in seattle, one of my sons, in florida, and me talking together....we have not all been together in about 3 yrs. I like to see THEIR daily lives LOL

Have changed my mind about dropping off FB altogether. I just hid all but a half dozen friends and relatives as well as every game and gimmick that's been thrown at me. I got to thinking ... I'm linked to a dozen or more GL Forum members. Why? I talk to you here. I don't need to know every last burp your kid made, even if it was too, too cute. :angry: You're all hidden but for two (who don't post here often and don't blab everything on FB).

So, we'll see what happens.

I joined out of curiosity, but after a couple of months dropped out. It WAS boring. I had some nice chats with an old classmate till we were chatted out. We were never pals or anything, we just knew each other. My best friend in grade school and I sent a couple of messages to each other, but she's not really chatty either.

Mainly I just got a ton of pfishing emails, which stopped shortly after I quit.

I do 'hide' some, but at this point I'll hide MOST...then what's the point?

I think the point is that I'll be able to exchange messages and check in on those few folks I really want to interact with and not have to put up with friends of friends sending all kinds of game and gimmick nonsense. It didn't bother me in the least to hide most. It's refreshing, actually. :angry:

Interesting comments! I joined fb last year some time because I wanted to see my cousin's travel pictures, and that's the only place he posted them. Since then I have reconnected with dozens of friends from around the world, people I haven't seen for years. I enjoy it very much.

However, I don't play any of the games, and just "hide" the few that slip through from others. But I find it is taking time away from my beloved Greenleaf Forum, so I'm working on remedying that :)

Miniatures.com has about 2500 fans now on facebook and that is an interesting place to visit.

Miniatures.com has about 2500 fans now on facebook and that is an interesting place to visit.

I find that site particularly bothersome because it is so busy. It's one of the first sites that I hid.

I hid every game or poke or whatever that showed up on mine for several days and now I'm just getting the messages. It's much better this way, and still a good way to keep up with friends and relatives of DH. And I do like Ernie's posts!