Dioramas in 1/16th scale.

JohnReid

John this is the first time I have seen this thread. I had to go through the whole thing I just couldn't stop. Your work is Major Wonderful! I hope mine turns out 1/4th that good.

Hi Cheryl ! Thank you for your kind words.Good luck with your project.Cheers! John.

:jawdrop: I'm really curious to know what you used for the brass parts!

The brass parts are plastic that has been lightly sanded and washed and under painted with black artists gesso. I then took some acrylic gold paint and covered the gesso. I use only brushes for painting (no airbrush) To all my paint mixes I add some flow medium to smooth out any brush marks.

Later I will come back and with a bristle toothbrush spray on a little very thin raw umber to tone it all down a bit.The last step is to use pastels for weathering.(the last two steps have yet to be done) Cheers! John.

Chassis Assembly.

Well this looks like a nightmare to put together.Poor instructions,bad fitting of the parts etc..etc..I will have to build a jig to put it all together and keep it all square if there is any hope of having it fit properly to the body of the engine.

This kit was from an era when it was expected that modelers would find a way how to do it, far from the "fall together "kits of today.This will be a real challenge but lots of fun nonetheless.

First up will be to find a way to stabilize the main frames so that they can be joined together with the other components in between and then install the cross members to tie it all together.Glue alone will not do the trick here so metal pins will be required.

You know it makes me wonder how many of these kits actually got finished....

KISS ! ah yes the old Kiss principal was in front of me the whole time.Keeping it simple stupid, has always been the way to go when your in doubt.

This present diorama( which may be my swan song) will be much more focused than I originally intended.There is just something about an old steam train idling outside a RR station ,period.

This diorama will be just that,nothing fancy,no bells and whistles.The steam engine alone will bring it all to life,no need for figures and a lot of animation.What I may do however is add sound to the piece.

I got the idea from watching Sergio's "Once upon a time in the west" Actually it is from the special features section of the Collector's Edition.Just an engine idling at a RR station ,now how simple is that ! The thing is I could look and listen to it all day.

My diorama will be titled "Once upon a time a long,long time ago...." the way my grandmother always started her stories when she told them to me as a child.

But I do want this diorama to have something more about it.Yes,I will leave it as a movie prop as a testament to how illusion can be made to mimic reality for good or for bad.

In addition to his N-scale trains and buildings (and teensy garbage trucks) DH has begun getting railroad DVDs that we both enjoy watching. Nothing recalls the memory of long train rides like the sound of a train's workings.

We used to have a seaside holiday (in England, where I grew up) every summer. We took a long train ride there and back ... I can still feel the excitement, the anticipation, and exhiliration. I love old trains!

I remember those too Rosalind. Holidays and day trips by train. The most memorable for me (for all the wrong reasons) was when we were going to Mablethorpe for a Sunday day trip and got on the wrong train which took us to Durham. Now Durham may be a beautiful city but to a 5 year old on a Sunday (everything was closed) and who was expecting to go to the seaside, it was such a disappointment

This layout will be contained in a box,yes a locked cedar box and will be displayed only at Christmas or other special family occasions.It will be my gift to my family past,present and future.

Why so special ? Well it has been my experience that no matter how nice a layout/diorama is after a while it just becomes part of the furniture.Nobody really sees it anymore except guests or visitors.However, on the other hand ,only seeing something every once in a while will help bring fresh( if not new eyes) to an old piece.Also I don't want to encase it in a tomb like structure, even of glass, but I wish to have it open to natural light, but without the dust, for those who may want to take pictures.

As public as my other stuff will be this will be only for private family or personal viewing.Why do it this way ? Simply I would like something that I made survive for a while after I am gone to the "Happy Hunting Ground" as a gift to my children and the young at heart.I have heard to many stories about how Grandpa Fred's or Uncle Phil's layout ended up in the garbage shortly after his death.Too big,no room,tired of looking at it sit there gathering dust etc..etc..

I know you say nothing survives forever ! No one knows that better than I and besides when I am gone who really gives a *** ? I surely won't ! but you know somehow I do and I don't mind admitting it.Ego you say ?well artists usually do have some of that it is true,Why else would we do what we do ?

This layout will be contained in a box,yes a locked cedar box and will be displayed only at Christmas or other special family occasions.It will be my gift to my family past,present and future.

Why so special ? Well it has been my experience that no matter how nice a layout/diorama is after a while it just becomes part of the furniture.Nobody really sees it anymore except guests or visitors.However, on the other hand ,only seeing something every once in a while will help bring fresh( if not new eyes) to an old piece.Also I don't want to encase it in a tomb like structure, even of glass, but I wish to have it open to natural light, but without the dust, for those who may want to take pictures.

As public as my other stuff will be this will be only for private family or personal viewing.Why do it this way ? Simply I would like something that I made survive for a while after I am gone to the "Happy Hunting Ground" as a gift to my children and the young at heart.I have heard to many stories about how Grandpa Fred's or Uncle Phil's layout ended up in the garbage shortly after his death.Too big,no room,tired of looking at it sit there gathering dust etc..etc..

I know you say nothing survives forever ! No one knows that better than I and besides when I am gone who really gives a *** ? I surely won't ! but you know somehow I do and I don't mind admitting it.Ego you say ?well artists usually do have some of that it is true,Why else would we do what we do ?

I think that's a great idea John - a new family tradition that at Christmas we get Grandad's diorama out and display it in pride of place. That way as you say, people will not get bored with seeing it.

Now I'm reminiscing about various train trips ... there was the time we took a train to see Venice - we were on a wonderful family trip throughout Europe at the time. We boarded a carriage, and marvelled at the sumptuous furnishings! They even had beautiful white antimacassars on each headrest. Wow, we said, this is the way to do it! Italians travel in style!! As we settled into the gorgeously upholstered seats, the conductor made an appearance, checking tickets. You've probably guessed the next bit ... we were politely - and swiftly - informed we were in a first class carriage, and guided gently - and firmly - off it, and into the "coach" class carriage instead. :p

Sorry to go slightly off-topic, John. :)

I think having a special display that's treated with love and respect is a great way to give something to future generations. I'm sure this layout will be treasured by many family members, both young and old. The things we create are a part of us - we put a little of our hearts into each and every piece. It's a very personal way to reach out to people you'll never get to meet - but with whom you share a blood connection.

I think having a special display that's treated with love and respect is a great way to give something to future generations. I'm sure this layout will be treasured by many family members, both young and old. The things we create are a part of us - we put a little of our hearts into each and every piece. It's a very personal way to reach out to people you'll never get to meet - but with whom you share a blood connection.

I can't agree more, John.

Such a simple solution I don't know why I never thought of it before.A RR station has been built over a coach sitting on a sideline track (spur line?)using whatever materials happened to be at hand.Why ? who knows !, but that is not what is important to our story.

To say the least the station is very crudely built of old weathered siding with RR ties for a platform.It could have been built on one of Hollywood's backlots expressly for this purpose or it could have been just a found location.

• 2 weeks later...