Wallpaper For A Dollhouse

Merry

I have bought dollhouse wallpaper online, but it's always different when I get it so I make my own.

Please tell me what you have learned with wallpaper colors, etc. I'm also asking specific questions, too. Here goes:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you look at the dollhouse as a whole and coordinate the colors to blend from one room to another?

It seems to me that the wallpaper needs to be muted somewhat, right?

What was William Morris thinking?? Can his designs be a bit much?

Do the hallways need to be plain?

I love the dark colors. Just add light?

Could this paper be used in a hallway or is it too busy?

I thnik that just as in real houses, wallpaper is a matter of personal taste but I do think that in miniature you have to be careful not to swamp the rest of the room. Victorian wallpapers were often busy but then many old victorian houses over here (UK) had much higher ceilings than those you find in most doll houses.

In answer to your questions - just my personal view

I think that a house with co-ordinated wallpapers throughout - or co-ordinated colours certainly flows better and gives a better overall impression. However, if you are being realistic, then most houses aren't like that (unless they're show houses)Its just that with a doll house you see all the rooms together at the same time whereas in a real house that's not possible.

I think you are right about muted colours. With a doll house you are looking at the walls "from a distance" - not really but in relation to the size so colours are always muted by distance.

I love William Morris designs in the right setting - but that's not my RL house. anything arts n crafts would be perfect.

Hallways can be either pattered or plain or a mixture of both - depends how much stuff you want to put in it and how muted your colours.

My next house will have dark colours too - still working on the lighting thing though.

That wallpaper is very pretty and would look perfect in a hallway that has very little furniture or ornamentation.

I agree with Jo. I prefer a house to have a theme, and that generally means a colour palette. I hate bright and primary colours. The colours don't necessarily need to be watered down, but they need to blend and not be too stark against other colours/furniture/patterns etc. I think things are amplified in miniature as you see the whole in one view, rather than a full-size room, where you see parts only.

Your wallpaper is gorgeous and I think would be great in a hallway, especially with timber trim.

I always pick the fabric/wallpaper and then choose a range of colours to go with it and stick only with those colours. To me, you don't get odd items that stick out too much because they're the wrong colour or are too bright.

And take photos if you're unsure. It's like having an independant opinion!

Well I love darker woods and colors, but the dollhouse rooms are so dark, even with lights, so what I do Is keep my dark wood, but keep my walls neutral and bring in colors with paintings accent walls or furniture.

As for coordinating, I think mixed wallpaperas would be fine, as long as the walls have one or two things in common that stand out.

My McKinley was my William Morris house... I'm only using two basic colors in each of the Fairfields, plus one other color in common to both, but they're 1:24 and I firmly belive in that scale, less is more.