Can you use 1:12 wallpaper on a 1:24 house?

minifan

Hey Amanda-not sure where you are geographically located, but there's a mini store in MD ("Forever Friends") that are having a clearance sale of 40% off all of their half scale items (they are not going to carry this scale any longer). The last time I went to the shop, they had TONS of wallpaper. And, they were all GREAT designs. I know they will ship them to you if you aren't close.

Also, have you tried the printie websites? You could always print your own!

Hey Amanda-not sure where you are geographically located, but there's a mini store in MD ("Forever Friends")

Also, have you tried the printie websites? You could always print your own!

I think it might be a little far, but I will check it out online...thanks for the tip!

I didn't know about the printies, only because I tried the scrapbook paper route and I'm really unhappy with the way that it came out...I don't know if I did something wrong, but I papered over each of my windows, and then cut the windows out (after waiting overnight for the paper to dry) and all my edges are all jaggedy and the paper is rough on the walls, the edges are sharp and feel "weird"...(not sure if that makes sense)...

I thought it might be the same with the printies... :(

but I papered over each of my windows, and then cut the windows out (after waiting overnight for the paper to dry) and all my edges are all jaggedy and the paper is rough on the walls, the edges are sharp and feel "weird"...(not sure if that makes sense)...

When you cut out your windows, be sure you use a fresh blade. I had the same issue, then I finally believed what someone said here and changed my blade, and it made a big difference.

As far as using 1:12 paper in a 1:24 house, it really would depend on the paper. You would want to be sure that the pattern isn't too large for scale. In the HBS catalog I believe they list on some papers that they would also work in another scale.

Well for 1:12th scale if the pattern is bigger than a dime, then its to large, whats half a dime? I nickles here from, 1921, and earlier were smaller than that. (in Canada) but i doubt the seller would have one of those on hand.

As for your wall paper issue, like Holly said use a fresh blade but also, cut from the room out, rather than the room in. If that makes sense. :(

It's the scale that counts. How does it look? I have some real life wallpaper that we used in a bathroom that I'm going to use on the 1:12 bathroom in the quilt shop. It has tiny flowers on it that will look like larger -- but not overblown -- flowers in the mini room. It all depends on the look you're going for.

As for your wall paper issue, like Holly said use a fresh blade but also, cut from the room out, rather than the room in. If that makes sense. :(

What he's saying is to cut on the paper side of the wall, not through the window. :)

I recently bought wallpaper for my half scale house from http://dollhouse-miniature-wallpaper.com/shop/ Wonderful selection, have never seen so many choices or better quality in dollhouse wallpaper. They also carry 1" and 1/4 scale if anyone is looking! They have over 2000 wallpapers and fabrics!!! I highly recommend them!!! Hugs, Barbara

It depends on the pattern. I have some 1:12 that has such tiny print it looks O.k. in a 1:24 room. Like anything else mini, adaptations are possible. It's always preferrable if you are going to substitute that you see the print up close and personal. Best of luck finding your paper.

I used scrapbook paper in my half scale project and just eyeballed how it looked. I would go by the pattern and I now think of Corwin's dime rule when I am considering a pattern for paper or fabric etc.

Great little tip there Corwin.

For scrapbook paper or printies (or even regular dh paper that's uncoated), you can spray matte sealer on it to make it more durable. I've found that Minigraphics' wallpaper mucilage is a good glue to use.

I really like scrapbook paper for half scale houses. If you get plain colors without a pattern it looks like your wall is painted, but it's MUCH easier than painting!

I have used 1" paper in 1/2" houses. It really depends on the pattern.

cut from the room out,
I hold my house up against a window to get the opening to show up through the paper to cut it out, and then I cut 1/8" in from the window opening. Absolutely a new, fresh knifeblade! As has been said, it all depends on the design; I've found some RL paper patterns that are small enough to work for 1:12.