Laurel house (bay window trouble)

Majicsmom

I am have serious problems getting it together :lol: The directions aren't very clear and I am trying to glue it to the bottom and top and it keeps falling apart. there is glue all over the plastic windows... if this is so hard whats the rest of the house going to be like .. I looked on line for premade window to fit in the opening but I can't seem to find anything...

out of desperation I ended up using my hot glue gun that I had to dig out of an old craft box.. the bay window is together but it looks not too great.. I will have to replace the plastic fake glass but I will worry about that some other time...

i havent built the Laurel so possibly cant tell you what went wrong with that particular window but on the houses i've built i usually sand and dry fit all the windows...some take alot of fitting and others dont...its weird B)

So lots of sanding lots of dry fitting and tons of masking tape to hold it in place till the glue dries :p

also i put the 'glass' in last after its all together and painted

Hope this helps :lol: some one who has actually built the Laurel will give you better tips i'm sure :yes:

Thank you! :lol: Any tip is helpful I appreciate it...Since I already did it I can't change it but once it's dry I will see what I can do to make it look better.. You know the old saying trial by error ... I will take some pictures tomorrow and put them up.. I know that this is my first house so it won't be perfect ... but I can try :0)

It would be nice if the instructions were better illustrated

Thanks again

Edited by Majicsmom

I find that wood filler and or spackle from the hardware store fix all issues I have...

My Coventry Cottage interior trim broke, (and I mean each and every single piece cracked, split or is busted somehow), so I changed all the trim to trim I found online at HBS, and as a result had to square off each rounded edge...wood filler made that possible...

Just a suggestion... and if it doesn't work, rip it out and call Greenleaf and ask for a replacement sheet and start over... :lol:

One other thing I learned, there is not one door or window made by Houseworks or Classics (the only Co.'s that I've seen) that make anything that fits Greenleaf/Corona...

I replaced the doors in my Coventry and used again...wood filler and/or spackle...

:yes:

Thank you Amanda :lol: I was wondering if the would replace the sheet.... I pulled all the plastic out of the windows and scraped the glue with an exatco knike and stabbed my hand lol! very small puncture wound but I'll live lol!! I have decuded to give it a rest until tomorrow and take some deep breaths :0) I appreciate everybosy's help.. There have only nice people on this forum!! I am so happy I found it!!!! Good Night and Thank yoU!!!!!

Small puncture wounds are the best kind for getting tetanus, Barbara, and you don't want to know what that's like (nasty, NASTY way to die!) so I do hope your tetanus shot is up to date, and if it isn't go to the nearest health department or walk-in clinic and get another one (more than 3-5 years? or don't know? it's time!)

When I rehabbed the hot glue built Laurel the bay window disintegrated and I built another one. I used the transparency sheets for the printer, after I printed off my two Tiffany windows from Jim Collins' site I used the rest of each sheet for the other windows. I used stripwood to replace the ruined frames. BTW, Barbara, it sounds like you're working on windows before the build. That's a recipe for ruining the window acetate. I wait on window frames and window & door trim until after the build, and I prep and paint or stain them until they're the way I want them before gluing on the acetate.

To smooth out the corners of the bays or other non-90-degree joins I use nutti's technique and cut sections from the skinny bamboo skewers and glue them into the space and when they're dry, spackle around them. For bays I generally put together the outer frames with the top & bottom, dry fit the inner frames to assure the fit, install the acetate inserts into the inner frames (thinner wood than the outer frames) and when the tacky glue is dry carefully run a thin bead of wood glue to the outer edge of the inner frames and install them. Design-wise I wasn't happy with a bay window on a front porch. I'm not too sure what I'll do with that when I build my Washington 2.0.

I also had a hard time with the bay window on the Laurel, so you're not alone. I think, between my husband and myself, we took it apart 4 times and when it was finally put together with a semblance of being okay, I then wood puttied the heck out of the thing! It was the second house I put together, but the first one was so long ago, it might as well be considered my first house.

The good news is that the house does get easier after that bay window. Enjoy the rest of the build - you'll love the house when it's done. :p

Amy in NH

Thank you.. My tetanus is up to date.. I am a paramedic so all my immunizations are good :p ... I only did the windows first because I was following instructions sheet... next time I will wait.. I managed to get it together and I will wood fill it and I think it will look OK... I thought about buying new windows but nothing seems to match the measurements.. same with the doors they are so ugly :o I took a break because I am working 2 double shifts... I will continue on my days off :0) I called the customer service and she said I could but more window plastic for $6 I think I will try the stained glass look instead.. that sounds nice.

Once again I cannot thank all of you enough for the warm welcome and all the advice!!!!!

ps I will begin posting photos this weekend

Hi, Barbara: Well, the thing about building dollhouses and having those "pull your hair out" moments is that when you are finally done, the pride and joy totally eclipse the frustration. I find that by doing items like bay windows first, and masking (the blue masking tape is the best) the pieces while they dry, I can avoid a lot of the problems like the ones you had. Also, there are a LOT of great things you can use to replace gummed up windows: I have a local hobby shop in my town that carries packages of nice quality clear plastic sheeting in different thicknesses . . . I usually just buy a package of the one that "feels" right to me for windows. Best of all, I have a big supply of windows ready to cut to any size I want whenever I need them. Something else I have used to very positive effect is the clear covers that come over boxes of Christmas cards (I never, ever throw those out!). They also work wonderfully for covers over artwork inside of your little photo frames. Also, things that drive you nuts now will make you smile when you remember them on later houses. None of our first houses ever go as easily as the later ones. Enjoy your project . . . we'll all be looking forward to seeing your pictures and cheering you on! I know it is going to turn out beautifully.

Barbara, you're not alone...our bay window didn't fit together perfectly either, so after I glued it onthe house-I added one of those bamboo skewers, and it worked well to fill in the gap...

Cant' wait to see pics :p Hang in there, I figure, we can only learn by trying, right ?:o I've made so many mistakes, but it's helped along the way....

The bay window in my Laurel was definitely a challenge.

Prior to assembly I chamfered the 5 individual window panels by sanding them carefully at an angle so they would fit snugly. Well, let's say at least I tried. :p

I started with gluing the widest central panel to the bottom first, allowing the glue to set for an hour or so before adding the others. I added one panel at each side of the wide central one and finally the outer 2. I worked more quickly once the first central panel was put in place, so I could wiggle the adjoining panels to fit snugly. Finally I glued the top to the structure.

The worst part was getting the first panel to stick to the bay bottom.

The widths of the panels didn't quite match the corresponding widths of the bay bottom. So I have some gaps where the panels meet the front wall.

The widths of the panels didn't quite match the corresponding widths of the bay bottom.
Since I practically had to make new bay windows, I fit them to the bay top & bottom (and they still had gaps! gotta love spackle/ polyfila!). I still don't understand, architecturally, why there's a bay window on a porch! But the Washington has it, too, and I'm still puzzling whether I'll build it that way when I get to it.

I have always used wood or spackle filling for mistakes and gaps too! and this Christmas with our Mckinley i finally pulled out a glue gun too (had to search for where i thought i may have a stick or two of glue) for the peaked 8 pieced roof LOL...was not going to try to figure that out and hold it for hours! I dont know if it helps, but i beleive that once you fix obvious holes, paint things, decorate and put a lot of tiny things in your home you wont notice the mistakes (as much?)