Bashing the Pierce

dickpatt

I am making a modification to the Pierce's tower, adding another eight or so inches in the form of a pointed roof and brass finial. I wish I could add a better picture of it here, but the brass does not show well in the picture. Maybe I can get a better picture and you can see it in my Albums when i post it there. I would appreciate your opinions and comments (good and bad). I made the addition from kit scraps and a wood dowel for the brass finial, a part from an old clock case, to attach to.

Let me know of modifications you have done with your Pierce and others you may do in the future. Or, just tell me ideas you have about other Pierce bashes.

post-4895-1260471558_thumb.jpg

Thanks,

If I win the auction...(fingers crossed!)...some of my ideas are to put a single french door in the door way of the kitchen/dining room(I'm doing the same in the Newport that I'm working on right now, I like the look of a door into the kitchen, but not a whole door, know what I mean?), and a double french door where the dining room doors are, I saw that in a google image online.

I think I would also move the stair case around, so the stairs are in the living room, rather than the doorway, I would eliminate some of the wall around the staircase and just make a railing...I also thought to change the round windows to octogonal shaped at the front door...but use the 1/2in ones because they are much smaller, (though I don't know if they would fit).

I also thought to change out the front door...(though because I don't have the house I haven't put much thought into which door, but maybe a single door with the side window pane things?)...

I like to make changes like this, because it changes the look of the house without changing the whole design...

Mine wants expansion, originally a wowser requiring lots of extra wood to extend it 8"-10" to the right, but after studying that blank left wall DH & I decided to add a conservatory there, so I'll only have to add to the foundation, no dice & splice! I love your finial, I have a brass wind vane to top my tower with, I'm looking long & hard at adding a gazebo level, once I figure out access to the topmost level issues (I'm working some of those out with the Fairfield's tower now).

Here's the latest thing I've added. It's a railing above the stairway opening on the second floor. It will be used to eliminate the two walls that separated the bdroom from the stairs and hallway. I think it makes the space look more useable even though it does sacrifice some of the bedroom's privacy. It's not glued in yet, so let me know what you think.

Also painted the tower roof with copper paint. I'm not so sure I like that too much. I will need to see the rest of the decor first. What do you think?

post-4895-1261076539_thumb.jpg

post-4895-1261076702_thumb.jpg

Once you've "aged" your copper roof with traces of verdigris you'll like it better. I like my copper roof on my 1:24 Lighthouse so well I plan to make the Fairfields' tower roofs copper also. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do to/ with Mildred's tower roof yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Just saying ... after building my first house (an Orchid) I bought two Pierces for bashing together as a castle. Nevertheless, have bought and sold three houses since then, picked up another for rehab, and am building a consignment Willow. The Pierce(squared) waits patiently for its extended fourth floor, inside tower w/colonades, and fountain courtyard. Enough said?

• 4 weeks later...

I love the railing idea....i am just starting my pierce...but the wall that is not being used, isn't that the wall for the bathroom ? No privacy to take bath !!! :flowers: (lol)

If I use this idea and don't put up that wall then which room would make sense to be the bathroom ??

Actually the left out wall is two short walls made of two pieces about three inches wide. They make an "L" shape to separate the bedroom from the stairway and make the "hallway". You can see the two slots in the bathroom wall where they attach. They punch out from sheets 10 and 6. Still have bathroom privacy but not too much in the bedroom.