And the Workshop Begins!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The roof is now on the workshop, and the shingling is done. Jimmy did a bit of decorative woodwork on the side at the top, and he says he's going to do some decorative woodwork around the windows too. I don't know what yet. We still haven't moved the clematis vine either ... getting there, eventually. It's been awfully hot, so Jimmy hasn't had much time to work on the workshop because of the a/c calls he keeps getting. The door has been purchased but not installed, and he's now ready to run his wire to the interior.

post-6-1150761440_thumb.jpgpost-6-1150761452_thumb.jpgpost-6-1150761464_thumb.jpg

post-6-1150761473_thumb.jpgpost-6-1150761483_thumb.jpgpost-6-1150761493_thumb.jpg

So, it's just about time to think about colors for the dollhouse workshop. Jimmy says it should be funky colors. Any ideas?

Pale yellow with bright green & pale pink trim? I'm partial to blue doors.

Oh Holly! I love it!

What about using a vinyl patterned wallpaper, so you can easily wash off the splattered paint, glue and wood filler?

Hmmm! What an idea Peggi!

Jimmy's idea was to open all my cans of paint (don't know if he knows what he's thinking there!) and splatter the floor with the colors.

Y'all know it's crooked, right? Jimmy can't build anything without something being crooked.

and what ideas do you have about work areas?

Im all for floor to ceiling shelves or cabnits but I also thing at table hieght you should go around all sides for various work areas and display of houses being constructed! lots of LIGHTS.

I like the idea of purposly splattering paint on the floor...after all its gonna look that way sooner or later!

I also think that a big work table in the middle of the room is good.

I think about my work area all the time! cant wait till I get a chance to implament it!

love seeing all the progress! its time for some fancy trims and shutters to make it a proper dollhouse!(shop)

lol

great Job Jimmy!

nutti :lol:

So when do I move in? :D

BTW, I do come with my own mill, drill press, metal lathe, grinder etc, you could learn to love me. :lol:

<cackle> Rumor has it that Marg is considering moving ya'll to the backyard anyway. Maybe you can commission Jimmy to come build one in your backyard too.

Linda, it's looking great! Give Jimmy a hug from all of us. (and at over 700 forum members, that could take awhile so you might want to wait till he's done.)

Deb

Y'all know it's crooked, right? Jimmy can't build anything without something being crooked.

So? It'd come out of plumb anyway, when y'all turn it upside down so you can paint it. Don't kid me!

So when do I move in? :D

BTW, I do come with my own mill, drill press, metal lathe, grinder etc, you could learn to love me. :lol:

LOL! Doogster! Actually Jimmy would learn to love you real quick. He loves tools!

and what ideas do you have about work areas?

nutti :D

For sure the central table that we can walk around, and probably some bar stools with a back to sit on, if I can find what I'm looking for. There will be a work table around the back, and it looks like he's building a little loft too. He'll have shelves in the walls for all my paint. He said something about a 5 gallon bucket with a toilet lid on it too.

Linda, it's looking great! Give Jimmy a hug from all of us. (and at over 700 forum members, that could take awhile so you might want to wait till he's done.)

Deb

LOL!

So? It'd come out of plumb anyway, when y'all turn it upside down so you can paint it. Don't kid me!

LOL! I guess it would come out of plumb then.

• 2 weeks later...

When I got home on Sunday, Jimmy had installed the door and wired for lights (he has a flourescent light and I'm also getting a ceiling fan). He had also begun the sheetrock and insulation.

post-6-1151549278_thumb.jpgpost-6-1151549289_thumb.jpg

post-6-1151549298_thumb.jpgpost-6-1151549309_thumb.jpg

post-6-1151549320_thumb.jpg

And when I got home on Wednesday from work (I spend Tuesday nights at the other house), I was out on the back deck working on something and happened to glance over at the workshop. Boy did I ever get a surprise! Jimmy had put the decorative trim around the windows. His design, of course.

post-6-1151549524_thumb.jpgpost-6-1151549536_thumb.jpg

He has done most of the hanging of the sheetrock, but not finished.

post-6-1151549573_thumb.jpg

The top of the back wall hasn't been messed with because there's an a/c going in there. He's not quite sure what he wants to do, and mentioned something about a heat pump?

post-6-1151549621_thumb.jpg

He has put in the shelves, and on one side the shelves are smaller than the others. Those are for my little quart size paints!

post-6-1151549663_thumb.jpgpost-6-1151549676_thumb.jpg

I have decided on exterior colors, sort of. Now I have to go buy them. Pity. They don't usually sell the oops paints in exterior colors in the good colors that I like ...

It is looking so good. I love all the shelves. You Lucky Lucky girl!!!!!!

Thanks Peggi! I like the shelves for my paints too!

I can't wait to see it all painted up! It looks great, Linda :p

Thanks Cat! I'm looking forward to painting it.

LOVING IT!

I need Jimmy's enthusiasim to turn one our sheds into a shop!

looks great!

nutti :D

Thanks Nutti! Tell me when, and I'll send him over there!

This is why you and Jimmy can get those dollhouses done so fast. This man is a speed demon!!

That he is Tracy! Or single-minded ...

You are so lucky to have Jimmy and a really wonderful workspace. The workshop reminds me of a miniature dollhouse.

Thanks Sharon!

Wowsers! What colors have you decided on? What about a Huge can of white and some smaller cans of "oopsies" you could mix to get the colors you want?

Not telling the colors yet. It's a surprise. If I could find oopsies that were exterior paints, I'd go for it. I don't like mixing my own--would prefer to allow them to do it, LOL!

Linda! The workshop looks incredible!!!!!!!!! congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! After we move out into the tents in the back yard we will have the whole house as our workshop! ;) Seriously tho, congrats! I'm very excited for you!

Linda, I'm putting the virtual champagne on ice coz when it's done, we'll have to have a workshop warming for you. What a fantastic space!! It's really looking great.

Deb

Linda! The workshop looks incredible!!!!!!!!! congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! After we move out into the tents in the back yard we will have the whole house as our workshop! ;) Seriously tho, congrats! I'm very excited for you!

Thanks Marg!

The shop is looking great. Jimmy is doing a wonderful job. Can't wait to see what colors you pick

terri

Thanks Terri!

Linda, I'm putting the virtual champagne on ice coz when it's done, we'll have to have a workshop warming for you. What a fantastic space!! It's really looking great.

Deb

Thanks Deb! The minute it's finished, I'll post pix.

I'll bring a cake & flag strings & the "Grand Opening" banner!

Cool!