tape wiring help

lflint

I need your expertise : ) I am wiring a Front Opening Georgian by Real Good Toys and I am using tape wire and using small hollow eyelets instead of brads. Can you over load the system with too many eyelets?? I keep having issues and I can't figure out where the problem is. As soon as I turn on my transformer, the system blows out (the fuse blows) And no lights are plugged in. I only have 1 light and have installed the large eyelets but the light is not even plugged in. I am going to go back through and make sure that I have pink to pink and blue to blue connections with the eyelets. (Correct me if I am wrong if they have to be pink to pink and blue to blue) If I didn't make any mistakes there, what are my other options in finding out what the problem is. I am thinking maybe I have too many eyelets/tape runs. This is my first wiring attempt so I am not an expert with this stuff and anything that you can help me with would be greatly appreciated. FYI, I have a transformer that will take 64 12v bulbs so I think I have the largest one....is there a bigger one?

If you are using tape, what fuse is burning out? I don't have a fuse on my tapewire. The transformer goes from my RL house outlet and connects into a junction splice, via a lead-in wire with a off/on switch in it. Do you mean the fuse in the lead-in wire blows, the transformer turns off, or your RL house breaker clicks off?

Yes, I should have been more clear..the fuse in the lead in wire blows as soon as I turn the switch on. I have not had a chance to go back and check to make sure that all the eyelets are correctly seated (blue to blue, etc) so I am hoping that I accidentally made a mistake there...if there are no problems there, do you have any other suggestions?

Is this a hammer and nail house? Could one of your eyelets be touching a nail somewhere, or each other?

There is also the possibility that you have crossed something, and you are right, blue to blue, pink to pink, is how it is supposed to be.

When you turn the lead-in wire on, you shouldn't have any problem, (nothing should happen) and then be able to stick your test light probe into the tape,(they are essential for trouble shooting, and just cheap, if you don't have one) one needle in each color, it will light up to tell you the tape has power.You should have done this test with each and every splice you put in. If you didn't, you will have to go back, and test each strand of tape to find out wich one is the culprit) Is the lead-in wire compatible with the size transformer you've got? Was it part of a wiring kit?

How many lead-in wires have burned out? How are you fixing them? I did not know they had a replaceable fuse in them. How do you know it's a fuse burning? What exactly happens when you turn it on? Does it light your test light once, then you have no light the next time by chance? If this is the case, then the junction splice needs to be removed, and reinserted.(The junction splice is that little 1 inch square white block, that the lead-in wire needles, coming from the transformer plugs into) It's probably that unit that's not always connecting. Does it smell like something is burning when you turn the power on? Does it just stop working when you plug a light in? Are you plugging the light into a splice, if so, you can't do that. (Each light needs it's own set of large eyelets, that is not part of a spliced tape) To the best of my knowledge, you can't have too many eyelets/splices in the tape, and you have the largest transformer available.

Any further details you can provide me will help me picture the problem better in my head, so I can help you to try and trouble shoot the issue.

Hi Leslie,

I feel your pain. I used to love tapewire and then I started having problems like you are describing. When I gave in and went to round wire (hard wire) I was just so much happier. It is so much easier to fix when something goes wrong. I made a house for a 4 year old about 2 years ago and her mom brought it to me last week because one set of lights are not working. To fix it I'm going to have to rip out wallpaper in one room. I decided instead I'm going to rewire it for her in hard wire after Christmas. This doesn't help the situation you are describing, but if you can't figure it out, there at least is another option that isn't nearly as challenging, at least in my opinion. In the meantime, I wish you the best of luck and hope your lighting issues are easily resolved. Mini hugs!

Yes, it is a hammer and nail house and thanks for your help! Yes, I did test every line and every room a couple of times as I went along with my test probe, I had no problems until I walked away from it for 2 weeks. I have a lead in wire with on/off with a fuseholder. The fuseholder is great because you can change the fuse easily when it goes out. The first thing I did was test the transformer itself, when I knew that was working correctly, I tested the juction splice (I attached the juction splice to the lead in wire and tested it with a light that I had) I plugged the junction splice back in and still nothing. As soon as I turn on the lead in wire, I tested the line and no power. The first thing I do is check the fuse and it it blown. THANK GOD Kragens is a block away so I can buy fuses when I need them : ) I checked out each room carefully and I found my problem. In the far back corner in the attic, I did have 1 line crossed. It was far in the corner so I missed it. The link below is for the fuseholder like I have, it takes a 2amp fuse that you can get at most automotive stores and home depot. www.Miniatures.com has free ground shipping until Thursday...see link home page for details.

http://www.miniatures.com/hbs/global/Index....asp&P=2222

Thank Goodness you found it! I learned to trouble shoot the old fashion way, 'cause I've had issues with the tape too. I do not have any lead-in wires with fuses though. I learned something new today. So everything works now, and we can expect pics soon? Hint, Hint!

I posted my pictures of my Front Opening Georgian by Real Good Toys that I just finished wiring. I will add more as I go along. I don't know how to attach the link to this post so you will have to go to my page to see them. I have 2 more houses that I will post as well! Again, thank you!

...I don't know how to attach the link to this post..
If youhighlight the "Image code" to the right of your album picture and rightclick, you can copy it, and when you post you can click on the image icon and paste the image code into the box and click OK to place it in your post.