Clumping cat litter, do you use it?

Sherry

I was cleaning the cat's box this morning, and my son told me not to use the clumping cat litter, which I think is great. He says a woman came in his store and told him that it would kill cats. She said they had done autopsies which showed that when the cats lick their paws, the litter clumps in their stomach. Has anyone else heard this? (I already checked snopes, didn't find anything)

I use it, too. After using clumping litter, I would never go back to the other stuff. I think the problem is that they use cement to make it clump. One of my cats is 13, so I don't think (hope not, anyway) that it has bad side effects.

The amount they would swallow must be really tiny. Mine shake any off their feet and I have to sweep twice a day when we clean the litter boxes because it gets on the floor. I have four cats, four litter boxes. They seem to favor two boxes though so two of the four are hardly used. I would be more concerned about a dog getting into the litter box and swallowing the clumping litter but we don't have a dog now. That was one reason I couldn't keep her. She wouldn't stay away from the litter boxes and I did worry about her getting an intestinal obstruction from the litter. The Tidy Cats is great. Four cats and we never have any odor.

I did google it and read several articles, some chat rooms and some vets. Apparently this rumor originated from the makers of a 'natural' kitty litter! The vet articles did say to wait til kittens were 3 mos old or so, as kittens do like to taste everything and might decide to try it, and that if your cat started eating litter it is most likely the result of an illness called pica, where they want to eat everything and need to go to the vet.. But it looks like this rumor is the result of some 'competitive advertising'.

yes, i have heard about that several years ago.

that is the reason why it is not recommended when you have kittens.

i guess it is just a rumour, but if my cats had kittens, i do not think i would take the chance.

i do not use that clumping stuff however, my cats use the woody stuff.

All this about litter reminded me of my very first cat I got in seventh grade. He was the tiniest and last of a litter and I talked my Mom into letting me have him. I didn't know it was a him until later and just named him Kitty. We lived in Hermosa Beach, CA about three blocks up from the beach. They didn't have litter back then, 1950, and I had to go to the beach every day and drag home a big sack of sand. In only one day it smelled awful and I'd have to go again and get more sand. He finally became an indoor/outdoor cat so didn't need the box except at night. We moved to Phoenix, AZ and he was in and out there too. Three years later we went back to CA and he got out of the cage when we first got there and ran away. I never found him again. He was my favorite cat except my Twiggy that I have now. I can't imagine not having clumping litter, especially with four.

:p and then clean the entire bathroom while they are in there!!
Anyone catch AFV last night, and the black & white kitty snooping around the filled bathtub? Poor baby went into hysterics when it fell into the tub, and I went into hysterics as it clawed its way up the owner pulling it out.

Yep, I've seen that one and just about died laughing! But in real life, one reason I've kept the lid down on the toilet for many, many years is because of a very unfunny time my large male cat fell into the toilet bowl, and then couldn't get out. Was funny at the time - the look of fury and desperation on his face - then I got to thinking, what if I hadn't been home when that happened???

I also use clumping litter and am careful about not using cheaper house brands because they just don't work as well. Arm and Hammer is the one I go with and that Koko seems to approve of the most.

Mary, we had a toilet experience as well, with a huge old orange cat we had. When my youngest DS was about 2, I heard a pitiful meowing coming from the bathroom. I went in there and found my 2 yr old trying to flush Worthless down the toilet, while the poor cat braced all 4 legs against the inside of the bowl. I know the cat didn't like it, but it was pretty funny at the time and the expression on his face was priceless!

I'm using the Arm&Hammer Multi-Cat along with the Litter Box Deodorizer powder they put out and I've had really good luck with both, other than, of course, the inevitable litter being tracked through the house LOL. I have those litter mats but they hardly get any use!