Bashing a hutch

Roxxie

I want to try and take apart a michaels hutch without breaking it. I want to use half of it. I don't have power tools or saws so does anyone know another method of how I might get the top part separated from the bottom part?

They are so cheap I thought to soak it but they would probably just disintegrate.

It depends on the hutch, but I took one apart recently by running a flathead screwdriver around the point where I wanted it to break (which was between the top shelved part and the bottom console like part) and then I pulled it apart with my own little hands. I had a little spot on the console part where I had to sand it, but otherwise it came apart beautifully.

Here's he blog entry tht shows how the top part came out:

Cabinet

Good luck- they are pretty easy to bash and for $1, if you mess it up it's not too terrible a mistake. :yes:

Thanks Tiffnay! I really have to get creative with furnishing my farmhouse. I am trying to make as much as possible and at the same time make it look good. Its fun to try anyway. There are so many different styles of the hutches I thought I would try and make a kitchen cabinet from the top and a dresser from the bottom. I have one reserved for a wardrobe and another for a regular hutch. I think if I paint or stain them differently they will work out fine. I was even thinking of using one in the bathroom.

Would a saw work?

I guess it depends on if you want to use the top half or the bottom half. I could see sawing off the top half, but if that's the part you're planning to use, the bottom might get a little messed up.

I've taken apart a lot of the hutches. I've found that microwaving is often the easiest way. It can take as little as 30 seconds to melt the glue enough to pop them apart. Sometimes I've have to insert a thin bladed knife into the crack between two sections and sort of jiggled it back and forth to loosen them up some more.

When zapping your hutch, if it's really hot when you check it, but still holding strong, let it cool a bit before putting it back in, or it'll go up in flames. After the initial 30 seconds, I'll put it in for 10 seconds, and if need be 10 more seconds.

NOTE: Sometimes the little buggers will not come apart neatly no matter what. Any scrapes or gouges can be filled in with wood putty or dry wall compound or spackle if you're painting the piece. If you're planning on using stain, too bad, get out another one and try again. At least they're cheap.

I just put mine in the freezer. It works, and is always good for a laugh when someone opens the freezer and sees it sitting there!

Ditto! Love the What's for Dinner, Mom? Hutches??

After they are frozen, I give them to my husband to break for me. He's good at breaking things, so I figure I'd put that to use!

I just got back on here and just reading all the methods used cracks me up totally! I like the freezer Idea. I am a little worried about the microwave. I did hit the first one with my hairdryer for a bit but I think the opening between the sections was big enough to let me get in there to pry it apart. This other one is pretty tight. How long do you leave it in the freezer? I could really get into this hutch bashing. Its fun! :yes:

Word of warning if you plan to stain....stain will not look right on the "glued" areas so plan on sanding the glue completely off or just painting...

Good luck and happy bashing!

I really don't know how long it takes. I always stick them in there and forget I did it until I open the freezer door (or someone else does) and sees it. What you do then, is take it out, say "well, darn. It's ruined now!' and the pop it apart in front of them.

OK, so I'm easily entertained, but it's fun to see the reactions!

The last hutches I popped apart were just glue gunned together, and not very good I must add. They just came apart for me too, with a little strenght. I only needed to slide my exacto blade into 1 of them to pry it apart. All the other methods do work though, and I tried each 1 on a different hutch, just to see... It's the most fun 1 can have for a buck, that can create multiple minis.

One came apart easy, the other one that slept in the freezer all night is still stuck tightly! Figures! lol

At least if I break it I can pirate the doors for something else. Thanks for the heads up on the stain! I forgot about that. I will probably paint and try aging somehow. :yes:

• 1 month later...

I just took apart a hutch that I thought I had finished using the same method. It was glued pretty solidly I probaby made some toxic fumes because it was all painted and sealed but I just wasn't happy with it. I know some don't agree with the microwave method but I put it in 5 secs at a time and it eventually came apart. Just watch it carefully it does get hot. I grab it out with a cloth. I couldn't get it to come apart with the freezing method but I hear it does work for some people.