Finally some good news :)

chattycathy66

Just wanted to say thanks for all your kind thoughts :yes: Yesterday, it was confirmed that Busia (our name for my grandma in polish) will have a room at the sub acute rehab on the grounds of her retirement community--this is where she wanted to go, if ever there was a need. Yesterday, we had planned to visit a couple different extended care facilities/rehabs where she would go after she was discharged from acute rehab at the hospital--but instead after talking with the admissions coordinator, we found out that there would be room by Monday! Saved us a bit of worry as well as driving,lol.

I was also able to be there and help transfer her to the chair...it does still take 2 people...but if she continues gaining strength, hopefully, one person will be able to help her and then she can go back to her apartment...we are still talking a few months, but at least she'll be back "on her side of the street" (the hospital is across the street from their community and it's such a huge relief for anyone to make it back to the "other side"and away from the hospital :hug: Of course the prognosis overall is grim due to her advanced breast cancer, we know that, but our major goal is to get her back to her apartment with 24hr caregiver....I think if we could give her anything, it would be the comfort of dying in her own home....

anyway...one day at a time :hug:

That is good news, and I'm so happy for you. I admire your grandmother's courage and her effort to get stronger. Physiotherapy is very important to regain strength or keep it up. At that age if you sit still too long, you may never recover.

My Mom (90yrs) has given up. She refused physiotherapy all six months in rehab after her stroke last May, and same thing now in the nursing home. She's paying the price for it. Due to the lack of workout, she hardly has any strength left in her arms. Hence she can't move more than 1 foot in her wheelchair without getting exhausted. If only she hadn't refused therapy, she would have been so much better off. That's why I'm so relieved to read that your grandmother is improving, and that things are looking up for her and her loved ones.

You're all in my prayers.

Sorry to hear about your mom Marianne...(in my experience) it's so easy for stroke patients to get really depressed and just give up...we thought about putting Busi on an antidepressant, but the news that she'll be leaving rehab Monday (and the fact that we washed, set and styled her hair for her, as well as manicured her nails) seemed to perk her up a bit. Can't wait til she can get an actual hair washing, rather than a no-rinse shampoo cap(although they're very cool)

My other grandma fell and broke a hip, and wasn't really into her rehab, so she wound up staying at the nursing home because she coudn't walk but a couple steps. (at that time my mom was working full time and couldn't quit, and my dad "wouldn't" take care of her, and I just couldn't with 3 small kids....so she just wasted away and felt "sorry" for herself ( I could understand that) ....it was very sad....

thanks for the good thoughts and prayers, as you and yours are in mine as well :yes:

After a certain age the cancer becomes less of a health concern than the loss of function from stroke, falls, etc. DH's aunt passed away at the age of 96 and it wasn't the cancer she had that took her.

Here's sending best wishes and hopes that Busia goes back "across the street" soon!

At the nursing home where I worked in CT. the patients there called it going "up the hill"

as the home I worked in was for more seriously ill pts. and when they got better they

returned to their house which was at the bottom of a large hill. :p

Thanks everyone :p

You're so right Holly--the cancer isn't really an issue--it's the day to day stuff.

Well, Busi made it to the "Life Center" as they call it....I can't go til tomorrow, though. When we went Sat. I was able to help the aid transfer her to the toilet--she was even stronger than the day before--and we noticed she doesn't lean in her wheel chair anymore:)

The crazy thing is...I can't figure out my cousins--they live in Las Vegas--and in the last month, knowing what's going on--they haven't attempted to visit ( they are both girls-neither are married, both have decent jobs and still live with my aunt) --dont know if I mentioned it,but they're kind of the "favorites"--mostly because they lived practically next door to Busi growing up.

My mom has talked to my cousin 2 times telling her that things aren't "great", and each time, my cousin has said that Busi says she's ok and will be going back to her apartment. My mom basically told her she should come to see her before it's too late....and still no visit. I can't really say it's a financial issue because I know that if it was that, at least 1 of them could have come--aren't there all kinds of special flight deals from Vegas? They could come overnite and stay at her apartment--it would just be meals.

Now intellectually, I know that this is hard for them-it's hard to think someone will die--people don't like to face that--they don't want to see her like this...well, boo hoo, like it's not tough for me to wipe and clean her behind, and wash her teeth? Even though I'm a nurse and deal with this kind of stuff everyday, is it easier for me to face this? Like I don't have to brace myself our whole visit not to cry? My mom and I have had to be the tough ones, make the tough decisions, and I know for sure, at the funeral--all my other family will be saying poor Meg and Jen.

Sorry, just a little touchy today-glad I could get that out....

This situation is never an easy time for any one and you have my complete admiration for dealing with it head on. I am also glad she has such a strong spirit. As for the other members of your family, believe me they will regret not having the opportunity to say good bye if the situation does deteriorate suddenly. There seems to be an attitude of denial that people get when they face the death of other family members. I think it reminds them of their own mortality.

I have only had to deal with it once for my FIL who lived with us for a number of years. He was in and out of the hospital and had a number of highs and lows that we dealt with and then there was the final one where he broke his hip and had to go into a rehab facility after leaving the hospital and he simply gave up. It was beyond our ability to deal with him at home. The doctors said he had a good chance of recovery, but he would not fight or cooperate.

Both my parents passed quickly so I I did not face what you face. At least I did not have to face the choice of pulling the plug.

Again my admiration for your efforts and if you need to vent it is understandable.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your kind words!! (I think my DH is secretly upset with all the time I'm spending back and forth so he never asks how my grandma is...so I'm a little hurt by that--which if I mention, he'll say, well, why dont you tell me then,lol....this is soooo "Men Are from Mars"....)

Anyhow, the best thing happened today when we went!! My grandma is able to wiggle her fingers (on her left hand) --she can't do much with her wrist yet, but she can lift her arm better....AND...she has "learned" how to pull herself to a standing position and CAN actually almost stand on her own!!! She is 75 % stronger in her bad leg than she was last week when I helped her up to the bathroom (with the CNA s help). I can't tell you how encouraged I am. For the last 6 weeks, when we talk about my grandma going back to her apartment with a caregiver, it's always seemed like we were just thinking positive, and trying to give her some hope---but today, I can actually SEE it happening!!! She has always been such an important part of my life and the thought of her having to spend the rest of her life away from her apartment was killing me. She is such a strong person...I am amazed that at 95 she has done so well after such a devastating stroke. (6weeks ago, she couldn't keep herself from falling over in bed,and today,she can stand and hold her own weight!) Thank you God--what a great Christmas suprise! God Bless all the therapists and nurses/aids who have helped her along the way!!

Merry Christmas, Cathy. That is great news. I'm so happy for her and you. It's such an accomplishment to recover so well in such a short period of time. She must be one determined lady. I have the greatest respect for her. I'm sure your love and care encouraged her. Bless you, and you're both in my prayers.