The Willow front door doesn't open

kidatheart

I am a 72 year old grandma and have always wanted a dollhouse. My husband (my contractor) and I are in the process of putting the Willow together. I knew the front door didn't open and have located some hinges, for a 1" scale dollhouse, do you think they would work? That would make my Willow dollhouse absolutely perfect!

Thank you,

Kidatheart

Yes, you can use those hinges, they look very nice. But, many say they are very fiddly and hard to deal with. Most will tell you to not even try to use the itty bitty nails to get them on, to just glue them, careful not to get glue in the hinge.

But, if you do a search on the General Mini Talk forum, there are many discussions of other, easier alternatives. A favorite, and one I have used, is to use small strips of chamois, ribbon, or even twill tape and sandwich it between the doorframe and the layers of the door. You can also use small pins, and pin-hinge the door.

Oh, and welcome to the group! Please stop by the Newcomer's forum when you get a chance and introduce yourself! When you have 5 posts, you can start an album. We would all love to see pictures of your Willow!

Welcome, Helen, you can make any dh door a working door using the chamois/ twill tape hinging method. Even if your contractor countersinks the hinges for you so they fit flush (I have done that) the "nails" are actually brads & have rounded, not flat heads; so they will not fit flush and the hinges will bind. If you want them to be decorative and not realistic, you can put them on the surface of your door and door frame.

I use the chamois strips and sandwich half of them between the two pieces of the door and the other half between the frame and the wall. I describe the process of hinging a door in my part of the Team Arthur blog. I went on a tear and made all the windows in my Glencroft pub working windows and used the same process, which I described in my part of the Team Glencroft blog.