I need ideas for a handmade ornament please!

A friend of mine on Facebook started an ornament swap and I'm racking my brain trying to think of what to make! It's supposed to be $5 or less and you can buy or make the ornament. I have so many supplies at home that it probably won't cost me a penny to make, but I can't decide what direction to go in? My swap person has kids, little kids, all under the age of 5 so I thought about something with kids? I just don't know! Any ideas that you would like to share would be appreciated :idea:

How about an ornament made out of a door or window for the tree. What is she into? There alot of ornaments you can make without alot of cost in miniature. O.k. I am only able to come up with miniature minded decorations at this time.

How about a spinning top?

take a large bead for the middle two small ones on top and two small ones on the bottom with another half bead under the ones on the bottom all joined with wire or a pipe cleaner. Dress the large bead in the middle with sparkle glue or just paint it different colors. Make sure you leave a long enough wire at the top so you can hang it. :idea:

I was watching. What happened to every one :lol: ?

Dar

Jessie, Michael's has some cute cardboard houses and churches that already have a jute/hemp hanger attached for $1.99 - all you have to do is paint (or fabric) them and embellish with whatever you choose. How can you go wrong with a house or church ornament for a Christmas tree? (I've been working on a few of them myself for gifts :idea: )

Here's a pic of the house that I am working on..not done yet, but gives you an idea of what it looks like. (mine has stucco on it and a sandpaper shingled roof so far) Another one I did, I had DH cut a circular hole in bottom so it could be set over a battery operated tealight to display on a table. Lots of possibilities with these. (Sry, I don't have any pics yet of the church)

Perhaps, Das pronto, or some other air drying clay, cut into Christmas shapes with a cookie cutter, a small hole at the top for a hanging ribbon, then insert beads, or broken jewellery "diamonds", and small chains, to decorate... or whatever you have on hand. The clay can be painted, and varnished too. I especially like a tree, done up this way.

Do you have polymer clay....or honestly you could probably do this a little messier with glued string...Take a glass or plastic (if using the string) ornament...make the persons 1st initial. Bake or let dry...then fill in with a different color. i am making these for my own friends and family members. If you need any more info just let me know. =D

Is this a minature ornament or full size? For full size I just bought 6 clear ball ornaments at Michael's for $2.49. You can fill them with glitter, confetti, potpourri, or anything you can think of and tie a bow on them. Or you can pour paint in them and swirl them around for a marbeled effect, or paint the outside with glass paint or acrylics for a quick and easy ornament. Or even use paint pens on them. There are a lot of possibilities! With this you could paint each child's interest on them, of put the family name. . . You get the idea.

We're having a luncheon for my department next week and I'm painting an ornament with each person's name for a placecard. Cheap and easy but always highly appreciated.

I think making them a figure out of clay the kids would go nutz over.. There is a teapot tut on you tube for making a penguin teapot that is awesome

and is miniature and you can add eyelet and ribbon to make it a ornament...

I just made 10 sleds from popcycle sticks that came from a online tut that was a ornament...

What are you leaning towards??

There's always the chenille stem teddy bears:

gallery_8_8_39077.jpg

They're easy to make and make cute mini ornaments, too. The site I used no longer exists, but you can Google pipecleaner teddybears or chenille stem teddy bears to find others.

Don't forget this thread for DIY sites for other ideas: http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/i...?showtopic=1290

The little cardboard houses would be cute! I have seen those at michael's, and even used the little round house to make a wishing well for the dwarf's house. Just cut it apart, egg carton rocked the bottom and used GL siding strips cut up to put on the roof and a narrow strip of fancy molding to make the two posts on the side. Then you could fill it with candy or something.

Two ideas that you do:

take a mini chair and put a sleeping dog or cat (to personalize the ornament you might ask if the person has a pet) on the seat of the chair then take a scrap of christmas type fabric and either cover up the pet or drape it over the back and headrest of the chair so it looks like a blanket

take a cheap mini wreath and decorate with anything you want or maybe sparkly left over minis and ribbon

java script:add_smilie(%22:xmas_tree:%22,%22smid_25%22)

HOLLLLLY how do you make those teddy bears? OH that is beyond cute! I am a teddy bear fanatic...oh please tell me you make those? :p
The site with the diagrams & instructions no longer exists.

I went Googling for you:

http://www.harvington.org.uk/guides/teddies.htm

http://www.yourspecialtee.com/Crafts/ChChenilleBear.html

http://www.garieinternational.com.sg/clay/furry_stems.htm