crackle finish - is it just me???

macduff

I just built this table for my farmhouse, and thought it would look good w/ a crackle finish on the legs. But I can't get the paint to crackle. I'm always left with what looks like just a bad paint job. Does anyone else have this problem? I have never been able to get a crackle finish. Is there a secret? Can my bottle of crackle finish be bad? I'm using Delta Ceramcoat Crackle. Here's a picture of what I'm talking about. Don't know if you'll be able to see the lack-of-crackle detail on the legs...Any help would be much appreciated!

post-4284-1258904022_thumb.jpg

I've never had any problem with it. But I always put it over one coat of paint and then added another on top of that. No idea how it would work on bare wood. You may have done it too soon, or waited too long. Or maybe the crackle stuff is just old. Hope you figure it out!

Andrea I was just experimenting with this very technique! I am waiting for the layer of crackle to dry as I type. I am using Folkart Crackle medium. I am going to paint the next layer on and I will see what happens.

The last time I tried this it did not crackle the way it should so I am playing before I do it on furniture.

I just painted over the dry crackle medium. I got cracks but its not great. Maybe its the colors we use? I was thinking a darker color under a lighter color might work better. I used white on the bottom and yellow on the top over the crackle.

Thickness of the coat of paint also matters, I can't remember if thick makes cracks bigger or smaller. It's been a lot of years. And after you put it on, DON"T brush it! If you brush it after applying it the first time, it won't crackle. That's the most important thing in applying it, and I speak from experience about that. :(

Sherry, I agree about the thinkness - I think my problem may be the paint brand. I noticed that the Delta paints are in general not as thick as some of the other brands. I thought using Delta paints with Delta crackle would give me better results, but that hasn't been the case. I tried crackling a number of times on various things, and experimented w/ longer drying time, shorter, etc., but I never get the results I see other people get. Next time I go to the store, I'm going to try a different brand. Roxxie -I would think yellow over white would work well - did you get more crackling after it dried a bit? I ended up giving my table a second coat of white, and then distressed it the old fashioned way - with a good dose of sandpaper!

Yes it did crackle a bit more but I am with you on using the sandpaper method. I just played around with that on a piece of white and where the wood shows through it looks great. I use Folk Art paint that I use for One Stroke painting. Its a lot thicker than Delta and goes on smooth like butter ( or as we say in NY BUTTA) :(

There's the old method of achieving a crackle effect by painting over your first color with hide glue and when it's tacky paint over it with the second coat, and as the hide glue dries it causes the top coat of paint to crackle (I haven't tried this, but I believe it predates the so-called "crackle finishes", which might even actually be hide glue, for all I know...).

The cracks that you get also depends on the thickness of the layer of crackle you apply. The thicker you apply the crackle medium, the thicker the cracks. Wait the amount of time required, don't rush it. Then apply one coat of paint and don't overlap . You should get a nice crackle then. I've done crackle painting for a long time and it always works, even with old crackle medium. :(

• 1 month later...

I am bringing up this topic once again because I was wondering if you can crackle over bare wood.

The directions say to basecoat with the color you want to show through the crackle and then paint the outer color on over that. I just want a natural look to show through.

I am using Folk Art crackle medium for acrylic paints.

I'm curious now, as I may do some pieces for this new house. I know with kids, we used to spread a thin layer of plain old white glue over things and then paint to get a crackle effect. Think about what paint does when you try to paint over glue on a dollhouse, same thing.

You are right about that Sherry. I got glue on the dresser top that I was trying to paint and the top just crackled all over the place. lol I didn't intend for that to happen there!

You know, we call this style "shabby chic" but when I got my dresser from my grandparent's barn way back it was painted over several times with layers of various colors of paint I suppose to give it a fresh look. We stripped it down and its beautiful wood now which I wouldn't change. In the farmhouse they used whatever paint they had to freshen things up so it was a patchwork of leftovers. Still trying to get the scrap to do what my glue accident did. Maybe I should just use the glue and call it a day.

• 12 years later...