Orchid Bashing

dlsarmywife

Hi y'all! I am hoping this is the right place to post this.

I own a pair of Orchids...I would like to combine the 2 to make a larger home. (couldn't afford one bigger one. =( Plus I LOVE all the gingerbread! =D ) Hubby and I are pretty handy and can do some minor woodworking. I don't necessarily want to do them back to back, although I suppose it is a possibility. The plan is to have the Orchid(s) on a base platform that I can landscape.

My theme/design scheme is a Quilt Shop/Sewing School. I would also love to be able to add a small studio apartment for the owner. I have thought about adding an additional floor, or an addition to either or both sides. If you have done something like this I would be ever so grateful to get any hints, tips, tricks or even just suggestions you have.

Thanks in advance

Deborah

If you have some 1/8" plywood you can add extra floors. Trace around your second floor and also between the slots for the first floor and the slots for the second floor for the walls, and carefully cut across at the tops of the slots for the second floor, and duplicate the slots at the top of your new walls. These will hold the new third floor, and you can glue the gables back to the tops of the new walls for the roof.

I'm bashing two Fairfields together, so I'm building the second one insideout, relative to the first one. Right now it looks as though they'll be side-by-side when not "in play", when they'll assume an "L" configuration.

Great tips Holly! I'll definitely have to pick up a sheet of 1/8" ply...Lowe's or HomeDepot should sell ply that thin right? If so I'm thinking I could even have them rip it down to about the right size...then all I'd have to do is the detail work. =D

Deborah