Finally finished shingling!

macduff

I finally finished shingling my farmhouse! I started this house about 12 years ago, before I had kids. After it was partially finished and I didn't really have time to work on it, my husband suggested I put it in the basement to protect it from small fingers. Sadly, there was an unfortunate incident involving a heavy box while the house sat in the basement. All the wiring and wallpaper got ripped out when the upper floor collapsed due to the weight of the box that somehow got placed on top of the house. This spring I ripped everything out and started over. I'm really happy with the results, since I've learned so much by reading posts in this forum!

post-4284-1257299201_thumb.jpg

I really like your choices in wall paper! I love that chicken fits right in standing there in the kitchen.

Those curtains in the bathroom are perfection!

ok how did you make those curtains in the upstairs bedroom? the purple/white ones

ooo and the cutains in the living room are perfect as well!

I like all your little hutches as well.

I cannot wait to see it fully loaded!

So - if I am looking at your gallery right, did you inherit the mess labeled day one? And you brought it back to life? Great job. Is that just brick paper on the foundation? I love the bold colors you used. Where did you get your wallpaper?

Oh My Gosh, Andrea it is Beautiful!! This is the house I coveted and is the Very first house my husband bought me back when Michaels used to sell houses. The Dura Craft Farmhouse 505 is so beautiful and Large! I wish I still had mine and I have not found my polaroid pictures of it either. Thank you so much for sharing the picture of yours! I just want this house kit again one day! I Love the colors of your house too.

Thanks everyone for the kind words! I really enjoyed putting this house together, and it's great to be able to show it to an appreciative audience!

To answer some of your questions:

Rhonda, The purple/white curtains are really easy - it's just fabric glued to cardstock. Then I glued a piece of white lace behind it.

Debra, I saw your hutches on your gallery, and they are so beautiful! You've inspired me to redo mine!

Suzy, Day 1 photo is when I started peeling the old wallpaper off. I originally built the house, but then there was an accident that ripped the wiring and wallpaper, so I took it apart and started over. I don't know why there was so much junk crammed in the downstairs. The brick is some kind of material that came w/ the kit - there was a sticky template that looked like brick, and then you put the brick stuff over it, and when it starts to dry you peel the template off, and you're left w/ brick. Haven't seen that anywhere else. The wallpaper is Broadnax. I don't know why, but HBS doesn't seem to carry that brand. My local DH store does carry it, though, and I've seen other internet stores that have it.

Tracy, I'm a huge fan! I love all the houses you build. They are so inspiring!

What fine work! Love the black and white toile wallpaper.

I'd love to know how you got the lace curtains (in the bathroom) to hang so well. Mine are all poofy, because they're only three inches long and the fabric is that stiff. Is there something to dunk them in, sort of an anti-starch?

The brick is some kind of material that came w/ the kit - there was a sticky template that looked like brick, and then you put the brick stuff over it, and when it starts to dry you peel the template off, and you're left w/ brick. Haven't seen that anywhere else.
It's called Magic Brik and is a Magic Systems product that most mini shops carry.

I'd love to know how you got the lace curtains (in the bathroom) to hang so well. Mine are all poofy, because they're only three inches long and the fabric is that stiff. Is there something to dunk them in, sort of an anti-starch?

I pinned them to an ironing board, steamed them and then sprayed with hair spray. Let dry overnight, and then I also glued the bottoms to the window ledge just to be sure they stayed in place.

Spray starch would probably work really well too. I used hair spray because that's what I had.

Nice! Wish i could say the same thing with my house shingling.

I second that! Love how you did the shingles Andrea!

*sighs as she scans the gallery* Love, love, love! Was taking a break from my dollhouses, but now...time to put wear the hard hat once again! :)