Back Surgery 2009

heidiiiii

Heidi, I'm so sorry about the boredom but, it really is a good sign that you're feeling good enough to want to to something..anything lol

At least you can get to the computer for a while and check in, and look at some of the eye candy!

Hugs, and feel all together great soon!

Monica

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a tough job - waiting and allowing your body to heal in its own time. At least you can enjoy the Christmas music, movies ("Elf" and "It's a Wonderful Life" are my favourites) and Christmas cards in the mail. I often used to consider suggesting to the family that we hold off on presents until we could shop in the after-Xmas sales ... never did suggest it, but your situation is the perfect justification. Just think - you will be able to double, if not triple your giving. :lol:

I have fingers crossed that the doctor is pleased with your progress, and that you come back with a positive outlook! :idea:

What about going to a mall when it's not too crowded with Fred and borrowing one of their wheelchairs so you can sit down the entire time? They have a few of them in the malls here where you can borrow strollers. Just a thought....

I am with you in the boredom thing Heidi, though I am not in any real pain. Just annoyed at this point with fuzzy eye sight and no depth perception. Hang in there things will get better!

When our oldest daughter would come home for Christmas during her college years and the first few years out on her own we always has one small gift under the tree and an iou for a certain amount for clothes/household stuff for her apt which she had the choice to shop before Christmas or after. She always wanted to do the sales afterward and we made it a mother/daughter tradition for many years up until the year she married. We always managed to snag her a wardrobe worth three to four times what we spent or some really nice small appliances or other stuff. So shopping the sales can be a very good thing. She still tells me that was one of her best holiday memories (not the the clothes but the fun we had together in the hunt) she has.

Didn't you say that Fred worked at a hospital....they are full of those "grabby"things!!

We had tons at my nursing home also...also I had a car accident in 1985-got a bone

buise on my left hip(of coarse the side sleep on) and was in pain for years.Esp. at night and I slept on that side.Well,my friend brought me a pillow to put b/w my knees and from the very first night that I used it- I NEVER HAD HIP/LEG PAIN AGAIN!Try it!!

Glad you seem to be doing better!!And Congrats on the smoking cessation.I tried

halfheartedly to quit and got down to 4/5 cigarettes a day.Have been that way for 3+ years now.Probably will quit someday.... :idea:

Oh, I guess I should have looked ahead....you did the pillow thing..good for you!!!

Hope the MD is thrilled with your progress!!!

I am home. I am not ready for riding around and going to the grocery store and such. I am tired now.

Dr says that I am ahead of schedule in healing. I have already started this ascending thing that starts at your feet..pain then numbness then normal. Mine has already started..a full 3 weeks ahead of what it should be.

He says if I keep this up, I may not need PT. And here I thought I might have messed up some how and hurt myself. It is all normal.

Fred has to pick off the glue from my back..that should take a couple weeks. Gave him some tweezers for it..Those will be MY mini tweezers when he is done!

So everything is doing good.

That's fantastic ... and I can't think of many surgeries where you get mini tools as a reward! :hug:

:lol: I was thinking the same thing!

What terrific news from the doc - I bet you feel a million times better now! Well, okay, not a million - but a whole lot better than you did. :idea: Keep up the good work, Heidi!

Some of the pain I was feeling was scaring me and I did not know if I had maybe done something to ruin it. No back pain but the leg and foot pain. All normal. When I was telling him about it, he had this shocked look on his face (Fred saw it too)..I was like OH GOSH WHAT DID I DO!!!

He was shocked because I was not supposed to be feeling those things yet. So he gave me a script of Vicodin for night time. I only really need it if I have it really bad. And Fred and I have to walk up and down our street with the dog. He has to come with me just in case I lose my balance. Dr says that I am walking straighter also.

So this is good news.

He gave Fred a suture removal kit. Comes with scissors AND a pair of nifty tweezers. Very good for working on dollhouses and cutting wallpaper....after he picks off all the glue.

I'll bet you didn't think to ask for all that IV tubing after they took it out!lol Actually there are a lot of mini tools and supplies that you can use after you're done with the medical stuff. Suture scissors are nifty for removing lightweight staples to open packets of minis, too.

Good to hear you're doing so well. When you tell us you've been cooking, we'll know you're all healed for sure!

Yeah..i kind of miss cooking. I am able to do a bit of washing dishes though. I have to be careful. Fred (or Natalie or Chelsea) will put the dishes away because I cannot reach.

I just want a bit of normal. I put the Christmas tree together and put the lights on it. I had help so that I did not have to reach or bend down at all. Nat walked Perla yesterday because I did enough with the work on the tree.

I am going to make my peanut butter buckeyes for this holiday...but that is not really cooking..so it does not count..LOL

When I can cook a full fledged meal..I will be happy.

Fred and I are going to do a small bit of Christmas shopping tomorrow morning for the girls. I know what I want to get, I know what store I need to go to, going early when no one is really there, and Fred will carry the bags.

I will be fine.

I ordered Chelsea some books from Border`s online so I did not have to shop for those.

You want to know what I really want to do?

I want to be able to do a full fledged stretch. I am scared to right now. Might have a spasm or something.

When I can really stretch out in the morning, I will be a happy camper.

3 weeks smoke free!!

One more week and it will be an entire month. I am still using the Patch. I change it religiously every day. I am still on the highest dose but next week I will get the next (lower) dose of them. There have been a couple times where I forgot to replace it but I feel I should just use them until I am told I do not need them anymore. I have packs of gum strategically placed in different areas of the house (and my purse). I do not have to chew it like before but when I get a bit stressed (Fred`s sister!!)..I will go to it when I cannot take it anymore. I will chew and blow bubbles until I calm down and then I throw it away.

I am slowly doing better physically. Not ready to do any power walking but I am able to walk upstairs without feeling like I am going to fall anymore. The surgery site still hurts if I sneeze or laugh too hard. But my back itself does not hurt..so I guess I am doing something right. My foot and leg hurt but not as much. Sometimes I dont even notice the pain meaning there is none...and other times , like last night, Fred is running for the half of Vicodin for me. Boredom is still the name of the game.

I still cannot really concentrate fully to do anything constructive yet. I think that is partly because of the anesthesia and partly because of no more cigs. I am doing better. I can actually watch a movie now and read the paper. But reading a book or putting together a dollhouse are not feasible yet. The surgeon did say it will take time to snap out of the fog.

So that is how it is going here with me. I was able to do a very very small amount of shopping in the mall. I cannot walk far or long so it was only in one store..LOL

I did do a bit of online shopping so we are all set for gifts. There are not alot but enough to make them happy.

Shy,

I took a bubble bath over the weekend. Fred was home on Sunday so it was a good day to try. We both wanted him to be here just in case I could not get out on my own.

I was able to get out just fine. No pain or struggles at all. It felt soooo good to soak in a hot bath.

So I will take one bath a week for the soak but I will make sure it is at a time when he is home.

I am glad things are getting better and better for you. I can understand you wishing it was quicker, but it was major surgery and it takes time for the body to recover as I know Fred and your surgeon have assured you! Did the dr give you any kind of forecast on the recovery from the anathesia. Hope you will snap out of it soon!

I know how boring not doing anything can be. My eye is still very blurry but is getting better. I hope this time it all works and I do not have to go through it all again. I have so much waiting on my work bench and I am dying to get back to work.

Oh and Congrats on the stop smoking thing! What a wonderful win for you under stressful conditions.

I hope you have a quicker recovery also Beverly.

The surgeon says that the longer you are under..the longer it can take. I think it is also the fact that I do not have the smoking. He said (at my last visit) that I will see improvement every day..should not last longer then my bending hiatus (a month).

It is better..much better then it was. I am remembering things fine,it is just my attention span is wonky. Most of the time it is okay, other times not so much. The *not so muchs* are becoming farther and fewer.

Do not worry about me. If it concerned me, I would be screaming from the hilltops.