Back Surgery 2009

heidiiiii

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey all. I am home. I cannot be on the computer much because I am not allowed to sit much. So it will be in short spirts.

Thank you all. I am in pain but not excruiating. Kind of like when I had the sciatic attack. My right leg and foot are numb but that is part of normal healing process.

I cannot spell to save my life right now..LOL.

I have not had a cigarette in 3 day and Fred wont buy me any so I guess that is it for me!

I will come back when I can type better. Coffee is brewing, maybe that will help.

I will Anna. I have to change postions alot so I will come on the computer here and there. I will be good. I want this surgery to stick. I am watching the Philadelphia Story and enjoying the solitude. (fred is sleeping, Nat is in school).

Yea! So glad you are home and doing well Heidi! :)

Take it easy, get well soon and wish you great good luck and resolve on the smoking issue. I failed miserably at my last attempt :D The bad spells seemed to come in 3's for me, 3rd day, 3rd week, and then the dreaded 3rd month...I lost that last one. Hang in there!!

Big Hugs!

I am in bed with the dinosaur laptop. I am over the physical addiction to the cigs so now I just have to deal with the psycho part. It will be easy. I am in pain, still sort of out of it, and I cant get to the store to buy any. So that is that. LOL

I did not like the morphine at all. Dr had me on a continuous flow and I was just out of it. During one of my lucid moments he was there. I asked to be taken off the constant flow because it was making me sick. He put me on the kind where I controlled it. 2am the morning after surgery was the last time I pushed it. I am on Vicodin now and that is helping alot.

But I was not in so much pain that I needed such a strong narcotic. The nurses said to make sure that next time you have surgery, let them know that Morphine was not good for you.

I was sick to stomach from surgery (anesthesia), no cigs, and the morphine. I was practically crying because I was so weak and hungry but could not eat. So I was given anti nausea meds that made me sleep some more.

I will tell more later......

I'm surprised the doc put you on a morphine drip, the pump is precisely designed so you only use what you need, so you have control over the nausea, side effects, etc., until the pain calms down enough to be controlled by non-narcotic pain relievers. I'm totally delighted you're home, we really do heal faster and rest better in our own beds! {{{BIG GENTLE HUGS}}} and use your pillow to cough.

Holly,

I was so out of it but I put my very weak foot down. The dr listened and stopped the continuous flow of morphine and left it to the pump where I would control it. I sure did. When I realized that hours had gone by and I did not need to push it..i was done with it.

One other thing I did not like were those booties they put on your lower legs for circulation. Dr said once I was up and mobile, i could get rid of the boots. OT woman gave me a walker and I was off and mentally running. I could walk myself back and forth to bathroom and that made me not have to wear the booties. Yay me!

I am not over doing. I just wanted to get out of the hospital. Now I am back in slow mo but not lazy. I get up and walk around a bit. I stay downstairs for the morning until after lunch..then spend the rest of the day and evening upstairs. I have to slowing builid up my back strength..slowly..very very slowly.

I see surgeon on Dec 1 and I guess I will have PT next.

Welcome back Heidi, we are all so glad to see how well you are doing. Take it easy and congrats on not smoking. The psych part is the hardest part, take it minute by minute. It has been a year and a half since I quit and I still want to pick one up. Good luck on that!!!!! Think of the money you will save that you can spend on Minis. :)

So pleased to hear that the surgery went well and you are back in your own home. Keep taking things easy though, surgery of any kind is traumatic and weakens the body for a while.

I hope everyone is looking after you - enjoy the luxury for a while Heidi.

Take care.

Jo

You get anti-embolism bootees? Our hospital uses those tight white stockings, which are really uncomfy. Fortunately they didn't make me wear them when I got my pacemaker, since I was good to get out of bed as needed. Did you get a boot to weear on your draggy foot? Do you go back to get sutures/ staples out, or did they use the self-dissolving ones? Do let your family help you as much as possible, you're going to tire fast for a few weeks, and for those of us who like to get up & go it's very frustrating!

Hi Heidi! :D I was thinking about you all day and evening - couldn't get to a computer until now. I'm SO HAPPY to read your posts, and to see that you are doing very well! Congrats on pulling it together long enough to veto the continuous morphine - good girl! :) And big, big congrats on breaking the other (I won't say the word) habit .... least said and all that .... :(

:banana: Welcome Home!!

You get anti-embolism bootees? Our hospital uses those tight white stockings, which are really uncomfy. Fortunately they didn't make me wear them when I got my pacemaker, since I was good to get out of bed as needed. Did you get a boot to weear on your draggy foot? Do you go back to get sutures/ staples out, or did they use the self-dissolving ones? Do let your family help you as much as possible, you're going to tire fast for a few weeks, and for those of us who like to get up & go it's very frustrating!

They were the booties that would inflate and deflate on your legs. Everyone kept saying Oh everyone LOVES these things. I did not. They kept me up all night. It felt like Oliver was on my leg and I would go to kick him off, and realize I was still in the hospital.

They did not give me anything for my numb foot. It is not a drop foot, just numb because of the nerve regeneration. Some parts of the day if feels like normal and others it is numb. I walk very easy (with my new slippers on) so that I do not fall.

I have internal stitches AND glue. So I did not even need dressings. The dr took off the first set of dressings, told me that it looked good and I was on my way.

I think it looks horrific but right now it is still healing. I will not have staple scars, so that is good.

Holly, Fred is here and Natalie is here.

This is what I do all day. I get up, bathroom, go downstairs, brew coffee (that is about all I can do), lay down, watch news, get up, walk around, sit in front of computer, get up, lay down, etc etc.

My body tells me when it is time to change positions.

I do not bend, lift, or twist to get anything. If I cant reach it..I yell for somebody else too..LOL

It is true Holly.. You know I am one of those get up and go kind of people. So it is frustrating. But I am giddy upping at my own pace. My back is telling me what I can and cannot do.

I want this to work so I will be good and folllow orders.

Sounds like you are doing well Heidi! Yea! :)

And it sounds like their techniques have improved greatly since DH had his L5 surgery...he has a horrible scar from that one, along with his 20 other surgery scars! I think I married Frankenstein :D Glad you will have minimal scarring. Keep taking it as easy as you can, boring, I know...but necessary in the healing process.

Wishing you a speedy and complete recovery!

Hugs!

Heidi, so GOOD to hear your wonderful progress, both with the surgery and "that other thing" which is best not mentioned. :) Glad you could put your foot down about the morphine - the couple of times I've had that I just hated that woozy feeling, too.

My mom had those inflating/deflating boots at least twice and hated them as well. Just when you're dropping off to sleep, the darn things start humming and then it does feel like someone's sitting on your feet...she kept startling awake and thinking it was her favorite cat from years ago and who was long gone on to the Rainbow Bridge. Not real restful!

So glad you got to go home so soon - at least there you can get some REAL rest!

Yeah, I can rest but I am getting kind of weepy. Lack of You know what plus stuck in the house. I cant go anywhere. Nothing on tv and nothing to do. I cannot bend over or twist or lift..so that leaves alot of stuff out right now. I am not tired and feel light headed from the surgery and the lack of you know what.

So I was teary this morning. Chelsea has my cellphone so I cannot text anyone. I feel out of the loop but I know that will get better. I knew I was going to be isolated for awhile but I guess I did not prepare myself very well.

Since I am not smoking, my two good friends are not allowed to come visit. They both smoke.

I am on day 4...I really really want one.

You can do this, Heidi! Stay away from the cigarettes and it will be a great gift that you give yourself! It's no wonder you are weepy, cigarettes or not, you have been through so much in a short while and your emotions are probably just starting to catch up with everything now that you have to physically slow down. Hey, I'd be balling my eyes out if I was you! Just take it easy and try and deal with the emotions as they come at you - and ask Fred for some extra attention since you probably can't cuddle right now. :)