Base for Lafayette

Terri

I have put many a base on my past dollhouses.....especially when they are the kit homes made of the thinner wood. helps the whole thing to stay sturdier.....sometimes it's like having a small yard or sidewalk to finish too!

Thanks for the reply Donna.

I would like to try my hand at landscaping - I have never done it before. I have purchased a roll of grass and some tiny stones for a sidewalk from a train hobby store. I think it will be fun and will make the house look more finished.

I think 5/8" thick will be good because the Lafayette is a pretty light weight house.

Terri

We put my farmhouse on 5/8 inch mvf. It weighs about 60 lbs, and has to have a sturdy base. DH and DS2 are going to build a bottom set of legs with casters on them and make a rolling table of it. Landscaping on top, a pretty molding on the edge, and you're ready to go! I have yet to build a house that I haven't put a base on, and for sure will with the lighter Greenleaf houses, for just the reason you mentioned. But I don't think they would have to be that thick, since they are relatively lightweight. But it sure can't hurt!

Terri...I usually put a base under all my projects. It really helps keep your house stable when you move it. I like to use 1/2" plywood, but often use whatever I happen to have. On one of my houses, I put a lazy susan under it so I could turn it easier & the plywood worked well for this.

Steve in PA

Thank you for all your help. The Lafayette is not very big or heavy so I think maybe 1/2" might be enough. How do you attach the house to the plywood...I always to use Aleen's glue for everything. Will that work?

5/8" plywood is pretty heavy duty. I generally use something thinner, but if that's what you have handy, it's more than adequate.

Turntables are great under dollhouses, don't know what I'd do without them.

Also, gluing felt to the underside of the base will keep your house from scratching tables, and if you don't have a turntable, you can slide the house around to get at the back. Sometimes I used to do some work while at the dining room table so I'd put the house on a folded sheet, tablecloth or towel then turn it this way and that while working.

Thanks for all the help everyone...never thought of glueing felt on the bottom. Makes sense for sure. Because the Lafayette is so light, even with plywood I don't think I'll need a turntable, but for the San Franciscan I think I will for sure...it's pretty heavy.

Once I get the Lafayette landscaped I'll start on the San Franciscan. I want to get them both totally finished before I start on my next project. I have the Sugar Plum, The Brookwood and the RGT Plum Pudding stashed in the closet. I've never done wiring so I thought maybe the Sugar Plum would be a good one to learn on. What do you think? I've already purchased a basic tape wiring kit along with the video of instructions so hopefully I won't have too many problems.

My Dad built a nice peanut shaped base for mother's ArtPly Tennyson, it is mounted onto a turntable and allows there to be green glued on grass and a brick walkway. I think my photo on my album Tennyson might show it? It does sturdy up the house!

That base looks good...I think I might go a bit bigger though. I was thinking I'd like a bit of lawn at the front, sides and back. I'm waiting for my husband to cut the plywood and I'll see what I can do.

The Tennyson is beautiful. You did a wonderful job Barbara. How is your San Franciscan coming along?