Momma Guilt. Do you have what it takes!?!

bookmarm

Gosh! How do you develop a really great talent for impressing 'guilt' on your kids?

Practice Practice Practice.

My mom is an Artiste!

I'm just in awe of her skills sometime! Anyone have any tips? I don't think I've got the skills for making my kids writhe and avoid me yet. She's got 92 years under her belt, but I can probably learn :laughbounce:

I really do not know how I do it but i just do. I think I inherited it from my Mom. I try really hard sometimes to hold back cause I remember how it felt. But when they deserve it..I give it to them! hehehe

This year I told the boys "I really think that you should get your dad something for father's day this year and not let what happen on mother's day happen again". They had done nothing for mother's day. My words worked on both of them (10 and 16), so I must be able to put some guilt on them that sticks! :laughbounce:

LOL, my guys are actually sort of sweet and thoughtful. Guess I was overwhelmed by the phone conversation with my mom at work yesterday (remember, she's 92 with all the bells and whistles).

Let me set up the scenario:

Me: at work. Branch manager today, so have to arrive 8:30 to reconcile the cash register, get the computers logged on, do the statistics from the previous day, get the book delivery ready for our delivery guy (we are first, so he comes at 9:10). Regular staff arrives around 8:50. Doors open at 9 for patrons. We are short several regular staff, so the subs are arriving without keys to get in. I have a camera on the front door, so I can see who is there while I'm in the back room.

8:50 'RING'..

Mom: "I gotta have three teeth removed".

"Sorry Mom, what can I do?"

"I don't have anyone to take me and I might have a heart attack in the dentist chair."

"I hope not!"

"Molly (my cousin) says she can take me because I don't have anyone else."

"Gee,, why didn't you tell me?"

"You are too busy."

"Well, I am busy, but not too busy to be with my Momma if she needs me!"

"I just want to know if the doctors' office can call you here if I have a heart attack."

"Sure, Mom. If it makes you feel better, I can probably accept the call."

..."Where do you you want to to be buried, Ma?"

meanwhile, on the camera monitor I can see my temp staff arriving. Also present are several patrons who are peering through the front window, knowing it is 9:00 and we should be open. I tell mom that I'll call her back, but I need to open the library. She says "you are always too busy for me!' and hangs up.

"I just want to know if the doctors' office can call you here if I have a heart attack."

"Sure, Mom. If it makes you feel better, I can probably accept the call."

..."Where do you you want to to be buried, Ma?"

:laughbounce:

In my world, it's the other way around. My children dump their guilt on me and make me feel horrible. All due to the divorce which happened way back in the late 70's. They just didn't understand then, and they refuse to understand now why it happened.....

My grandmother controlled all of us through guilt until I got old enough to figure her out. In her 90's she told me that when she died, she wanted her toy poodle, Jackie, put to sleep and buried with her when she died, because she was her 'only' friend.

I told her that was fine, I could do that. Then I added 'What do you want me to do if Jackie dies first?'

I don't think she ever forgave me for that one.

In my world, it's the other way around. My children dump their guilt on me and make me feel horrible. All due to the divorce which happened way back in the late 70's. They just didn't understand then, and they refuse to understand now why it happened.....

That is so sad :laughbounce: . Kids really don't understand things about their parents, and sometimes never take the time to understand the why of back then.

I must admit that I did the same thing to my mother for far too many years when I blamed her for my father's death in 1977. I hope that I stopped long ago, as I now just say that that was then and this is now, because I understand everything so much better now.

ROFL sherry! Love that!

The girls have tried to guilt me but I was brought up by the Master. Those two do not have to skill yet to really inflict major damage yet..ROFL

My favorite guilt story was a "Jewish mother" joke. Sorry any Jewish mothers out there. I am sure none of you fit this stereotype.

Mama gave her son two ties for his birthday, a red one and a blue one. The next week we wore the red tie to his aunt Rachel's anniversary party. When his mother saw him she said "So, what was wrong with the blue tie, that you didn't wear it?"

Well, as I am not a mum but a "Mz" and teaching the young little ones, can we call it a professional guilt trip :) I can even "get to" (and by this I mean it in the best kind of ways LOL) to the kids parents when needed... :welcome: I don't do it to often I promise but it sure works... I only use the guilt trip when it really benefits the kid though LOL...(And on my brother when it comes to his kids, heheh..,. )

Hugs

Hey, Gayle! My mom's 92 too! She's a master at the guilt trip. Maybe that generation has the corner on those. My son tries to guilt me into taking care of stuff for him (he lives an hour away). It worked when he was in Afghanistan, but no more! His stuff...his responsibility.

The kids guilt does not work on me. Never has. The longer they whine or cajole, the deeper my heels go. They have learned. I do not pile guilt on them (at least I hope I do not) and I do not want the same.

I had enough from my mother. I do not want to repeat.

But if I have to pull it out of my bag of tricks..I know exactly where it is stored. hehehe