Facebook no more

KathieB

I've quit cold turkey. I no longer have a facebook account. All of the messages from friends and relatives and strangers sending me mysterious gifts and asking to be linked and all of that nonsense got to be seriously annoying. It took the longest to figure out how to delete my account, but I persevered. I got a message from the Facebook folks saying that if I log back on in the next two weeks, the account will be reactivated, but I can't imagine that happening. I can't tell you how nice it is to no longer be a part of that scene.

I should probably have posted this in the decluttering thread. It is, after all, an IT declutter. :)

You know Kathie, I am not liking the Facebook account thingy either ;) . It could be that I just don't understand all of the games n stuff people send me. I "opt out of it" and still get them from others. I like twitter and blogspot but I am just not really feeling the Facebook thing either. I keep debating about if I should close my account too :rofl:

Congratulations on finding the way to close :)

I had several friends push me into joining Facebook, all within a two week period..so I did...and now I've heard nothing from any of them. I think I'm going to clear out my account there and just keep my friends regular email addresses. I may have to email you though if I can't figure out how to do that! :rofl:

I love my Facebook. I have found School friends and am able to stay in touch with others as well.

You don't have to play any of the games or things. But some are cute.

It is hard at first to get the hang of it....But it gets easier as you go.

And it is Much SAFER Then My Space!!!

Same for me Cyndy. I never respond to any of the requests and just ignore all of them. But I do like keeping up with the old school friends I found on there and my son and his friends who used to pile up on my living room floor every weekend. My ex-husband and I even keep up with each other now. He is in a great relationship as well as I am and so we became friends again, which is nice. I do not play any of the games but I do log on once a day.

I pop in a few times a day briefly to check on friends and family. There are only a few who keep a running chatter. Only one connection I sort of regret, and not an unpleasant person at all...just more than I want to hear about her newborn every few hours. I am so isolated from all of our family except my mom, so this has been nice to keep up with cousins, nieces and nephews, and SILs. Things do get wild at times when the cousins start throwing food and sending rounds of drinks, but that tends to be special occasions (like Saturday night after too many margaritas). Then I just duck out.

Dropped my account baht a year ago, after all of abaht 6 weeks. I just didn't go there. If you have friends you can email. I didn't think I needed my info out on the site when I went there maybe once a week if that.

And before anyone says 'your info is only available to those you invite', if it's on the site, it's available.

I agree, Andrew. I don't need my information out there. The few people on it that I really keep in touch with, I do with telephone, email, and <gasp> handwritten notes sent via snail mail.

Ann, I Googled "delete facebook account" and the first item up was this link. It is a facebook group entry, not an official account page, but it has the information. The group owner has this to say further down the page:

Please note that I'm not a part of the Facebook team, and consequently cannot fix anything that's broken. If you are experiencing problems with the link above (or anything else concerning your account) your best bet is to contact facebook directly using this form: http://www.facebook.com/help/contact_generic.php

If someone has stolen your identity or if you are subject to any other form of "account abuse", try this form: http://www.facebook.com/help/contact.php?s...rm=fake_profile

And below that:

Why am I doing this?

Well...I figure this is my last chance to do something heroic. Some day I will be able to look back at my life and honestly say "You know son...once I was a true rebel!" :)

Spread the word, invite all your friends!

And don't forget...Keep on rockin' in the free world! :rofl:

it's what you make it. No info you share there isn't already available with a bit of digging on the web. Go to your county tax web site and search your address. Ladies, they may have your 'cup' size there somewhere. Guys, I dunno...I'm sure they've got you there, too.

I enjoy Facebook. I don't add applications but just passivity enjoy hearing about my friends and familys exploits. I sometimes comment and sometimes add a wall post. I love being connected but I don't feel the need to take every quiz etc that anyone posts and I have never (yet) sent a gift (but have been tempted).

Lisa R.

I am a member ofFacebook and I belong to several organizations that use it to communicate with members. I am carful about what I put in my profile and anything I write. I enjoy seeing the comments made by others and trying to figure out what some people mean. I check it, along with my email daily but sometimes I don't write for weeks. It's all in what you make it. Rita

I never Facebooked.I really just joined Greenleaf-which I love, and will occassionally

wander over to UTube when I'm looking for music I can't find on ITunes. (AC/DC,

the CULT,NIN...) :unsure:

I like the convenience of Facebook. I've got friends and family members that don't live in the same city. My nieces and nephews are always on the go. I find it almost a one-stop site to catch up and send notes. I don't do the applications or quizzes. Its just a place where I usually just send pm's to my friends/family members. But I do quickly scan (not read) through the daily status updates page. If something interests me, I'll either send a pm or post a comment.

I don't put anything on my site that I'm concerned about "being out there".

-Susanne

I joined FB because I wanted to see my cousin's vacation pictures, then it stayed dormant for a long time. Until I found out that a lot of people from way back in my past, dear friends I had lost touch with, were now on FB. But I don't like the "sending" things -- send a hug, send a beer, etc. I think that's just stupid and I don't respond. But I have enjoyed "visiting" with old friends, many of them overseas.

But when I log onto my computer in the morning -- it's the Greenleaf forum I check into first! ;) That's a lot more fun! 'Course here at GLF I'm also learning lots of things by reading the posts and the blogs. FB is just chit-chat.

I've never had a FB account, but I've had 2 Myspace pages. The first one I deleted, the second one I put up with no contact info, no friends' list, no comments list. That's because I got tired of having to delete all the comments I didn't want posted, all the comments I didn't want posted by friends because they were too embarrassing and then had to worry about hurting their feelings, the constant friend requests that I didn't want and the constant hurt feelings because I never responded back as fast and as often as other people who sent me messages (sometimes 6 in a day).

So my little Myspace page sits there alone and happy and in two years I've about 150 visitors and I only have 4 friends added, even though I made sure to tell them they wouldn't be able to contact me or see themselves on my page.

And it's peaceful.

I wanted to share what Facebook has done for me. These are the only two pictures that I own of my parents when they were younger. This is when they were dating.

1943 at Revere Beach in Massachusetts (i think).

I got back in touch with my Aunt and cousin on Facebook. My aunt is doing a photo montage of the family. She found out that I had no pictures (my sister has them all).

I received these in the mail yesterday.

She is thrilled that she made me so happy. So she is going to talk to her sister, my other aunt, to see if she has any more photos to send me in the mail.

So I am very glad that I signed up for Facebook. It has given me more then you would ever know.

Heidi, that's wonderful!! I'm glad that Facebook has been so good for you. :wave: Funny - I have pics of my mum and dad (when they were dating) at the beach! I know how much they mean to me - I'm really happy that your aunt was able to send you those precious photos.

I think if it works for you, that's great. I just don't like friends pressuring me to try something, when I've made it clear that I don't want to. Different strokes for different folks! :lol:

I just joined Sunday. My daughter and best gal pal have been bugging me for quite some time to do so. Girlfriend really wanted me to as there is a page for our high schools class. Been a blast to "see" and talk w/ everyone. Yes, I went kicking and screaming into the 21st century!

Heidi.........now how cool is that? It still just amazes me that we talk on facebook, talk on a mini forums, send emails, shop, etc............. all from our own little world......friggin crazy!