Slightly Irked

Margaret

A friend of mine(at least I thought he was a friend) knew I was building a dollhouse and offered to pick up some stuff for me.He told me it wouldn't cost me anything.Yesterday I get an email stating that he needs a baseball cap from some football team and a t-shirt and some other cap and he has to have it by July 28.I am feeling used right now.I politely and succinctly informed him that I can not buy the items as I am financially strapped.I am so ticked off by his actions.

Pros and cons. He said yours would be free, so you shouldn't feel obligated to reciprocate. However, if you are in an area to get the things and he can't, maybe he felt asking for a favor would be ok. Does he know you can't afford it? Perhaps you could say you could get them, but you need money for them first?

How bizarre... I'm surprised someone would make such an assumption. It's almost mob-like where he did something for you... now he's calling in his favor! Weird.

TANSTAAFL....lesson learned......I've heard this saying more than once......The saying "there ain't no such thing as a free lunch", often abbeviated to TANSTAAFL, refers to this custom, meaning that things which appear to be free are always paid for in some way per wikipedia.....

I never accept "free" things as "free". It's always in the back of my head the someone will show a desire for something at some point, and I assume the responsibility, that I would want to get it for them, just to repay the favor, so to speak, and not feel like I got a handout. It's that whole, give and take thing. Too bad you're not in a position to get him, his coveted items, up to the cost of what he gave you of course. I'm sure you would if you were, but it was rude of him to actually ask. Hints would have been more appropriate, and usually how friends handle things.