Help-Flooring Question

Margaret

Yes, I've used them! They work great! That's what's in my BH. They can be cut up into 1 inch squares and used as dollhouse scale tiles too. They wood pattern ones, look like real wood flooring. I'm always on the lookout for open boxes in hardware stores. Sometimes you can get acceptable patterns for pennies each, so the price is right too. Best of luck.

Absolutely the peel & stick tiles make terrific dh flooring. Tracy/ Minis on the Edge showed a floor using Rik Pierce's method of cutting grouting lines into the top layer of a tile to simulate stonework, and our own Greenleaf store sells tiles & floorboards ready-to-use,

floors.jpg

as I have in both the Magnolia and the Laurel I rehabbed:

gallery_8_988_98948.jpg

gallery_8_1103_348646.jpg

I painstakingly cut real life size peel and stick vinyl tiles into small squares to do the floors of my very first dollhouse. I didnt have any experience in building back then. It works, but I wouldnt ever attempt to do it again.

OMG This is exactly what I am doing as we speak, no kidding, I am cutting up a RL foot square vinyl wood floor look tile into very thin strips to put on the floor of my rehab Beacon Hill, I cant beleive this, and yes it is working just fine, as the previous owner had stuck some kind of yukky felt onto the floor and I cant for the life of me get it off, so I am going straight over the top (Saving on bottles of valium and prozac here) I will put some pics in my gallery when I get a littel more done to it.

Cheers Debra.

I have done the small 1" squares on several of my houses. I went to Lowe's & got regular floor tiles at less that $1 each & cut them down to 1" squares. In my album, under 'How I Did It' you can see one of the floors. I just clamped a metal ruler down on the tiles & used a utility knife to cut them. The floor must be free of dust to install them, so I use tack cloth to get the dirt off. Also, I make a template of the floor from newspaper first & lay the tiles on this. It is a lot easier to take the floor up if you ever want to change it.

Steve in PA

The slate flooring in my front-opening montgomery is plain old peel & stick tiles cut into 1 inch squares. I stuck the tiles to template made of regular paper & then slid the whole thing into the house. I wanted the floors to be removable for wiring purposes.

Yes I have used it, except it was peel and stick vinyl flooring, just cut it and stuck it! Except you have to make shure you sand first, and sometimes put a primer on first, but don't glue it, it will ruin the bond.

Love your Seaside kitchen floor. How did you get the grout lines painted so neat and straight and all?! You must have a very very steady hand!

Beautiful floor!

I've used them on my verandah and in my bathroom, the verandah ones are vinyl and the bathroom ones are a formica type material - vinyl is much easier to work with but the formica give a great finish,

Jo

I use the Greenleaf vinyl tiles and hardwood flooring and LOVE them! They're so easy to work with and I love the results. One tip that I can share to bring out the best in any peel and stick tile is to put a coat of poly gloss varnish over the top. Ooooooooooooh, the shine is soooooooooooooo pretty!!

Deb

Thanks for this topic! After reading all the posts,I thought I'd try it. We went to Lowe's, where I bought 2 different patterned peel and stick tiles for 88 cents each. I cut them into 1" squares and stuck them onto cardstock in a diamond pattern, and glued that to the floor. I'm putting them in the Rosedale that I'm rehabbing, that I'm going to offer to the neighbor who gave it to me.

I scored them with a utility knife and snapped them apart, but it was tedious. I'm thinking that since I really like the look, I'd like to do more in other houses. So, I wonder if I got one of those old, heavy duty guillotine paper cutters I would have straighter cuts.