asking for prayers for a friend

bookmarm

her grandson, age 7, has been diagnosed with a cyst on the pineal glad of his brain. I am so very sorry for this news. This is a wonderful hopeful family who cheered on and encouraged us through our youngest son's illness several years ago.

This little red headed fellow is wise beyond his years and a joy to his family. We know this is possibly a curable situation, but are worried along with his loving family!

Please keep him in your thoughts!

I don't know what the "pineal gland" is, but I am very familiar with cysts on the brain. When I was 14, doctors discovered I had a subarachnoid (the membrane that covers the brain) cyst in the brain after I had a CT of my head. A cyst is usually benign, (its a fluid-filled sack) but in the case of cysts in the head they have an extra layer of protection. Other cysts can get infected and cause problems, but humans have a blood/brain barrier. This means infections, viruses, etc. in the bloodstream are unable to cross into the upper half of your head and infect brain tissue. Otherwise we would become incapacitated or risk death every time we caught a cold. Sinus congestion is another self defense response for protecting our grey matter. So my cyst (and most likely your friend's son) won't ever become a problem. One other thing about cysts-they usually form when your body develops a void. It fills in the space. I developed a cyst in my right kidney after the lower portion failed. The area where the tissue died and shrunk now has the cyst filling that void. If you try to drain a cyst it will refill with fluid, but puncturing the membrane will increase the chance of infection. The cyst in my head is on the right side only, but it fills all of the space from my ear canal to my forehead-about 45% of the right half of my brain. The tissue most likely died off when I wasn't even born. I'm obviously not a doctor, but I would be willing to bet that his cyst is secondary to whatever is going on.

Hopefully his cyst is just one of those things they found by accident and isn't indicating something more serious.

BTW, I was in gifted and advanced classes when I was diagnosed and I have had 0 problems.

he is a very wise little fellow and I love to chat with him when he comes to visit at the library.

The pineal area seems to be in the center bottom of the brain near ocular area. I googled some info briefly and am not a medical person, but seems like the pineal gland is very tiny and resembles a pine cone (thus the name). The cyst was found after he started having persistent headaches, so the doctors did scans and found it. It is partially calcified. They are still waiting on the doctors to decide if they should biopsy or not.

Thanks you for the encouragements you send. These are very dear friends and I'm worried along with them. I feel all will be okay, but I know that their waiting for an answer to a scary situation is hard

Thoughts and prayers for your friends son!

{It's so much harder when it's a child I think---I know we all probably know sick children--I just heard that the son of one of my kids favorite teachers (who's been battling Wilm's tumor -of the kidney- and just underwent a stem-cell transplant, possibly has a recurrence and has many "growths" in his lungs--his parents were told that nothing else could be done and they should just enjoy their time--but now there's some confusion about what these "growths"are--tumors or pockets of infection--awaiting biopsy reports}

Anyway, hope all works out for this charming little boy :giggle:

I haven't had any news on today's visit yet. Keeping fingers crossed and hopeful. This whole extended family has been through many, many health issues for years (polio, rare bone disorders, one young fellow has lost a leg to a tumor before graduating from college, etc). I can't tell you how self-healing they are with their wounds. These are folks who step around their own hurts to ask how they can help others through troubles.

Thank you for the thoughts that I will pass them to his family! I'm the selfish one here...I want everything to be okay for this little fellow. Thank you for listening!