Plumbing your dollhouse

macography

When I was a child (in the '50s) I had a toy sink, small as for dolls, but not 1:12 scale, and it had working faucets that would actually turn and release water from the reservoir attached to the back. It was my absolute favorite toy - a forerunner of my passion for miniatures!

So it can be done! You'll just have to get very creative B)

Unless, of course, it has already been done in 1:12 scale and I haven't heard about it.

You'll probably get more help in this Forum -- there are a lot of experienced and very smart people on board! They know a whole lot more than I do. ;)

Hi, I, too, wondered about plumbing to no avail. BUT, where can we get the pills

to shrink us to be able to live in the house of our dreams?

Wonder if hobby stores could answer this?

I am working on the travel trailer like my sister, Pastalinda, right now and will have electricity and water hookup from the campground.

Mopsidot

I've seen a real water running sink in 1:12 at The Little Dollhouse Company, in Toronto. They have a little pump in the back and the taps do run real water!! It was $100.00 for just the sink! They do exist, but the price is too high for my blood!

I've seen a real water running sink in 1:12 at The Little Dollhouse Company, in Toronto. They have a little pump in the back and the taps do run real water!! It was $100.00 for just the sink! They do exist, but the price is too high for my blood!

I just did a quick search at The Little Dollhouse Company's website and I couldn't come up with that sink. I did a search under sink, and sink with running water. If there's another site that anyone knows about I would also be interested in it.

You could use plastic tubing behind false walls to run the water to bathroom and kitchen. Use plastic tubing to drain the water also.

A small pond for a receptacle is a good idea. If you plan to display it at a fair or for a contest then add a gold fish to your pond. B)

Queen Mary's Dollhouse not only has running water, but I understand the little cars in the garage have real petrol in their tiny tanks. I live in a hot, humid climate, and I would NOT want running water anywhere near any of my dhs.

I'd love to be able to see (in person) a dollhouse that had running water - I think it would be an amazing thing to see!!!

With that said, however, I wouldn't want real water in my dollhouses. Too much realism for me when it comes to busted pipes, leaking fawcets & clogged drains :p I'd be nervous about the potential for water damage to my houses.

Well, on my 2nd home ( a country magnolia home) I made my own little bathroom with stainless steel sinks, and a tub, which i could pour water into and it would go into a large bottle cap which i drilled in the living rm ceiling, so when you unplug the drain it goes down. Also, I sealed everything whith caulk, and putty, so I like to be really realistic, i just can't find anthing twhith real running water.

• Like 1

The local hobby shop here sells small PVC pipes in different diameters. I'm using them for "plumbing" in the basement. They look like drain pipes, but wiring for the lights run through them instead of water.

I'm certain I could plumb a house, but without working sinks, tubs, etc. to connect the plumbing to, it wouldn't work. The risk of water damage is another factor in leaving water out of my construction plans.

Queen Mary's Dollhouse not only has running water, but I understand the little cars in the garage have real petrol in their tiny tanks. I live in a hot, humid climate, and I would NOT want running water anywhere near any of my dhs.

The motors even run!

I think that I'll stop at electricity. :p I have yet to make the attempt.

Now maybe a running fountain in a garden....

It also has working elevators I believe.

"If you plan to display it at a fair or for a contest then add a gold fish to your pond."

PATBIDLACK, this is hardly funny.

Goldfish are among the most abused pets, due to ignorance. Please visit this website:

http://www.mu.edu/~buxtoni/puregold/home.html

and the next time someone mentions them slightingly, please educate them.

Think about it: does it really make sense that it would be so easy to create another ecosystem, completely foreign to our air-based one??

Keeping fish is not child's play, that's why they have a reputation for being delicate (they're not; they're related to carp for pity's sake!!).

A well-kept goldfish lives 20-30 years, depending on the breed, and there are more goldfish breeds than there are cat breeds.

Please do not contribute to misinformation.

Adorabelle

Ok, you guys are getting off topic! I was reffering to real plumbing not from a pump but like you could hook a hose up to the house and you would have mini pipes running the water to the sinks, and etc. Not goldfish

Nick, someplace someone posted a link to dollhouse plans that included running water. I recall seeing them, but can't recall where or when or even how. Sorry for the senior moment. :giggle: I don't ever recall seeing mini faucet sets that really work ... hollow pipes, handles that turn it on and off. I think a micro-machinist would have to cu$tom make them.

But for a house where all of the water faucets/showers ran at the same time, I don't see why they couldn't be jury-rigged from tiny copper or brass piping and a recirculating pump. I can see how this could be done if the pump and main water chamber (bucket?) were beneath the house and the drains from each fixture led back down into the chamber. A set up on a microwave or TV cart would do the trick.

Are you going to try it?

Nick, someplace someone posted a link to dollhouse plans that included running water. I recall seeing them, but can't recall where or when or even how. Sorry for the senior moment. :hug: I don't ever recall seeing mini faucet sets that really work ... hollow pipes, handles that turn it on and off. I think a micro-machinist would have to cu$tom make them.

But for a house where all of the water faucets/showers ran at the same time, I don't see why they couldn't be jury-rigged from tiny copper or brass piping and a recirculating pump. I can see how this could be done if the pump and main water chamber (bucket?) were beneath the house and the drains from each fixture led back down into the chamber. A set up on a microwave or TV cart would do the trick.

Are you going to try it?

I will try it! Thanks for the reply!

• 3 years later...

Nick:

Did you ever build your house with working plumbing? My goal, which I am estimating will take just over 18 months, is to create a stick built house with in-wall electricity, automatic garage door, working home movie theatre (powered by my iTunes library), working plumbing and even an outdoor pool (which can be separated from the main display and used mostly for showing). I would love to know if you found someone who can produce the faucets and whether or not you were able to turn on and off faucets separately.

Also, if anyone has any advice on either the stick-built house or the working plumbing - I would love to hear it. I've checked out Mike's blog on stick-built as well as some other resources - but the more the merrier.

This is my 4th and probably final dollhouse - so I want to go all out...and I do mean all out...I would even use a working fridge if I could find one!

MJ