What An Obnoxious Book!

Lynette Smith

Isn't it all just a matter of personal preference?

Some people prefer a house with clean lines, like Georgian or a simple, unfurbelowed, style farmhouse Victorian, for example. That's just what they like, period.

For others, it's all about the interiors. That's the side they want to show off. They'd almost be happy with stacked roomboxes, nothing wrong with that.

Interiors people may also like a house they don't have to fuss with, so they can get right down to decorating.

I think so many of the Greenleaf houses are divine looking. If I had a really big gallery space I would be tempted to build them all and make village scenes with gardens and trees, and never bother to finish the insides. I like big rooms, that's one reason I like to scratch build.

There's a different style dollhouse for everybody.

It's like when I used to go shopping for fabrics back in the days when I used to sew clothes and make quilts. Sometimes I'd see such an awful looking, hideous fabric, and I'd wonder why they ever bothered to print it. Of course, somewhere there was someone who liked it.

The person who wrote the book just didn't write a very good one, and I hope she made very little money from it. She apparently didn't represent facts, but more her opinion.

I saw a few people mention that Greenleaf and Tracy should write their own books. Greenleaf DOES have their own books! Dollhouses to Dreamhouses Books 1-3!! While they're out of print, I think HBS has the first one (With the Beacon Hill on the cover) and you can occasionally find books 2 & 3 on ebay or Amazon.

THOSE books are the BEST! Not only do they showcase Greenleaf's style perfectly, they also show how bashable and creative you can get with a GL house. It was the first book that gave me the inspiration for my Arthur Dollhouse Store and the third book that gave me inspriation for turning a Brimbles into something different (top secret project).

I can easily see Tracy and Dean updating those books using Tracy's methods of paper clay, Deb's methods of decorating, and the new Laser Cut methods. Sooooo how about it? I have room on my bookshelf :)

Sadly, all the dollhouse stores I have ever visited seem to feel the same way as this book. Only selling the big, heavy houses and no tab and slot houses. One of the women that works at the store I always go to told me that they discourage newbies from getting tab and slots, and they only stock "higher quality" kits. Maybe they will get some of the new laser cut ones and realize alot of people like tab and slot.

I must state once again that we need to Remember who our Host is (Greenleaf Dollhouses) so with that said, on this Forum, Greenleaf Dollhouses IS number one and that if anyone love their other brands, it is fine to share your pictures about it and things you are doing to it, BUT please don't get offended if you name the Brand and add links to competitors websites and find later that your post has been deleted or edited.

We have to remember, we are In Greenleaf's "Resturant". If you don't want to hear "Greenleaf Fans to the Core" Sing Praises to the Greenleaf Brand and say why they are not attracted to other brands, instead of complaining and threatening to leave, either deal with it or do whatever you need to do to make you feel comfortable. As stated before, No other dollhouse manufacturer out there allows chatter on their Blog, Forum OR Website about their competitors. This Is The Greenleaf Dollhouses Forum. We Promote The Greenleaf Brand First and Foremost. The allowance to talk and chatter about the other brands is like a dessert after a meal. It taste good but you don't eat too much of it. On This Forum, The Greenleaf Dollhouse Brand IS the MAIN Course NOT The Dessert.

I am Closing this topic now and Please let's put Book reviews in this topic here:

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/i...showtopic=21471

No Other Comments Allowed in the Book review topic. Only the reviewer should post there. We want people to give their honest opinion of their book that they read.

Greenleaf (Dean) goes out of his way to make this a forum to talk about his products and offers games and contests throughout the year to promote his products. To me, Dean gives us this forum and in return I give him and his company my loyalty.

Wendy, I agree!!

WOW! This topic sure turned into a wild ride! I apologize for posting here after the topic has been closed, but I feel that there is some healing needed.

I appreciate the kind words said about my company, but I also appreciate those who have defended their favorite brand of dollhouses. Look, we're all passionate about our hobby so sometimes, we can't help but stand up for that which we love. The truth is, beauty is in the eye of the beholder... there is no right or wrong here when it comes to choosing your dollhouse. This community is hosted by Greenleaf, so naturally, Greenleaf fans are in the majority (I hope). That doesn't mean that fans of other manufactures are not welcome. The fact is that I've gone out of my way to make this forum available to all miniaturist with dedicated forums for other manufacturers, there are blogs dedicated to houses I don't make and I'm willing to bet I have more pictures of other brands of dollhouses posted here than most manufacturers have of their products on their own sites! We gather here to talk about miniatures of all kinds and not argue points of taste.

I would like to point out that I don't step in when people have, what I might perceive as, harsh words about my products. Likewise, I have no intentions on intervening when someone posts their opinion about another brand. This, of course, doesn't include flaming which will not be tolerated under any circumstances. I don' t believe that was the case here. I believe that we all love our dollhouses, for whatever reasons, and to express that, sometimes contrasts are drawn. Real Good Toys has some great looking houses. I have know Jim most of my life and consider him a friend. We are competitors, but friendly competitors. We both realize the differences in our products and exploit them when necessary, but at the end of the day, we remain friends. I believe if two people who's livelihoods hang in the balance can manage this, so can our community.

With that being said, I would appreciate it if we could be respectful of the fact that I am running a business. I would specifically ask that you limited out bound links to other manufactures sites and in some cases, even retailers. For example, I posted a new product release on the half scale lighthouse and the thread quickly became about an RGT half scale house with links to the RGT house at a retailer that doesn't even carry my products. I know this wasn't intentional, but it was still inappropriate. Out bound links from my site carry weight with search engines, so the bottom line is your doing someone a favor when linking to their site. No need to over think this point. A rule of thumb is to just think "would Dean mind if I did these folks a favor" before posting a link. Additionally, we have many members that have links in there signatures to their retail sites. That is fine with me, but I would certainly appreciate a reciprocal link.

Okay, I need to call it a night. I've been working long and hard on the new laser line of dollhouses and morning comes early around these parts. I'm going to keep this topic locked so we can move on to more productive dialog.

Thanks,

Dean