What An Obnoxious Book!

Lynette Smith

I agree with Sherry. If space and money weren't an issue, I would definitely own a variety of brands, or even try my hand at a scratch build.

By now I've seen so many inspiring houses from various brands on the internet and in books. I love the idea that any house can be special regardless the brand. So, like Sherry I don't feel the need to put down other dollhouse manufacturers. In fact most of them have one or several houses in their collection, that I would love to own.

Edited: Oops, forgot to thank Lynnette for the review! I love reading book reviews.

When topics like this arise, the way this topic has turned is why most times we shut it down right away. For some reason people who build other brand houses get upset when a greenleaf fan says something bad about "their" favorite brand. These are the same ones who, in other topics will mention problems and the things they dislike about there own greenleaf house and you don't get a bunch of people saying "I am feeling unloved and unwelcomed so I am gonna leave the forum". I feel that we have always been "open minded" about the other dollhouse brands and like to encourage the entire hobby. If we leave the comments about issues people have had while building a Greenleaf house up for all to see, then why not the issues about the other brands?

I have never seen a mention of Greenleaf houses (Not in a good light) on any other manufacturers Website, Blog or Forum. I am the one who encouraged Dean & Lisa, to let the forum be opened to talk about other house brands and for the past year and a half, the issues that has come up has made it very difficult to keep it this way. Those who like the other brands has to remember, this site is hosted & owned by Greenleaf Dollhouses which is the manufacture of dollhouse kits. Of course because of this, we are gonna draw a greater crowd of Greenleaf dollhouse fans than we would the other brands so, to keep this place "open" to talk about other houses, people are gonna have to have a thicker skin when those of us who prefer Greenleaf dollhouses more than any other brand, state their opinion about why they don't like the other brands. Those who like the other Brands and also build Greenleaf make comparisons and fuss about sanding and other issues about Greenleaf houses but seems to get upset when some point out their view of the "Other Brands" flaws.

This topic once again has turned away from the original statement Lynette made. No one said if you like another Brand houses to leave this forum. I have re-read the comments and had my friend (Who is not a miniaturist) read it and she does not see anything that should have made anyone feel unwanted.

Let's use this example, if you are a guest at my restaurant and you come sit at my table at my restaurant but brought food in to my restaurant from a competitor to eat it at my restaurant and you started complaining in my restaurant about why you don't like my food, you just might feel uncomfortable after the guests there who love my food at my restaurant start to make comments about why they like my food versus the competitors. In a since, this is the same way. Most people here ARE Greenleaf Dollhouse Fans to the Core. We know in a restaurant business, they would never let you come in with other food. In this miniature field, Most manufactures are the same way. We at Greenleaf want to help the entire Miniature Community to GROW which is what will help every ones business in the long run. This is why we have always had the open talk policy here. We have not told ANYONE to leave because they like other brands and I don't understand how or why others get so defensive if a brand they like has negative comments stated here. People state on this forum all of the time the issues they have with a Greenleaf kit so, I think people need to stop reading into things and be just as open to the flaws of other brands as they are open to admit the issues they have with Greenleaf kits. There are people here who have NEVER built a Greenleaf house nor own one. We have never kicked them out.

I think it is unfair to always have to shut down or close a topic because people take the comments about another brand's kit too personally. Let's get back to the fun!! Otherwise I promise you, we may very soon lose the privilege to discuss the "Other Brands" here on the Greenleaf forum.

I too have built other Brands so no one can say Oh, she only builds Greenleaf Kits. I have built RGT, Earth & Tree, DHE, Woodcraft kits, Dura Craft, Houseworks and a couple of others. I still am the Biggest Fan of Greenleaf houses and would pick This brand over ANY other brand. If this statement offends people then it's really disappointing since Greenleaf could have always told me as the Forum's Administrator to only allow topics about Greenleaf products here on their forum only. They accepted that as their Admin, I have built the other houses. They did not pick someone who only uses their houses. They have always been open minded. I think we all should be.

Thanks Again to all of those who have contributed to this community!! I hope we are able to continue to have an open discussion forum!

Please, let's get back to the fun. I am not gonna close this topic unless it keeps turning the wrong way. I will not delete it because I do not see "why" people get upset and feel unwelcome when there was no direct hit to no one. Sorry for the long rant but this just gotta stop my friends!! This forum has been around for many years and there are many who were here with us when the first forum was up and running (before we got the fancy one). I have been the Admin since the forum opened and I truly feel bad when others are hurt by comments that were not even aimed at no person at all.

Can we do a Group Hug and get on to the fun? :(:( :blink: :) :hug: :hug:

Amen Tracy, Amen! I have a number of houses from different sources and do not feel that to complain about one brand or the other is appropriate here. I am grateful that Dean and Greenleaf allow us to discuss the range of subjects we do and consider this an excellent resource to learn new skills as well as solutions to particular problems I have encountered as I build.

Thanks Dean!!!!!!!

I just gotta make one more reply to Sherry:

But when you come on here and talk about how ugly, boxy, ordinary, other houses are, you are hurting the feelings of other members who have put their heart into building one of those houses, and there's no reason to do that, either. This world has room for differences in taste, differences in houses, and differences in personalities.

If feeling this way, wanting to be fair to everyone and treat everyone with respect-including the makers of RGT and the people who build their houses, means I can't be a member here, just let me know. I'll leave, albeit with great sadness.

I feel if people can say what they don't like about a Greenleaf product here on the forum, people should be able to say or call any brand house too much of a box or otherwise also. It's an opinion that is not aimed at any person here that I know of. I have seen no one say anything telling a person by name that their personal house is any of those things you mentioned. We have people here who are greenleaf fans to the core who don't like every kit made and designed by greenleaf and have stated so openly on the forum (Me included :) ). No one told them they are not a "Real Member" so they should leave and no one is telling you that either!! I am sorry, I just don't see that when I read all of the replies here so I am hoping you can re-read the words of people here with an open mind because as you stated in the same post I quoted from, All of us who work at and for Greenleaf has been very open minded about the other Brands. We are like that because Dean as the President of Greenleaf allows us to be that way. Okay.... That's All Folks :blink:

Tracy would you ever consider writing a book about greenleaf houses? i would buy it!!!!!!!

:blink: I won't say no because life has a way in making a path for you that you never thought you'd travel. It would be fun though I think :)

Can we do a Group Hug and get on to fun? :( :blink: :) :hug:

Here is my :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: addition!!!!

I know I have seen somewhere the saying "I have yet to meet a dollhouse I don't like" and I think it is sooo true, we like, we fall in love with, we get involved with etc etc different houses and different builds of a whole lot of reasons, but I think mostly just because we enjoy it all and the builds themselves mean something very, very special for us. Sharing pros and cons, joys and "hammer" times is also what makes us enjoy it even more... Not sure if I am making any sence (it is getting late over here) so will stop but what I think I am trying to say is that we are in this family/forum because we like to share, good things (hmm it spelled goof things first LOL) as well as when we hit snags and consider serious bashing, not the transforming into butterfly from a caterpillar kind of bashing either but....

:( I won't say no because life has a way in making a path for you that you never thought you'd travel. It would be fun though I think :D

Ohhhh, eye candy overload I HOPE!!!!

Since it is rare to find books on minis over here it is always fun to hear about the possiblities as that often yields a search online for one that gets great recommendations which is always wonderful!

Hugs

Thanks for the info Lynette...sounds like a book I might check out, but not buy.... Did the author show any of the houses she had created? Maybe she has never really built a Greenleaf, so she just doesn't know how great they can be :blink:

One thing I really love about this forum is to see so many different points of view ...when I start reading a topic, I might think of it in one way and get a little fired up about it...but then I keep reading and get more opinions....and then I see both sides of the issue. Usually after that, I'm totally "on the fence"...guess that comes with being a Libra,lol...

Thanks Dean and everyone at Greenleaf for this great forum where I learn something new everytime I check in...and I can share my joys and frustrations and get a huge "sugar high" with out the calories from all the gorgeous eye candy!! :)

Hi,

It is sad that the book was so biased, because a newcomer with limited funds might get discouraged once they found out the prices of the supposedly limited selection of collector houses. My twin (who scratch built her house) recommended GL to me due to the affordable pricing while maintaining realism.

Personally, I like the detail of Greenleaf houses. GL houses also do not resemble each other as much as the houses of other brands do; they are more unique too.

GL houses are, generally, more 'true-to-type', apparently. I have no art history/ architecture background, but someone who does recently reviewed GL and RGT dollhouses for me and told me this was so. There were significantly more little inconsistencies that bothered her with RGT than with GL, although both brands had some :blink:

I do like RGTs too, but, partially because I'm loyal and partially because if it were not for GL's affordable pricing, I still wouldn't have a house, I will probably always build GL.

I find the price of RGTs too prohibitive, even though I like some of their houses too.

RGTs did do an episode for How It's Made that I really enjoyed as well.

I'm glad that there are people building other brands of houses, because it makes the gallery more fun and monopolies are never good in the long run :)

Adorabelle

Families do sometimes bicker and inadvertently hurt each other's feelings - let's forgive and forget, please! We're a close-knit group - a "family" of so many wonderful, creative spirits. Let there be no family rifts - every member here is a valued contributor to the community. I'm sure nobody wishes to lose a single member of this fellowship. Hugs to you all.

I wouldn't want any body to feel alienated.

After looking at the pictures in Creative Dollhouses From Kits by Robert Schleicher I realized something: we don't see as many of the RGT, Walmers, Earth and Tree, and other brands of the heavier homes because of the cost. What we do see are the sterile displays at Hobby Lobby and in the catalogues where no attempt at individualizing and giving a personality has been done, which is one thing we really enjoy.

The more expensive kits usually come as shells, and if a novice gets one, they may not be aware of the wide variety of windows, doors, trim and so forth, or, having bought a more expensive house to start, they don't have the resources to decorate it properly.

The Ravencrest Manor (mystery house) I got a couple of weeks ago maybe one such house. It was a shell somebody found at a yard sale, took, painted, put down fake fur for carpeting, and used contact paper from the 1970's to wallpaper the interior. I immediately stripped all the garbage and gave it a couple of coats of white paint so that it's tacky decor wouldn't interfer we me seeing what was really there. I don't know if it is scratch built or one from a lesser known company. I know that it is solidly built by somebody who knew what they were doing. I like the fact that it is unique, or at least obscure; nobody will ever say of it "well I like how so and so did it better".

A shell requires more imagination to see the possibilities.

And as for the Schleicher book, it has a lot of useful looking information.

As far as I'm concerned, if it's a dollhouse, any dollhouse, any style, any shape, any company, any color, I love them all!!! I have 5 different brands in my home right now. Greenleaf, Corona, RGT, Arvey, Creatology. I have built a Duracraft for my grandsons. I have purchased homemade, and Marx. Any house can be a collectible if one puts enough time, energy and effort into it!

Maybe our Tracy could write a book for Greenleaf showing all her designs (I would buy it!)

Excellent idea! Tracy's knowledge of Greenleaf houses is amazing. Did you know that if you show her just the tip of a piece of trim, she can tell you what house it came from? Not only that, but she can tell you what year the house was released, how many kits were run in that release, the name of the guy running the dies that day, and what color shirt he was wearing! Seriously!

As books go, I have a couple of favorites. One is "Victorian Doll's House Projects: A Day in the Life" by Christiane Berridge (who is also the wonderful editor of Doll's House magazine) There are some beautiful projects for authentic victorian accessories and furniture. Actually, if it goes into a victorian house, Christiane has a tutorial for it! The projects are separated into chapters according to the rooms in the house and the flow of the rooms follows the time of day the room would be in use. It's wonderfully well written and the projects are fabulous. For example, there are tutorials for making travel trunks and stereoscopes and dinner gongs and bootjacks........the list just goes on and on.

The other book that I really love is "The Authentic Tudor and Stuart Doll's House" by Brian Long. I know it's a favorite of Holly's too. It's rich in historical information about tudor styles as well as information about how to acheive authentic architectural results. Lots of tutorials for building furniture and making furnishings too.

Deb

There were significantly more little inconsistencies that bothered her with RGT than with GL, although both brands had some :blink:

Ummm, these are DOLLHOUSES we're talking about. As I ride around Marshall, I keep telling myself I ought to be photographing some of these houses. You wouldn't believe the amount of inconsistencies there are in real life houses. I think the common factor is that big or small, they are all built by people. People don't always do what is expected of them. And creative people, the kind who build and bash dollhouses, rarely do what is expected. :)

I am all about the house. If it tickles my fancy, I do not care who made it or what it is made of. A house is a house of course of course..hehe

Wow, I'm away for a couple of days and come back, and gee whiz! Let's not get our panties in a bunch here - dollhouses are what we crave, admire, love, long for, etc., no matter who makes them. I personally prefer Greenleaf but I don't go around spitting on others that are not Greenleaf...there are a few out there I would love to have, but the funds seem to be getting smaller for me each year. So I stare at the beauties like a kid looking in a toystore window....

But please let us get back to what we love to do best and end the bickering I'm seeing here. We love our forum and don't want to lose IT or any of our wonderful friends and family we have made on here. OK? I do hope noone leaves this forum because of this thread. I would hate to lose ANY of you!

I'm all for this forum and Greenleaf dollhouses. I have the RGT's Newbury and have no desire whatsoever to build it. Yet I have over 80 Greenleaf kits that I can't wait to build each and every one. My feelings about the issue of discussing other manufacturer's dollhouses is at the opposite end of the spectrum than most. I don't believe on the Greenleaf forum there should be discussions of other types of dollhouses even though I respect the fact that it is allowed. Greenleaf (Dean) goes out of his way to make this a forum to talk about his products and offers games and contests throughout the year to promote his products. To me, Dean gives us this forum and in return I give him and his company my loyalty.

Tracy, I think you really said it best when you mentioned restaurants. Very true!

Deb, I also have the latter book you mentioned and love it. Even though I'm not into the Tudor style, it has lots of very interesting ideas.

That book is full of baloney and it makes me so mad that I can spit nails. Everything she said is WRONG and the reason it makes me mad is because there are newbies to this hobby out here and they will, of course, trust in a book like this and then later realize what a mistake they made.

First of all anyone that knows anything about miniatures would know right off the bat that die cut houses are the houses for serious collectors. Die cut houses, like the ones Greenleaf makes, are the houses that have all of the real architectural features of a true real life size house. Even someone that has never even seen a dollhouse can atest to that because Ive had visitors at my house that have no knowledge of dollhouses and have told me that the Sterling Estate, I had, was nothing compared to the Beacon Hill. ALL of them have consistently said the same thing so it wasnt just one persons opinion. I dont have the Sterling Estate anymore but I wonder what they would have said if they could compare it to the Garfield I have now. There is NO comparison between the two. The Garfield wins hands down. When you look inside of it, it actually looks like real house, not a bunch of boxes stacked one on top of the other.

You cant build a model ship in one day. Not a real replica of one. It takes time, effort and a knowledge that it will NOT be easy. The same goes for building a die cut house. It is also a true scale replica of a life size mansion so it will not go together in one or two days. That is what makes it fun. These houses are sturdy and will last forever if they are built correctly and not abused. She herself said that they are not for children so I dont know what shes talking about. Of course they arent for children, they are for serious miniature collectors.

You can buy a cabinet grade dollhouse that can be put together in two days for a child. They are the ones that have a boxy shape thats perfect for children to stuff their play miniatures in them. When theyre ready for a REAL heirloom and not a toy, they can get a perfectly scaled die cut house.

This does not mean that there arent beautiful cabinet grade houses out there because there are but die cut houses have the realistic details and design that can never be reproduced with a cabinet grade house. I always tell newbies to put in the extra work for building a die cute house because its worth it in the end but only IF they want a REAL mini mansion and not just a dollhouse.

Hi,

Kathie B, I realize they are only dollhouses. I was just curious about which were more historically accurate.

I would be the last person to pick on houses due to inconsistencies (as an example, some of my half scale food that I made is really full scale sized, but I like it, and couldn't get it any smaller), but consistency struck me as a consideration for someone who wanted to compare collectability.

Most of the houses in this area actually don't have inconsistencies (also apparently, as mentioned, I'm clueless about this).

Adorabelle

oh my, oh me

let us wee people in boxy houses be.

please leave us alone,

people who live in die-cut houses should not throw a stone.

nor should those whose homes of 1/8" lumber made

fear inhabitants in cabinet grade.

but tiny neighbors side by side

in perfect amity should abide.

i am not a poet... but you can see that.

Bee, that's great!! Not a poet?? Could have fooled me--I love it :D

I'm with Heidi, I'm all about the house...I built a Dura craft Heritage about 18 yrs ago--can't remember if it was die cut--seems like there were lots of individual trim pieces, and the sides had pre-milled siding--cant remember the window frames etc...anyway, it didn't fare too well the day my 2 yr old son discovered it and "played" with it :roflmao: I have a Duracraft San Fransican I can't wait to build--it's the mdf type--so that will be a new one for me...when I build it, I guess I"ll know if I prefer one over the other... I'm pretty sure the Beacon Hill and San Fransican can live on the same street peacefully :D

Bee, Your poem is delightful!

Wendy, and I thought I was bad!

Let's keep in mind that the author never mentioned any 1/8" ply die cut manufacturers by name. I may have encountered an Artply 20 years ago. Up to this month all my experience has been with Greenleaf and Duracraft. Maybe the author got into a kit with poorly fitting pieces, vague and confusing instructions, or really bad quality wood and has a jaded opinion after a painful experience she didn't want to repeat.

I think the new house will be a fancy Queen Anne or Gothic Revival and I'm having great fun contemplating the possibilities. As a shell, I feel it is a blank slate which I don't have any guilty feelings if I decided to change something drastically. If a RGT Queen Anne II showed up on my doorstep I would welcome it with open arms.

My biggest problem with dollhouses and kits are how to fit them all in. They all have something endrearing or they wouldn't have found me.

oh my, oh me

let us wee people in boxy houses be.

please leave us alone,

people who live in die-cut houses should not throw a stone.

nor should those whose homes of 1/8" lumber made

fear inhabitants in cabinet grade.

but tiny neighbors side by side

in perfect amity should abide.

i am not a poet... but you can see that.

LOL That was actually good!