Facebook?

bookmarm

I've been dragged kicking and screaming into this world by cousins and friends. Do you do Facebook? This is a weird world. I'm not exactly anti-social, but I have no idea about the rules and etiquette here. I feel like Alice who's just tumbled down the rabbit hole.... :blink:

Any wise words for the newbie's?

A lot of enlisted men use facebook to keep in touch with friends and family while they are overseas. They don't have time to write or call much, but this way, everyone gets the news. I think it's great for that reason alone, even though I don't use facebook.

I've been on Facebook for a while and, while I don't know a lot, I can tell you a few things:

- only send friendship requests to people you know (I tried to hook up with distant relatives - a few worked and we are in contact, most are just there)

- decide if you want to post a recent picture of yourself in your profile or not - I use one several years old

- anytime someone sends you something, you will be asked to add the relevant application - only add the ones that interest you, but you can always delete them later

- if you like them, they have some pretty interesting games for free under 'Mindjolt games'

- you can block specific requests or all information from people you do not want to hear from

- I've been having a blast using 'Farmtown', where you create and manage a farm

- you can end up spending a lot of time on it if you are not careful

Hope this helps!

I just got on it recently.... It's a nice direct link to old college friends and family members who don't live nearby. You can post what's going on and vice versa, and know the only people reading it are people you know. It's sort of like a perpetual Christmas letter. :blink:

I don't find it hard to stay off it though, and only drop by once a week or so to see what's up with people - but I also only have 15 contacts - not 1,500 so I'm not overly inundated with emails from other updates...

Last Christmas my neice convinced her aunts that we were so old fashioned, communicating only by email and talked us into becoming Facebook members. I don't understand the whole concept but do enjoy reading the comments made by people. I have 17 friends! An organization I belong to uses it to communicate our group activeties also. It is just another way to keep in touch with others. I try to keep abreast of what is popular in this modern world, but confess I am very ignorant of what is out there. I was at Best Buy last weekend and must confess I did not know what half the stuff on the shelves was. Rita

:blink: I'm on Facebook i talk to my daughter and all my family that still living in Britian i like it but i only talk to them i have people asking to be my friend and i say NO,

I've found Facebook a great resource for keeping in touch with people. Friends who I'd lost touch with have reached out and re-connected with me. I've got a growing network of friends (new and old), co-workers, family and people with common interests that I'd never known before.

What I like about it especially is that for me, with a busy life and limited time, it makes it easy for me to connect with friends and family. The status updates that I receive from my friends allows me to quickly and easily assess what's going on in their lives. Sending birthday greetings is so simple. Unfortunately, friends who run a minute-by-minute tab of their lives cause me to skim past their posts. I simply don't have the time or inclination to be that involved in anybody else's life. I often wonder if their needs wouldn't be better met on Twitter. But, they are my friends and they are who they are. I have a choice whether or not I will comment on their latest updates. On this forum, we're also able to skim through and zero in on the topics (and authors) that are of interest. Most people also understand how pm's are to be used and don't overdo. While I love to hear from people who I've developed closer friendships with, I have had to use the block feature on one forum member. When somebody sends a pm, its not like a post, where you have a choice as to whether or not you will comment. The etiquette when receiving a pm, dictates that a response would be appropriate. Unfortunately, when the writer of a pm keeps sending more pm's asking why you've not responded, it just becomes too much work. I don't always have a comment. I don't always have the time.

I don't have time for long phone chats with friends, and Facebook and Greenleaf Forum make it really easy for me to connect at a time that is convenient for me. I can log in and out as suits me.

-Susanne

There is a disturbing article in the June edition of AARP entitled "False Friends" discribing Facebook and MySpace scams. One man's Facebook account was hacked into, his password was changed and he was even locked out when he tried to access his account from his wife's computer. The hacker posted a message stating he was in trouble, robbed while in London and needed money to get back to the States. A concerned friend wired $1,200 which was collected by the hacker. The original owner of the account stated he had names and pictures of his wife, children, parents, friends, where he attended high school and college-all kinds of personal information.

With such details readily posted, identity thrives "are clearly investing time and resources on social networks" according to Kaspersky Lab, an online security firm.

A common ruse: tricking users into downloading a program that records their keystrokes.

One common virus on social networks is Koobface which infects computers when a "video" link is clicked. It can steal personal data and prompt users to download an updated version of Adobe Flash. "By clicking on that link, it attempts to trick you into buying fake anti-virus software for $30.

Facebook is bolstering its security but has no contact number.

The article concludes by offering several recommendations to stay safe,

Don't click on links provided in messages-even from friends-unless you check them with a phone call or off-website email

Get program updates by going to the company's website, not through a provided link.

Make your Facebook account private

Scan your computer regularly with an updated antivirus program

Be suspicious of anyone-even a "friend"-who asks for money over the internet.

Report suspicious activity on social networks to that website and to the Internet Crime Complaint Center at www.ic3.gov.

I signed up recently cuz i was curious about what it was all about. i even added friends. decided it would be too much work to even bother with it (i'm trying to spend less time on the computer)...anyway, i immediately got replies from people...i emailed them to say that i wouldn't be signing back on...sorry about wasting their time. I haven't signed back in after that first time.

I check Facebook once or twice a week. I really dislike receiving all kinds of invitations to stag and doe's, and other group happenings. I usually just delete them. The program is a great way to keep in touch though.

Sherry, the Block feature is there for a purpose. Because someone chooses to continually send messages to another doesn't mean you have to accept it. I totally agree with Susanne. Although I've never felt the need to block anyone, I'm glad I have the right to do so if need be. It's not about hurting someone's feelings, it's about boundaries, IMHO.

I'm on FB, and I love being able to keep in touch with my family back in Texas when I'm here in RI. Plus I've reconnected with some very dear friends from high school and college. I love being able to peruse their photo albums and see how their kids have grown!

Sherry, the Block feature is there for a purpose. Because someone chooses to continually send messages to another doesn't mean you have to accept it. I totally agree with Suzanne. Although I've never felt the need to block anyone, I'm glad I have the right to do so if need be. It's not about hurting someone's feelings, it's about boundaries, IMHO.

I agree with that completely, you don't have to put up with it! But it is possible to just block them without writing and telling them you don't like them and don't want to hear from them. They will get the hint without the direct insult. I'm all for handling other people as politely and gently as possible! (even my MIL!) :wave:

But it is possible to just block them without writing and telling them you don't like them and don't want to hear from them. They will get the hint without the direct insult.

Hmmm . . . this is why cyberspace can be scary . . . you just really don't know until you've been in the position where you've had to do it . . . like Wendy said . . . it's all about boundaries.

Anyway, I'm on Facebook . . . although not much recently! I even have a message there "if you don't find me here I'm on my blog"!! LOL!! It's a great way to connect with my family, some up in Canada and my sister in Texas. I've also connected with an old friend. It's great to keep up with the niece and nephews too!

As far as etiquette and rules . . . they're the same as if you were actually there talking with someone . . . don't say things you wouldn't normally say, be polite, don't give out more information than you need to and above all . . . have fun!

I have Facebook and MySpace both. MySpace mostly has my friends on it so if we do go out and get rowdy that's where I would post. As of late Facebook has sort of turned into more of a place where it's cool for your Mom and Dad, etc to have an account - I have lots and lots of family on Facebook so I am very careful about what I put up there.

I would suggest first that you create a very strong password for either site and change it often. It's not fun to be hacked and have your friends emailing you asking why you sent them messages with spam links in them.

And next I would set up ALL of your privacy settings. This is extremely important. A private profile may be very important to you - how much info do you really want to put out there? Keep in mind all of the news articles about people who have gotten themselves fired b/c their employer found something that they posted on a social networking site. Also when you update your profile do you want it to automatically alert all of your friends? How do you want people to be able to search for you? You can put settings to where only people who know your full name or email address can add you as a friend as well. One neat feature on Facebook is that you can put privacy settings on indivdual photo albums (like if you don't want your Aunt to see your drunk bar pictures, but you still want her on your friends list). On MySpace if someone is your friend then they can view all of your albums regardless. You may also want to set restrictions on applications b/c they can get very annoying - some of them are cute, but you have to give them permission to your profile and your pictures, etc.

Overall though I do think it's a fun way to keep track of friends and family - especially those that you don't see everyday. :wave: