The Granddaughter's Garfield

cdalzell

Well it’s a good thing that my granddaughter is only 8 months old – it might take a couple of years to finish the build of “the Garfield”.

I made some crazy decisions early on. I wanted (what do I know about dollshouses!) working windows and better doors; I also didn’t like the look of the staircases or the floors. So with the intent of building the best little doll house in town I ordered the working windows upgrade, found the plethora of engaging miniatures online stores and ordered up electrical supplies, all shapes of doors and trim and flooring materials. Now after 2 months of planning and some very long days (and nights) I am finally starting to see the fruits of my labor.

I have added cherry wood floors on the main floor and oak on the second floor. These were a lot harder than I had thought they would be (and as it turned out the pattern I chose had a lot to do with it) as each piece had to be measured, cut, laid in place temporarily, sanded, glued, sanded again, stained and then shellaced. I also found out that you can’t use wood glue on the very thin floor strip as it causes instant curling – I used contact glue which meant mistakes weren’t tolerated!!

Here are a few of photos of the (almost finished) floors:

post-615-1146205408_thumb.jpg post-615-1146205445_thumb.jpg post-615-1146205469_thumb.jpg

I decided to keep the base for both sets of stairs but add better treads, balusters and newel posts. It would probably have been a lot easier if I had started from scratch as the kit steps were not even; it took many attempts and modifications to the posts to get it all to fit together around the landings while remaining as a unit outside of the house but ensure that it would fit and match to the new railings that also had to be built.! I also believe that I will want electricity for a fireplace and lights on the staircase first floor walls – and as I had planned for the wiring to run under the floor, I needed a way to get the staircase wiring connected once installed (which it isn’t yet!).

Here are photos of these:

post-615-1146205502_thumb.jpg post-615-1146205533_thumb.jpg

The electrical is another story. I (maybe I should have asked some 6 year old girl if she felt the same way but…) thought it would be great to have separate circuits for each floor and for the porch so I had to figure out a way to add switches in the correct places to handle that. I found it difficult (understatement) to get the ceiling lights installed.

The doors ended up being a big deal as well. The doors are designed for standard doll house wall thickness of 3/8” and the working windows set is 1/16’ thicker than the luan walls; this meant that the trim needed to be “shimmed/thickened” and made custom for each one.

post-615-1146205575_thumb.jpg

I decided to add the wallpaper, paint and trim before the staircase gets installed – I couldn’t see anyway that I could get inside afterwards. So now I will be working up the house the same way.

post-615-1146205607_thumb.jpg

On to find some nice tile flooring for the bathroom.

Colin

My good lord, Colin! You're creating a work of art. You'll definitely have to post a picture of the DGD when she receives the finished treasure.

I felt your pain laying those floors, contact cement is the way to go. I also know about using upgrade components, I put a Houseworks interior door between two rooms in the Coventry Cottage I'm blogging; I have done it before, in my Dura-Craft Cambridge, so I had a better idea of how to minimize the shims.

Please continue to share the pictures of your beautiful Garfield!

Outstanding, looking absolutely superb. Interesting to see the rectangular interior trim for the replacement windows, I have those too (think they make a huge difference) and was wondering how to do the interior. Neat idea I may steal. :D

That is going to be an absolutely gorgeous house. I love the flooring. And the stairs look awesome. I had a similar idea for modifying the stairs for my Garfield, but I ended up buying a curved staircase for the first floor instead. Wonderful job!

Colin- Spectacular job!! There are many of us working on the Garfield. Its such a beautiful house. And so many ways to update it and give it your own look. I did the working windows too. I love them. Your floors are amazing! I wish I could have done that. I went the simple route and used nice shelf paper that looked like a small wood grain pattern. Less time consuming and less $$. I changed my stairs too. I also changed the location of the stairs. You cabn see my last updated post here if you wish. You are doing a wonderful job and you'll be done long before your granddaughter is ready to play wiht it, don't worry.

I used real cherry wood strips (1/32" thick and 5/8" wide) with just shellac for the living/dining/entry and real oak strips upstairs (1/16" thick and 9/16" wide) some stained with dark oak stain to enhance the pattern and then all shellaced. It was tedious - had to lay small sections at one time with contact cement.