Discarded Spring Fling Ideas

Lynette Smith

I've been having fun looking at the galleries of the 2009 Spring Fling houses. Some people didn't know what to do with it. I was having a hard time making up my mind with the ideas which sprang to mind. What theme's did everybody pass up?

Some of my unbuilt concepts:

old watermill cottage

castle

beach house

wedding chapel (bashed)

feed and seed

My original ideas were an Andalcian Farmhouse or a Half-Scale Southern California Mission....

I couldn't decide which theme to specifically go with....I ended up going with the Casita, which blended the elements of both projects I was really drawn to.

I thought about doing a Farmer's Market for about a millisecond but figured EVERYONE else would go with that theme. Boy was I wrong! LOL

Lets see - I had a long list.

- a castle tower to add to another building or free standing Rapunzel type castle tower

- 4-6 together at different levels as a condiminium unit (I've seen a rounded topped condo unit in either the Netherlands or Denmark that sparked this idea)

- an RV camper

- a houseboat

- a boat house (for storage)

- a movie theatre (using 2 together as I did for my observatory)

- a barn

- an art studio (using 2 together as I did for my observatory)

- a restaurant (using 2 together as I did for my observatory)

- a real shoe

- the old woman in the shoe

- a shoe store

- other fairy tale ideas like Little red riding hood and other woodsie type settings

- a little red schoolhouse

- an old shack

- a water wheel mill

- a silo

- a firehouse

- a windmill

- a shed

- a tree house

- an animal/critter house (bunny, squirrel, chipmunk, etc. home)

- ice cream shop

- bread making shop

- pizza parlor

- church/chapel

- summer cottage

- Irish/English cottage

- Swiss chalet

- a tree with a "cave" in it (sort of a Merlin's home style like in the Mary Stewart books)

- an underwater secret place

- a space station

- an igloo/ north or south pole station

There were more but I can't find my original list. It was fun brainstorming.

Great kit and great contest. Super fun to drool over all the albums.

mine never had any other ideas...he was abrupt and demanding from the first release of the kit pics :wub:

but i would like to do Aunty Em's from the Wizard of Oz...one day :p

Initially I was going to do a steampunk-themed power station running on wind, water and solar power. I even won a lot of watch gears on eBay to incorporate into it. It sounds like overkill, but if you're familiar with steampunk it's not too out there...

However the time constraint and the realization that I would probably end up bashing the kit too much (like I did last year), I decided to seriously tone it down.

Mine had 2 other possibles -

the first was a 1940-ish cropdusting service building <I found a fabulous 1:12 bi-plane that would have been perfect out front, and an old motorcycle with saddlebags>

the other was a kite shop <the shape of kit reminded of one I saw years ago> ~ I even made a half dozen kites, a box kite, garden flags and kite kits in tiny bags before the final lightbulb went off. Now I have to make something up sometime to use up all these kites :p They were too time consuming to just let them sit around.

Gosh, with all these things I have waitin' around not being used, I better get busy :p :wub:

I had a LOT of ideas (wish I had enough of the bungalow kits to do them all), but after working all night, my brain can only latch onto two of the ones I really thought about: (1) a ski lift, and (2) an airplane hangar. There were others, and if I find my original list and accompanying sketches, I just might do some of them as well!

They're in a gallery already? Where??

I found a bunch of them last night by just clicking on the gallery button at the top, as the pictures are almost all the most recent ones posted, each under a different user name. I couldn't find one specific gallery of fling photos.

However the time constraint and the realization that I would probably end up bashing the kit too much (like I did last year), I decided to seriously tone it down.

Wow, Jen, if that windmill is your version of toned down..... :wub:

Seriously, it is so amazing! It looks to me like it would have taken a year to build!

I found a bunch of them last night by just clicking on the gallery button at the top, as the pictures are almost all the most recent ones posted, each under a different user name. I couldn't find one specific gallery of fling photos.

Dean will post the three photos submitted for each of the entries in a special gallery after the judging is complete. Meanwhile, go here and click on the individual albums, many of which have more than the three final photos. When a member adds to an album, it is posted here, in the order in which the updates were made, the most recent being first.

At first I was thinking of doing *I`m a Little Teapot. Short and stout. Here is my handle. Here is my spout.* But I did not know how to pull that off so I scrapped that idea.

When I got the email, announcing fling, all I could see were miniature horse heads in the window, and hay, an a chicken on the thing. Guess you can take the girl off the farm...LOL This structure strangely looks like one we had as a kid, where my little pony lived, with his best friend, a banty hen...(no joke, the horse was in love with this hen that rode on his back, and curled up with him to sleep)

Wow!

Mine never wanted to be anything but what it was.

However, I might have to order another one because the thought just hit me: The Weasley's Burrow! I love this house, and yes, yet another plan...

I love the Weasley's Burrow too, and if anyone could pull it off, it is YOU!!! I sure hope you do it because I know we'll all be in for some major oohs and aahs if you do!

I love the Weasley's Burrow too, and if anyone could pull it off, it is YOU!!! I sure hope you do it because I know we'll all be in for some major oohs and aahs if you do!

omg Monica!!!! you have to do the Weasleys!!!! its perfect for it :blink:

Oh I Knoooow!

I'm super excited about this one tooo! It is a most amazing house is'nt it?!

Good gawd, too many super ideas, where to find the time.

However, after building my Fae Castle beast of a project in such short time, I might be able to pull all of these off in a reasonable amount of time! :cheer:

I'll keep you all updated!

Hugs,

Monica

I had a LOT of ideas (wish I had enough of the bungalow kits to do them all), but after working all night, my brain can only latch onto two of the ones I really thought about: (1) a ski lift, and (2) an airplane hangar. There were others, and if I find my original list and accompanying sketches, I just might do some of them as well!

That's funny, I was thinking of a ski lift too. I could picture it, I just didn't get around to working on it. I'm kind of disappointed now that I didn't finish mine. I am continually impressed with the creativity in this forum. I would not want to choose in this contest!

Great thread!!

-A one room school room

-A firework stand

-If severely bashed, it could certainly turn into the Little House on the Prairie House

-Windmill

-Grain elevator

-Broken down shanty

-Barn (surprisingly no one here did that, or hasn't revealed there pics yet)

-Saloon

Great ideas everyone...perhaps we should all build again. LOL

I had only one idea, which I couldn't figure out how to do :cheer: , so does that make it a discard? (it's detailed in the Avatar thread). Now that there is no deadline for completion, I can go back to trial and error and maybe make Fling into the house she wanted to be. Her Bigggg Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhs are getting on my nerves. :blink: