Mitering trim and baseboards

firef2005

Does anyone have any suggestions for mitering baseboards, trim, etc? I have a regular sized mitre box and saw, but it's too big. I have seen the ones set up for miniatures, but don't have a clue how to use the things to get the angles right. Help? I fudged on my foyer on the Lily, didn't come out too bad, but have bigger plans for the rest of the house, and have to get it right.

I mitered ceiling cove one time. I wasted a bunch of it cutting it wrong but finally did one room. Now I can't remember how to do it again. I even have a book that shows pictures how to do it but angles are just not my thing I guess. That's also why I can only shingle a Colonial house with no angles without making paper shapes first to stick the shingles on. Of all my talents in miniatures my brain will just not figure angles. I think if you have someone right there to show you how to do it, it would be easier.

Im seriously challenged cutting angles too...I use the Easy Cutter you can find it at Hobby shops or HBS. Its not the Easy Cutters fault,I can know what angle I need and then cut the EXACT opposite. A little wood fill and/or paperclay come in very handy in those corners:)

With the mini-mitre box you have to stand up the trim in the box like it will be on the wall. It doesn't cut correctly otherwise. Took me forever to figure it out and many wrong cuts. With moulding placed against back of MB like it will be against wall, cut the left corner side with the piece of moulding to the left of the cutting groove guide; and cut the right corner side with the piece of moulding to the right of the cutting groove guide. Clear as mud? I'll try to take some pics this weekend if anybody doesn't understand, will need hubby help so I can show how to hold while he takes picture (or I may have to grow another hand or 2).

Karen

Oh, also before I cut I take the piece and look at it, thinking how the angles have to be cut for it to fit right.

Just to let you know though, my first experience with moulding was in real life size. Wanted to redo some rooms and add moulding and hubby didn't want to fool with it so I got to figure it out. At least we had a mitre saw and he did give me some pointers.

Karen

Oh, I'm SO glad to learn I'm not the only one who struggles with this! I've got one of those mini-miter-boards, and STILL get it wrong most of the time. I have a pile of scrap wood now that I can "practice" with, and maybe eventually I'll learn how to do it right the first time 'round!

Thanks for all your input. Angles are definately not my thing either, and no matter how hard I try I can't get them right. My husband can use a mitre box with no problem, but keeps telling me the pieces are too small to use in the regular box. I'm going to try the miniature one and see how that goes. Yes, I used a lot of filler, and touch up paint in my foyer! At least that room is not all that visible, and what you can see looks pretty good.

I totally love my EZ cutter for this, and that's all I use, but tiny miter boxes are available at Micheal's in the picture frame department here. They little blade that is used with it is part of the set.

Kathie, it was one of the other Holly members, and it's in the Gallery; Roni gave the link:

I got the aluminum mini miterbox from HBS, rather than the plastic one, and I have two draw-saws as will as the Exacto hobby saw to use with it. You'll want to use scrapwood in the bottome to save the saw teeth from dulling on the metal bottom of the box.

Oops, I missed Roni's message with the link. That's the one I was looking for.

I wonder what's the difference between a tutorial and a pictorial. Seems to me, they both teach a process. So why aren't the pictorial links given on the tutorial page --- where I go to look for tutorials. :rofl:

From Harbor Freight tools...I use the mini aluminum miter box & saw and also like the electric mini cut-off saw from them. Both work very well for me & I use them all the time.

Steve in PA