HERE IT IS... My Best Yet (I think)

pjnick54

This one just about kicked my butt! I never tried a wedding cake before and did I try to do a simple one? No-o-o-o-o-o-o, of course not.

I truly didn't think I was going to be able to do it, but I'm just too doggone stubborn to give up.

Here's a peek - there's more in my gallery....

post-3223-1242109971_thumb.jpg

Pam, it is downright sinful the talent you have! But don't stop now! Keep it up! You're doing a fabulous job and will go far in the mini world! You're a true "foodie!"

Ahhhh, this would be worth a divorce and a re-marriage as well to be able to use such a goooorgeous cake as inspiration for the RL one!

Hugs and thanks for sharing!!!

Ooooops, double post... :) or it could be that I ought to have said to use this as inspiration for RL and in a mini setting as well...

Hugs

Thank you everyone. LOL - You're too funny, Anna! Darlene, I've only made one real-sized wedding cake in my life and that was for my daughter. But it wasn't as pretty as this one - go figure....

Thanks Liza - yes, you did tell me. See I had to live up to it.... hehe What kind of canes are you having trouble with?

Thanks again everyone! Now I need to get back to the roombox that goes along with this cake.

Thanks Liza - yes, you did tell me. See I had to live up to it.... hehe What kind of canes are you having trouble with?

I tried to make the orange slices on the weekend as my first attempt following a tutorial on the web - can't remember by who at the moment, but she also tells you how to make whole oranges and partially peeled oranges. Seems that I can't get it to lengthen properly, as more of the outer peel ended up on one side than the other, and when I tried to cut slices they got all squished. Maybe the clay was too warm? Maybe I used the wrong brand (Sculpty III)? Or are the canes cooked before slicing?

P.S. No one in either DH's or my family every squashes wedding cake into the others face at a wedding - yuk!

Thanks Val and Jeremy!

Liza - I think it's pretty common to have more peel at the end than you want, but if you bake it up too, it is great for orange 'zest' for baked goods or to slice thin for the edge of cocktail glasses or garnishment on dinner plates if you twist it just so.

You definitely need to bake the canes before slicing. If you absolutely must slice them beforehand, put them in the freezer for a while and then slice quickly when they come out before they warm up again. I hope this helps....

Liza - I think it's pretty common to have more peel at the end than you want, but if you bake it up too, it is great for orange 'zest' for baked goods or to slice thin for the edge of cocktail glasses or garnishment on dinner plates if you twist it just so.

You definitely need to bake the canes before slicing. If you absolutely must slice them beforehand, put them in the freezer for a while and then slice quickly when they come out before they warm up again. I hope this helps....

Thanks for the advice, Pam. Guess I'll have to try again, because it is something that I really want to be able to do. Starting with something that seems simple, then I want to try more complex canes because I absolutely love how realistic they can look!