Petit Point Rugs

EllieA

I was just wondering if anyone else here enjoys making petit point rugs. I have done a search on the forum to see some pictures, but I have not found any.

Will post the progress of my current one soon. As soon as I have a gallery that is. :hehe:

I got the idea to try one when reading the September 2008 issue of “DollsHouse and Miniature Scene” magazine. I used the border from the article. During the rug making process I found a book called “ Miniature Needlepoint Rugs for Dollhouses” by Susan McBaine and used ideas from a couple of patterns she had in the book to finish the body of the rug.

I have started a new rug that will be about 9X7”. I am using 3 patterns from the book to make a rug that will match my bedroom. I will post the progress of it as I get a little farther along and try to post a picture of the general pattern I am following.

Here's mine. It's made from a kit, a little over 7 x 10. Still needs to be blocked and finished. which I'll do right before it's ready to go into the room it's for in the future. I've started another one, some my own design and some borrowed from the kit pattern in different colors, and I just ordered a 40 count silk gauze tapestry to try.

Karen

carpet.jpg

Here are examples of the patterns I am using for my current rug.

The first is the border.

the second is the basic pattern.

The bottom is a tulip that will be in the center of the diamonds. Some of them will be up and some down so it will be a multidirectional rug.

The colors are kind of on the light gray shade of blue, green of white and rose, with a dark graygreen and charcoal for stems and outlines.

post-4359-1241971773_thumb.jpg

post-4359-1241972123.jpg

post-4359-1241972143_thumb.jpg

Edited by EllieA

I have a rug in my gallery done in cross-stitch in blue and yellow that will eventually go into my Glencroft on 22 count aida.

Right now, I am working on a florentine stitch rug for the Buttercup in pale green, a salmon pink and yellow on 22 count hardanger.

And I also have a simple rug design (probably cross-stitch) that I will be doing in shades of brown for my lodge, which I will be starting soon now that I have the floss colours I want.

Dover has a book of needlepoint rugs for dollhouses I just bought. It's got some great patterns in it. I've always drawn my own, and started an 8x10 last fall-lol! I carry it with me in my tote bag to school, but don't often get time to work on it. At home it's practically impossible to just sit down and sew, when there's nice messy painting and gluing to do! But I'm closing in on the end of it...slowly!

Thanks ladies. I love it too! I got the kit from Stitches in Miniature . She was at a dollhouse show in my area a couple of years ago. I was looking thru her sample board, saw that rug and fell in love. It was really easy to do, chart was very clear. Printing on the canvas was pretty good, it never got more than 1/2 to 1 row off. There was way more than enough floss of all colors.

Doing it on my own is just like counted cross stitch, only smaller. It's a little harder to do simply because you don't have the colors printed on the canvas as a guide.

The tapestry I've ordered will come from Micro Stitchery. It should be here in a couple of days. I ordered the Charles and Mary tapestry. Thought I'd start with something small and see how the 40 count goes. I REALLY want the Cluny tapestries (I have 3 reproductions of them RL size), but we'll see how the smaller one goes first.

Karen

I forgot to mention that there is a yahoo group that is strictly PP. It is an awesome group of people. We do updates of any progress made on our projects the 10th of each month.

IF you decide to join just tell the ladies Shelly N sent you!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Petitpointers/?yguid=48038522

Sue,

If you can deal with making minis (which you obviously can) you can do the needlepoint/petit point as well. If you've never done needlepoint before, just start out with something small like a pillow top and that has printed canvas (make sure it's a good quality source though, some printing is very sloppily done). Any good kit is going to give you directions on how to do the stitching, which is very simple, and other than that all you need is a good light source and good eyesight. I did the rug, it is 24 count, which equals 24 stitches per square inch, without any sort of magnification and not even the best light all the time, but I have excellent night vision anyway. For the silk gauze though I'm thinking about getting a pair of the reader glasses you can buy in the drug store rather cheaply, and will definitely use a good light source.

Karen

My father stitches rugs for my house and my mum blocks and finishes them. He uses them to keep him awake in the evening instead of falling asleep in front of the television. Most of the patterns he uses have come from a book that a girl in the material shop picked up from a charity shop because she knew he could use it. I could not afford to buy the rugs that he makes and I certainly don't have the time to stitch as many as he does. I suspect i have the best of both worlds and am more than just a little bit lucky!

I'm not quite at the rug-making stage yet, since I haven't even finished my floors yet :w00t: , but these are really, gorgeous! It made me remember that years ago, my mom had done a number of lovely rugs for her dollhouse. She used plastic perforated paper! It's a great gauge and it lies perfectly and there's no blocking or fussing. They worked great!

I have stitched a rug or two. Anna shared the pattern for her poinsettia rug in her Aster and I made it up about 3"+ square for the White Orchid and started another with a different color scheme, just to see how I like it (it'll be a bit larger), and I finished the 1:24 geometric rug for La Casita's sala; pictures are still in the camera. Here is the kitchen rug I stitched for Maggie:

gallery_8_988_152487.jpg

and here's the 1:24 Aubusson rug I stitched for my prospective Fairfield bash:

gallery_8_34_51234.jpg

Holly, Love that Aubusson. I am doing one right now, it does take quite a while to do !!!!

For a break from pp I work on this one!

post-72-1242180229_thumb.jpg I started this back in October or November of 08....I am using a single strand of floss and one wrap around the needle. It is all done in french knots. I am almost done with that large piece and can then start on the 2 smaller sections. Enjoy!