Half scale landscaping questions

Sherry

I'm about ready to start landscaping my house, but I've never done any this small. I'm just not sure what to use for moss on the roof, for instance. Real moss is almost too large for 1/1 scale, so I'm afraid it would really look bad on something smaller-or would it work if I just cut it up really small? Or maybe the loose 'grass' they make for trains sprinkled over glue would look better?

Anyone have any experience or ideas about this?

I've used lichen on a quarter scale house to thatch a roof and it came out cute. The coarse turf (railroad grass) is available in several shades of green and brown so that could work if you mixed it. I use coarse turf for a lot of things and have discovered that if you're putting it on a large area, spray glue is the best method. Cover the rest of your house with plastic and tape it down good before you spray the roof tho coz that stuff goes everywhere, but then you can simply sprinke it over the roof, put a sheet of waxed paper over it and press it down. (don't forget the waxed paper coz if you get it on your hands, you'll look like a Swamp Creature for a week) Corwin has a good idea to check at a railroaders hobby store and see what you can find there. They have whole sections of landscaping materials and you're sure to find something there.

Deb

Coarse turf is what I ended up getting this morning, Deb. Thanks for the tip about the wax paper! They think I'm weird anyway, showing up at school with stain I didn't notice on my elbow and things like that. Real green thumbs might be when they call for the men with the nets to come after me!

. Real green thumbs might be when they call for the men with the nets to come after me!

Especially if they're furry green thumbs!! It's an interesting look. LOL! Be sure and show us pictures when you're done. I'd love to see how it looks!

Deb

You can get some coarse turf in blues yellows reds, etc believe me i have some , but where oh where did i get it.I did see some with the trains. . .

Also for grass i have used a wash cloth green of course with other greens to highlight, (not my idea) it looked really good, I wonder if that would work in half scale. . . .

Well i think it looks ok, I would however next time try to get it in the crevices and make it look like it is spreading, but it still looks good!

Thanks, Holly! you can't imagine (probably you really can) how much fun I'm having with this little house! I've tried things on it that I never would have on an expensive one, and it's giving me courage to try some other things. It was $8 well spent-not counting the $20 worth of gnomes!

Thanks, Holly! you can't imagine (probably you really can) how much fun I'm having with this little house! I've tried things on it that I never would have on an expensive one, and it's giving me courage to try some other things. It was $8 well spent-not counting the $20 worth of gnomes!
I can imagie, exactly! One of the things I find with having the stash of kits I've acquired, and even more so with the rehab houses, is all the opportunities to experiment and play and grow our skills. It is such great fun!

That it is! I wish I could say I'd gotten more done, but it's just sitting, waiting for the tray to hold the landscaping. GS has been sick with allergies, so DS has not had time to make it. And I haven't felt well enough to work on it anyway. MY BP meds are giving me fits. If I take a whole dose (only 10 mg) I fall asleep at school. If I take less, the BP goes up. Maybe when school is out, I won't need it! I have such a list of dollhouse jobs to do once school is over!

I was taking a half dose of my BP meds (PA's suggestion) to counter the vertigo from orthostatic hypotension when I sit or stand, but now my MD prescribes the full dose and I take it in the evening, before I go to bed. Problem is, the same MD changed the time for my statin (to lower cholesterol) to AM and since I've been taking it I'm good for up to four hours after I wake up and then I have to go lie down to get my energy back. I read recently that statins can make people drowsy and so now I'll ask him next time I go in if I can go back to taking it in the evening.

Well, I did without yesterday and took everything at bedtime. I sure did sleep good, but woke really stopped up. These allergies are wearing me out. I'm so tired of coughing, sneezing, and eyes itching all the time!

DS swears he will get my tray built today, so hopefully I can landscape this weekend!

Sorry to hear about the allergies. The pollen and ragweed is just starting to bother here. My son and DH get so miserable. Keeping the house dust free is nearly a full time job in itself too. It's worst on DH who also has asthma. Hope you find a med that works for you-they are not all created equally. We've tried a fortune in stuff here, and it seems that even those prescription drugs who appear to work for awhile, loose their effectiveness over time. Hope you feel better soon.