Finally moved in

nechee

Finally moved in and got my computer set up. I have to say this. If we ever move again, I am hiring movers!! My back is still sore from all the moving on Thursday and Friday. I am still living in a demolition zone from all the boxes, but at least my kitchen and my living room look somewhat usable. We had to purchase a new stove as I would not let any food things near the stove that came with the house. That gets picked up today. While waiting for the cable company and the phone company I realized that when my husbands uncle renovated this house he cut the cable lines and the phone alines and did not put them back in. This whole house had no cable outlets or a phone jack anywhere in it. My husband let me get a new dishwasher too. We had to get a portable one becasue there was no way we could have put a built in one in my kitchen. My kids love the new backyard for them to play in. And I love the main floor laundry room. Hoping to be able to talk more later, I still have lots of unpacking to do.

Well in the battle of the boxes, the boxes are winning. I still have been unable to locate the book I was reading before I left the other place, and some of my kitchen utensils have gone wandering. Future Shop delivered the wrong stove that I ordered. And my new dishwasher is working overtime trying to wash everything that has sat in a box for a while. But my husband has managed to get his movies unpacked and every single one of his action figures which have now taken up any amount of storage area that we had. I think we should be looking at some shelves to put these figures on, at least then I can have my bookcases back. My living room looks like a living room and the basement looks like a demolition zone now. But at least i can live with that. Now when people come over they are not looking at all the stuff.

I think you're allowed a full year to get totally unpacked. Take your time, just do the necessities now. The really hard part is over with, so hopefully the next stuff will be easier! (like finding shelves for the action figs!)

Congratulations on your new home! I love moving, I highly regard it personally as spring cleaning! Sorry you don't enjoy the unpacking part of it.....that is when I find most of the things I lost when I moved before....LOL

i really really hate moving and have sworn off it altogether. They'll have to drag me outta here, kicking and screaming, should there ever come a time when I have to leave her! We've always moved ourselves, and even with the most careful packing and inventorying, things always seem to get lost (we've not had anything broken, though!). I think it all falls into a black hole, somewhere.

Anyway..take your time, you're in the house, the boxes won't go anywhere, and eventually it'll all get sorted out!

I agree with what everyone said... take your time and work on 1 room at a time!!! The overwhelming feeling comes when we unpack whatever box is closest and not in an planned way. Having the basement as your storage area for the boxes will be a big help to having a sense of calm. We moved into our house and immediately started rennovating and restoring the "old lady" and instead of doing one room at a time it was more like every room at a time and things would get partially done here and there but not completed right away. THen we went around and made a list of all of the things in each room that needed to be finished to make the room complete. We now have several rooms that are DONE and 1 room that is in complete chaos but on its way to completion.

Hang in there... it all comes together eventually!!

I was lucky, last time we moved, I took all of our stuff with us to closing - 5 trucks with trailers and moved in that night. The house was impeccable, I didn't have to do a thing. My mother kept the kids for a week and I was so hyped up, I had almost everything unpacked in that time. Of course, we didn't have a lot and I slept for 2 weeks after that....

Take your time. You will find it all someday. And then wonder how the kitchen utensils got in the box of christmas decorations.

I don't mind unpacking, but when my husband and I are trying to unpack different boxes at the same time and he is asking me every three seconds where I want something, (especially when it is his something) it drives me a little nuts. I fianlly got a little mad at him when he asked for the millionth time where to put something of his and I snapped at him saying "wherever it fits". He got a little mad at me, but at least he stopped asking me where I wanted his things put. We managed to buy another shelving unit this weekend, but of course the action figures got that. I decided to stack all my books in the middle of the living room floor and I told him that since he keeps taking over all my shelves that he can find a place for these books which are accessable to me when I want them. Right now they are still stacked where I put them and they are staying there until he finds a spot for them for me. I found six books that I thought I had lost because over the past couple of years I was constantly having to store my books in boxes all over the house, now I refuse to sort through boxes when I want a certain book to read. My kitchen looks like a normal kitchen now and my living room (except for the stacks of books) looks like a normal living room. My kids rooms are perfect, and my bedroom looks like a hurricane hit it, but that it OK I can close he door and I only sleep in there.