Rejoining the mini world

calicocow

I made my first dollhouse about 10 years ago and discovered the world of minis and miniature making. I put together 2 small houses, one for myself and one for my niece's little girl. I didn't have children of my own at the time, so I enjoyed spoiling the little ones in my extended family.

My mother grew ill soon after I started minis and I became her sole caregiver. That was pretty much a 24/7 job and my time with minis ended until recently. A few years ago, after 16 years of being married, I unexpectedly got pregnant. I now have 2 wonderful children, a 6 year old son and a 4 year old daughter. They keep me quite busy, but also gave me a reason to start minis again.

While moving last year, I came across an old Duracraft San Franciscan I had purchased with just the basic frame started at a yard sale back when I first started into minis and decided to finally put it together and give it to my daughter. That house proved quite a challenge, as I had never built a house that big, nor that complex. Add to that the fact that the previous builder (a young man who had bought it to build for his girlfriend but got dumped before he got very far with the house) had made several mistakes putting together the frame. I had to chop and patch quite a bit. The house itself is now almost about complete, but I have yet to wire and wallpaper and decorate. And being as my daughter is quite a 'girlie girl', the house is pink, her favorite color.

For my birthday this year, my hubby bought me a Real Good Toys Victoria's Farmhouse. I had started assembling it for myself when my son found their catalog in the box and drooled over the Ponderosa. I grumbled at the price and then took a long, hard look at the Farmhouse. It's now well on it's way to becoming Andy's Cowboy Ranch house (I jokingly referred to it as 'Brokeback Ranch'. My hubby didn't think that was quite as humorous as I did *hee hee*). I am having a ball with this one and plan on getting the shingles on it this week as soon a houseguest we have leaves (it's a terrible thing to be champing at the bit for company to leave so you can get back to building dollhouses again :D ).

I figure my time with minis will last longer than it did last time. I had picked up several kits at yard sales over the years, so I am well stocked. And last week I found a Duracraft Bayberry on clearance for $42 and picked it up. Yesterday, I was in a hobby shop that was discontinuing their dollhouses and found a Pierce for $43. They had several unpainted model houses, too. I talked with the salesperson and she said they'd probably clear those out also, but to be careful since they were really put together badly. I'm probably going to go back and talk to the owner soon. I am probably going to have to live to 400 year old just to finish what I already own *blushes*.

Love the forum! I've been lurking and learning for a while now, but thought I should be polite and go ahead and say howdy!

Lisa

Hi Lisa, welcome to the forum. I have to laugh when I think how addicted we become to this hobby, you certainly do have quite a stash already.

Don't forget to post pictures of your Ranch house. We love pictures here.

Wendy

Hi Lisa,

Welcome back to the world of minis. Whoohoo another yard sale shopper!! It's so exciting to find a dollhouse that someone just thinks is useless and bring it home and fix it up! I love that best! And clearance is my weakness! lol Sounds like you got some Great buys!!

:D

-David

Welcome to the Community Lisa!! Wow what a wonderful story! I too cannot wait to see pictures of your wonderful houses as they a built. The houses you mentioned are all Beautiful houses to have.

When I first moved here 5 years ago, there were 3 mini shops here in town. Now, we have none so I say stock up on all supplies and wallpapers or lighting that you can while it's available to you. A Pierce for $43 is too much of a bargin to pass up!

Thanks again for stopping in and saying Hello and please keep in touch and share the pictures with us!

Welcome back to the wonderful addiction, uh I mean hobby of dollhouse building. Can't wait to hear your progress on the "ranch", also about any more great bargains you may pick up.

Welcome to the forum, Lisa, my first dh kit was the San Franciscan. I made a lot of mistakes putting it together, plus I was going to nursing school at the time. I wish I'd had this forum then, I have found the posts on how to remove various types of adhesives very useful :lol: Can't wait to see pictures of your progress!

Thank you all so much for the wonderfully warm welcome! :lol: I do have a few pics. Is there a special place on the forum that I am supposed to put them, or can I just post them here?

It is becoming an addiction for me. I informed hubby last week that if we proceeded with remodeling the attic for a play area for his trains and for the kids' toys, there had to be a special area for my minis as well *grins*.

I am a big bargain shopper! Yard sales, thrift stores, coupons, and sales is the only way I can afford to support my habit, I mean hobby :lol: . I'm halfway handy, so if I really want something, but can't afford it, I try and make it. I have learned sooo much from reading here! Y'all are a talented bunch!

You can make a gallery by clciking the "My Controls" link at the top of this page. Ot the left side of the page after you click the link you will see a heading that says Gallery or Invision Gallery and you can create your gallery right here on the forum.

Can't wait to see your pictures!

Hi Lisa and welcome to the forum! I have to admit that with your knack for finding great deals, my first thought is that I wanna go shopping with you!! :lol: :lol: :D My second thought is that you do very nice work. Thanks for sharing pictures with us.

Deb

Thanks, Deb and Havanaholly! I'm still kinda a newbie, but I'm having a ball! :lol:

And if y'all are ever in the area, lemme know and I'll take ya to all the good places!

Woo Hoo! Hobby Lobby emailed me back. I'm betting they did with all of us who asked, but just in case, here's the email they sent:

Thank you for shopping at Hobby Lobby. We apologize for any

inconvenience you may have experienced while shopping at Hobby Lobby.

Hobby Lobby is not discontinuing our line of Dollhouses and Miniatures.

One particular brand of Dollhouse, by Dura-Craft, is being deleted, due

to their ceasing of operations over a year ago. We are currently waiting

for shipments of items to arrive in our warehouse, so the stores can be

replenished.

Your feedback on the performance of our stores is appreciated; it helps

us to better serve you, the customer. Thank you for taking the time to

tell us about your experiences with our store and giving us the

opportunity to better serve you.

We hope that you will continue to shop at Hobby Lobby and that all of

your future visits are pleasant and productive.

Lisa: Just had a chance to look at your gallery. You have done a very good job. I saw that your little girl's name is Pearl. That was my Mother's name and I haven't heard of anyone else with that name.

Hi Peggi,

Pearl was my grandmother's name and when we were discussing baby names, it was on the top of the list. At the time, I kidded my hubby about the fact that she started as a tiny little dot that grew into a thing of beauty, just as a grain of sand does in an oyster. I kinda like the fact that it's not a common name these days.

Funny side note, my grandmother's sister was named Peggy. :)