Beacon Hill

Ok,I'll try to explain this the best I can....the interior partitions,for the living room/hall,there are two of them one is smaller and one is large...Im talking about the ones that get added after the stairs are in place...the larger one that is actually the one closest to the back of the house....I want to leave it out,I think it looks nice without it,my question is, is it load bearing or would it hurt the "soundness" of the structure of the house too much to leave it out? Thanks for any help!

It is added after, so I do not see it being a problem. If after you have the house filled it does seem to want to sag, you could add a post. I would think it deepends on how heavy the furniture is that you put on the floor above. From looking at mine, it seems the stairs are what is taking the load.

looking at mine i think it would look fabulous taken out :lol: and wouldnt 'unbalance' the house at all...and as Suzanne said a post could come to the rescue if needs be :yay:

Thanks Ladies, Suzanne, I had to smile at your post,my stairs arent taking any load, I had to cut off all of the tabs to get it in place! Now Ive got it just kind of shoved in place and dont even think Ill take it out to glue it,doesnt really need glue its stuck. But when I did the floorboards in that hallway I used glue mixed with paint in a heavy coating and that seeped around the stair base enough to stick it in place forever! This house has really been a challenge for me! The kit I have is old (from ebay)and I think some of the wood has been slightly warped and is brittle...live and learn;) I dont like that the little living room door is the only entrance into the living room, so I might still try leaving that section out. Thanks for the great advice!

Also, just thought of this,Ill be using lots of ceiling cornice trim and that should strengthen things up quite a bit.

I have done this, I took out both small walls and put in a counter with a column as the ceiling did seem to sag a little, there are pictures in my album.

Suzy I have looked at yours,I think Ive spent hours on here looking at everyones Beacon Hills! Yours is very nice and I like what you did with the column.

Thanks Deana, I did plan to use edging,the channel wood type you mean? Thats what I was planning.

• 1 month later...

I am leaving that wall out as well. I've changed the floorplan so that the area behind the stair case is the kitchen, and will be open to the back half of the living room. It seems plenty strong so far, but I think I'm going to add a support post when the time comes for long-term durability. A pic is attached post-3416-1244331585_thumb.jpg.