Any Porcelain Doll collectors out there?

Hey Everyone,

My Great-Great (My Great-grandma) has gone into poor health and is now living in a very expensive assisted living unit. My grandpa (her only child) has nearly depleted her checking and savings accounts. So after going through her and deeming items of antique and value I was put in charge of selling her collection of 164 porcelain dolls.

Does anyone know anything about doll collecting or doll values? I have done tons of research, but am getting some rather vague results.

Here is the link to the dolls, if you want to look for fun, or if you know anything specific. The handwritten number/letter means nothing except a way for me to categorize the dolls. Specifically I am trying to find any information on the J1-J4 Nishi Japanese Dolls. All I really know is that they were purchased in Okinawa, Japan in the 1950's

http://picasaweb.google.com/penn1783/GreatGreatSDolls#

Thanks everyone!

-Andrea

Hi Andrea,

It might be time-consuming, but I think what I would do is get on ebay and do a doll search and see how many dolls are listed that are like yours. You can see what kinds of prices they are going for and how many bids they are getting to get an idea of interest. It may offer some info on them too as to the year, artist/maker, etc. I would think the Shirley Temple and Barbie dolls especially would be a hit.

Perhaps Wolfie could help you too. She knows a lot about dolls. I will email her this link and have her take a look.

Can'tr help you on this.......big dolls are not my forte. The Shirley Temple, if an original, would go for a very high price. If it's a copy, for much much less.

Most doll shops will have a Blue Book of Dolls. You could call around to see if they have the Blue Book, and if they do, perhaps visit them and check it out! Also there are books on values at Barnes and Noble Bookstores....check around and you will find current values on all of those absolutely gorgeous dolls!

I would call and/or email a doll shop and see if they can help you...

The one that my mom goes to every year is Doll Corner in Piegon Forge, TN

http://www.dollcorner.com/

Dolls are iffie and are mostly a collector thing not really a big money maker like someone

says if you have first in series of a really old doll...

My mom has over 2000 so I know I will have to some day go through the same thing..

I LOVE that collection! I know that dolls are not going for as much as they did 3 years ago but I would go to a Doll Store as Jennifer suggested. Don't let them know you want to sell them though. I had one place to offer me $500 for my entire box of Barbies several years ago. I made that selling only 2 of them on ebay back then so be diligent if you really want to get it's worth!

I really don't know much about porcelain dolls, but that is a huge collection! I hope you are able to make enough money to offset some of your great grandma's expenses.

Best of luck finding info on the dolls! Would an antique dealer be able to help you out? Maybe make a few calls to local shops? One may deal in collectible dolls and be able to point you in the right direction.

I'm going to try and help you here a bit.

ST2 is a Shirley Temple that could be worth a few dollars, ST3, ditto, H1,H2, &H3 look to be run of the mill mass produced porcelains, not worth much, H4,H5 & H6 ditto, ST5 is a nice child Shirley Temple that could be worth a bit, ST4 ditto,S16 not sure, looks vinyl, H7 mass produced porcelain-not worth much, H8-ditto,ST6-vinyl Shirley Temple from the late 1950's-could be worth a bit, H9-mass produced porcelain, U1-ditto,U2-ditto,7-Scarlett O'Hara,vinyl, worth a few bucks,the orientals I have no clue, H10-mass produced porcelain, H11-ditto,B1-not sure about her,B2-ditto,C1-mass produced porcelain, C2-ditto,C3-ditto,C4-ditto,T1-Tiara doll from the 1980's vinyl, worth about $30, T2-ditto,PM1-Precious Moments doll, not worth much, PM2-ditto,M1-Dorothy doll from Wizard of Oz, looks vinyl, not sure about price, V3-Ginny from Vogue, $25-$30, M2 & 3, little plastic or celluloids, not worth much, but cute, T3-another vinyl Tiara doll, maybe $30, Trolls 1, 2 & 3, maybe $10-$15, P1-mass produced porcelain, P2-ditto, M4 & 5, look like little Vogues, $10-$15, doll in red fur trimmed outfit-looks vinyl, not worth much, 8-very pretty bride, not sure about her by just looking at her, M7 & M8-Danbury Mint dolls, $10-$15, M9-another mass produced porcelain, M10-ditto, M23 & M23, look like vinyls, $5-$10, M14-mass produced porcelain, M15-Strawberry Shortcake doll, vinyl, $10, M12-mass produced porcelain, M18-Betty Boop, not sure about price offhand, Porcelain doll in blue coat-maybe $10, Porcelain doll in red-ditto, doll in red polka-dot dress, $5, SD1-looks like a vinyl, $5, SD3-these look like old souvenier dolls, Dutch..worth a few dollars each, SD4-indian dolls, cute, $10, SD5-eskimo doll, $5, SD6-plastic, $5, MB4-looks like 1970's doll, vinyl, $10, MB1-not sure on price, MB2-ditto, MB3-ditto, Snow White Barbie-ditto, Wedding Fantasy Barbie-ditto, SD7-not sure, would have to examine them closer, ?26-doll in silver dress, porcelain, probably not worth much, M27-not sure about her, but pretty, PG3-mass produced porcelain, M28-ditto, U3-ditto, U4-looks like an older '50's small doll, $10, U5-2 inexpensive fashion dolls from about the 1970's, not worth much, Doll in pink dress, mass produced porcelain, M30-ditto, M31-looks like a plastic doll, probably not worth much, M32-mass produced porcelain, M33-ditto, M34-reproduction antique doll, worth a few dollars, U6-looks like plastic doll, not worth much, U7-plastic or vinyl, perhaps souvenier type doll, $5, U8-mass produced porcelain doll, M35 Danbury Mint doll, $20, B3-not sure, 34-not sure, Venezia doll-looks like souvenier doll, $10, C1, 2 & 3-little plastics, not worth much, C4-string doll, not worth much, M36-rag doll, $15, TC3-indian doll, $20, SD9-little plastic indian doll, $5, M38-mass produced porcelain doll, M37-looks like handmade doll, $20, C5-celluloid cuties, $10, U9-another reproduction antique doll, $15, M39-little plastic doll, $5, M40-small repro antique doll, $5, SD10-looks like souvenier doll, $10, U10-mass produced porcelain, M43-looks like handmade doll, $20, M44-nutcracker, have no idea on price, Clown-$15, M45-Effanbee doll, $15, Baby in white outfit, $5, U13-$5, M46-Daddy's Babies doll, $20, C6-small plastic, $5, Cd 1 & 2, $5, N1, N2, N3 & N4-little plastics, $10, Doll Head-not sure, Porcelain figures, $40, next set of porcelain figures, $40, maybe more, Little tiger figurines -$5, 2 Chinese figurines-not sure, #1, 2 & 3-Cissette dolls, $30 each, #4, 5, & 6-ditto, V1thru 13 look like Vogue Ginny international costume dolls, might be worth some money if they are original, Shirley Temple in Pink, porcelain doll, not sure on price, M22-Bride doll, $50, M11-about $20, maybe, M16 & 3, not real sure on these, M14,17,21 & 20-mass produced porcelains, Princess Diana doll-very nice, not sure on price, Baby in pink-vinyl?, $20, Next baby in pink-looks porcelain, $20.

These are just estimates, mind you. The mass produced porcelain dolls are not worth much of anything; Goodwill is packed with them and can't get rid of them. The orientals may be worth something, and the little international costumed Ginnys are a good possibility. The old plastics are not worth much. The vinyl 1950's Shirley could get you about $100 maybe, or more. 

I wish I could give you a better idea of worth; it's not a really valuable collection, more of a sentimental value thing. But you might get a few hundred for it. 

We have an acquaintance who sells for us on Ebay from time to time; you would be amazed what people will pay for the dolls if you offer them singly or in small lots, but let an experienced broker who comes recommended handle them for you. We sold our youngest son's Masters of the Universe collection last year for him, by no means "mint" or "NIB" and he got over US$600 for it.

We have an acquaintance who sells for us on Ebay from time to time; you would be amazed what people will pay for the dolls if you offer them singly or in small lots, but let an experienced broker who comes recommended handle them for you. We sold our youngest son's Masters of the Universe collection last year for him, by no means "mint" or "NIB" and he got over US$600 for it.

Right you are..you can never tell what someone will pay for something. 

$600 for the Masters of the Universe collection? Wow! My kids had all of those. I'll have to tell them that...they probably have them stashed somewhere...probably at their fathers house...he never throws anything away!

• 2 months later...

I'm with Sally. I used to have a doll business...restoring antiques, and making repros, back about 25 yrs ago. Since then the market has exploded, and resales have dropped in prices. The collection is lovely, and I'm sure it gave your great grandmother a great deal of joy, as mine does, but it is not an expensive group of dolls. I think your best bet is e-bay. A collector might be looking for a specific doll, and be willing to pay a fair amount for it. I would also sell in small or individual lots. Check out what others are getting, and good luck to you, and to your great-grandmother.

• 12 years later...
On 7/14/2009 at 3:53 PM, patricia b said:

I'm with Sally. I used to have a doll business...restoring antiques, and making repros, back about 25 yrs ago. Since then the market has exploded, and resales have dropped in prices. The collection is lovely, and I'm sure it gave your great grandmother a great deal of joy, as mine does, but it is not an expensive group of dolls. I think your best bet is e-bay. A collector might be looking for a specific doll, and be willing to pay a fair amount for it. I would also sell in small or individual lots. Check out what others are getting, and good luck to you, and to your great-grandmother.

• 1 month later...