Witchy Wart wasnt a wart at all..

heidiiiii

I have to go back to the Derm office in 2 weeks because that *wart* on my face was actually a pre-cancerous lesion. The girl on the phone said I have to have the area frozen with liquid nitrogen.. :) Very non evasive..she said.

Has anyone had a pre-cancerous lesion on their skin?

Does liquid nitrogen hurt?

I am going to try and NOT let this bother me..but you all know me so well. I have had a rotten day already with a frank discussion with Chelsea..Do not want to talk about it but tears were shed and not by her.

Then my booty hurts but I went to the gym anyway. Then we found out there are 2 cases of Swine flu only 20 miles from HERE and now this.

I wish I had some extra money cause I would really like to ruin my good eating habits right now!

My wart was actually actinic keratosis that can turn into squamous cell carcoma. Oh..the thing on my scalp..it is not a wart but a scaly thing..she said it was the same thing as the wart but we could leave it alone. I guess not now.

Haven't had any experience with those, but sending hugs and positive, good thoughts your way! I've had liquid nitrogen for warts before (incl one on my chin), and suspect it'll be similar. It did hurt a little while it was getting frozen, but didn't last long.

Hope you get the treatment soon.

Muriel

Same here, I did not feel any pain. Also, my fiance had had to have a couple off his face and according to him it did not hurt. However, it did scab for quite a few days. Luckily, men aren't as vain as we are so he could care less. I hope everything turns out well and it is good that they caught this. He goes back now every year for a cancer check on his whole body. He has several areas on his cute little bald head that they have to watch caused by too much sun in Iraq and Afganistan. Good thing is that the military has to cover all these check ups since it happened while he was in the Airforce.

I will be thinking of you and wishing you all the best. Please do not worry about the swine flu. We have had a confirmed case here but so far not very close. I work for a hospital like Fred and we are preparing for a pandemic episode but I am not going to worry about it because worrying causes wrinkles LOL

PRE-cancerous is a good thing. Meaning they (you) found it and it will be gone before it becomes cancerous.

The liquid nitrogen -- I'd describe more as "uncomfortable" than painful. A frozen sensation, a stinging sensation, and then nothing more. Usually doesn't even leave a scar -- just a bit of redness for a couple of days and then nothing.

Only thing is -- it does mean you have to keep watch for more, because usually once one appears, others can follow. Not necessarily, but it's a possibility. And so long as you catch them as pre-cancerous things, then a bit of cold stinging and they're gone.

My father in law has them removed ever so often. They are common among farmers and other people who work in the out of doors a lot. He's 83 and been having them removed for years. The trick is to get them before they get large enough to be a problem. DH also has them, from years of coaching outside.

They will probably tell you to wear plenty of sunscreen and cover up when you go out from now on!

My husband has had several removed over the years. His family are all fair skinned Italians from the North of Italy, (think Austria) and every one of them have had these kinds of growth. Freezing was not particularly painful but depending on the size it can cause a rather noticiable scab for a few days. He goes twice a year for a body exam for suspicious looking growths. I would not be overly concerned about the procedure. Like the others said, you found it early!

See, I am sure it will be fine. Can't be as bad as childbirth.

I wouldn't worry about the swine flu. Summer is almost here and I am sure it will die out. Just keep purel or something handy in the car for when you go shopping and have to touch stuff. Wash your fresh food products well and don't eat out for a while.

The one on my face is the one I am not so terribly worried about..it is the one on my scalp. It is not wart-like but more scaly. She said at the first visit that they are both growths that are the same but just present differently. The one on my scalp I have had for over 2 years. I wanted to get the *wart* removed but the real reason I went was because of the one on my scalp. It has grown and changed color since the last time Fred looked at it.

I thought I was getting a touch of psoriasis like my Mom so I never thought anything about it.

Fair skinned Italian/Swedish/Norwegian/Polish (I am a Mutt). I was also a beach baby.

I think I am more scared about how she is going to biopsy the one on my head. Nothing sticking out to cut off! That one is gonna hurt.

Thanks for letting me know about it. Oh, the growth on my face was cut off so they will nitrogen my skin where it used to be. Dang..And I was planning to get my picture done for Playboy! ROFL Guess I cant do that now.

Good luck and fast healing! Thank goodness it was found this early. My very best friend, Mary Jane had Malignant Melanoma a couple years ago, and it was found during a Doctor visit for something else. Her Doctor asked another to step into the room to ask him a question. He looked at MJ, and glanced down at her arm, and made a beeline to look at it. He said what she thought was just an ugly mole needed to come off asap. She went straight to a surgeon, and lucky for her it had grown down to the last derm layer before it hit her bloodstream. If it would have gone deeper, she would have not have a very good prognosis.

I agree with the others about the liquid nitrogen. I had many removed from my fingers as a child. When they apply it there is a very cold sensation and afterwards a mildly uncomfortable stinging, but it does go away quickly. Trust me your worry will be much worse than the actual procedure. I will be thinking lots of good thoughts for you though :banana:

I am going to really really really try and not let this bother me..the C thing. I am worried about the biopsy on my scalp though. I just know it is going to hurt like H.E.L.L.

You cannot sugar coat that one. When she took the wart off, it only hurt for a little while but I think because this is more of a flat scaly thing..the chunk is gonna really hurt afterward.

I know I know. I have had kids and one of the top 10 most painful surgeries last year. I will just have to say *Suck it up, Buttercup*

Good thing I have an appointment with my therapist this morning. I can unload on her about the stuff with Chelsea and the news about my face.

Heidi,

I have had 2 squamous cell carcinomas, one was on my forehead. It grew larger and darkened and like you, I suspected it wasn't normal tissue. I had it surgically removed with Mohs procedure and not even a scar shows now. I caught both early and everything was fine.

But I know it's nerve racking. I fretted for weeks. In the end it was a very minor as far as medical problems go. And recovery was quick.

Hoping all goes well for you. When you catch them early, it's about like having a wart, nothing more! Just inconvenient. Check yourself often and don't hesitate with ANYTHING suspicious.

I hope this helps a little.

Good luck Heidi! Doug has had some skin cancers removed from his forehead, and like the rest it stings a big, but no real pain. So sorry though! Hope it all goes very well and fast for you!

And remember, "it only hurts for a little while!" LOL

• 3 weeks later...

I go in this Friday to have the freeze done on my face. I do not know what she is going to do about the one on my scalp but I do not want it to be ignored. She said it was the same thing as the one on my face but different.

I also have a warty thing on my upper arm. The other day I looked at it and it LOOKS like the one I had on my face. I have had that one for a very long time. If she wants to remove THAT one..it is going to HURT and the scar is going to be ugly.

I have an ugly scar now from the one on my face.

I think she is going to want to map out my whole body too. UGH! I do not want to do that but I guess I had better be prepared for it.

Wish me luck.

I have been kind of down the past week. That is why you have not seen much of me lately. I am trying to prepare myself for what she is going to say about the other things that may have to be removed and frozen.

Good luck, Heidi. I sure hope that everything turns out fine. Just think, although it may be small consolation, it is better to deal with all of them now than to wait and let them get bigger.

Make sure to let us know how things went after everything is over.

<<<<<<BIG HUGS>>>>>>

It doesn't sound fun, but better to have a little discomfort now than to have to go through chemo.

Oh god! I have been trying to ignore the implications of chemo or radiation.

The discomfort of the face one was bad but not awful. But I know that the others are going to hurt. You just kind of know from how they are on your body.

From what I have read, it is basically freezing and cutting. After the freezes, if they do not heal, then you go for more freezes on the same spot. If they still do not heal correctly, then I do not know what happens.

I have been just very down the past week or so. I know it is because of the up coming procedure. I have talked to many people and it is usually a piece of cake. They are taken care of and you just have to be diligent. No going out in the sun without sunscreen, having regular body checks, etc.

I will be okay. I basically put it out of my mind these past few weeks but since I know it is coming, it is bothering me. Any kind of cancer, pre or not, is scary.