Victprian wall to wall carpet..

Windsor

Actually, according to Victorian Interior Decoration - American Interiors 1830-1900 by Gail Caskery Inkler and Roger W. Moss, wall to wall carpets were in use from 1850's through 1880s, sometimes with area rugs here and in areas prone to get more wear. In 1860, "a census recorded 13 million yards of carpeting manufactured in that year at an average value of 59 dents a yard."

"Eastlake and his followers urged householders to eschew wall-to-wall carpet. To support the new aesthetic, critics claimed that if offered hygenic benefits while saving expenses." This was contemporaneous with mechanized carpet making in the United States.

By the 1890's wall-to-wall carpet seemed to be waning in popularity, though the Victorian house I lived in for a year as a child, built about 1896 did have wall to wall carpet in the dining room. From my experience with antique rugs, I would judge the carpet to be contemporary with the house's construction. The dining room and master bedroom both had wall-to-wall carpet, one bedroom had a large rug covering the center of the room, two bedrooms had no carpet.

Arts and crafts houses would not have wall-to-wall carpet.

So basically, it varies according to the years and decorating style espoused.

I have used tapestry fabric in a smaller scale design to mimic the look of the carpet of the day. After cutting tapestry fabric, which is very prone to ravel, give the raw edges a generous brushing with clear nail polish. Nail polish is cheaper than Fray Chek, is not rubbery, and fairly discreet.

I grew up in an "Old West End" area of Toledo, Ohio. The house was built late 18/early 1900's and had, not original I don't believe, wall-to-wall carpet in its formal entry rooms. Carpet was deep burgundy and black with HUGE reddish roses - gorgeous! In regards to scale, I'm not sure those roses fit that home, but they were astounding and were mimmicked by later manufacturers. Currently, my home, my roots, is a 1910-1920 Craftsman "kit house' (imagine that!) and had no carpet - only hardwood floors on both stories.

P.S. Tapestry fabric is the way to go! Personally, I'd shie away from nail polish - it yellows, chips, and breaks down. I'd use heat-bond tape to seal the edges.

While we're speaking of upholstry fabric for carpeting . . . my sister just bought a serger and I thought to myself, that would be a great thing to have for mini-ing! Especially for carpeting . . . you could serge around all the edges and therefore have a nice edge and keep it from fraying. It would look really nice at the back opening edge too.

It could also be good for curtains, bedding . . . you name it!

Must start saving for a serger!! Don't think it will fit into my dollhouse tool kit though! LOL!!