Victprian wall to wall carpet..

Windsor

Does anyone know where I can get Victorian wall to wall carpet? Ive only ever seen plain colors, sometimes tweed, but im looking for a carpet that has those fancy designs like all the great looking rugs available. I'll settle for material with a mini design if I have to, but i'd rather have something with that carpet feel. So if anyone has any great ideas lket me know :yikes:

Actually, according to Victorian Interior Decoration - American Interiors 1830-1900 by Gail Caskery Inkler and Roger W. Moss, wall to wall carpets were in use from 1850's through 1880s, sometimes with area rugs here and in areas prone to get more wear. In 1860, "a census recorded 13 million yards of carpeting manufactured in that year at an average value of 59 dents a yard."

"Eastlake and his followers urged householders to eschew wall-to-wall carpet. To support the new aesthetic, critics claimed that if offered hygenic benefits while saving expenses." This was contemporaneous with mechanized carpet making in the United States.

By the 1890's wall-to-wall carpet seemed to be waning in popularity, though the Victorian house I lived in for a year as a child, built about 1896 did have wall to wall carpet in the dining room. From my experience with antique rugs, I would judge the carpet to be contemporary with the house's construction. The dining room and master bedroom both had wall-to-wall carpet, one bedroom had a large rug covering the center of the room, two bedrooms had no carpet.

Arts and crafts houses would not have wall-to-wall carpet.

So basically, it varies according to the years and decorating style espoused.

I have used tapestry fabric in a smaller scale design to mimic the look of the carpet of the day. After cutting tapestry fabric, which is very prone to ravel, give the raw edges a generous brushing with clear nail polish. Nail polish is cheaper than Fray Chek, is not rubbery, and fairly discreet.

Brodnax makes a line of Victorian style carpets. They're printed on a paper backing and feel sort of like felt on top.

http://www.handleyhouse.com/RUGS-C385.aspx...pHVn27rT2HALDck

If you see a pattern you like, I can check with Handley House and see if they have it in stock.

I don't carry them in the store right now, though I probably will add them eventually, but I can order them.

The most information available online about Victorian interiors is at:

http://victoriandecorating.blogspot.com/

You can always use fabric to make carpets. I also had been looking for fancy designed wall to wall carpet and then I realized that fabric can be used to make it. Teresa, from the forum, just sent me a lovely patterned fabric that she used on her Beacon Hill to make carpets. Its beautiful.

I have been wondering the same thing for a long time. I've seen some pictures with the wall to wall carpet, but I haven't found a miniature store that has any.

I tried to make my own on photoshop. They have the look but they don't have the feel. <_< I need to put more texture in the second one. But, anyway, here are some samples I came with. I probably will use wood flooring with rugs.

Like I said, I need the feel of a carpet. (The second one is too green!)

I've found that some nice heavier weight flannels make nice carpets. The thing is, you have to look for them. The store where I used to be able to find them closed last year. I wish I had bought more yardage. They used to have some pretty nice patterns in there.

Mary, after you print out your rug on a good quality matt photo paper & seal it, take a single ply of facial tissue, dip it into 50-50 diluted mixture of white glue & water and carefully spmmoth it on top of your printie to get a texture.

take a single ply of facial tissue, dip it into 50-50 diluted mixture of white glue & water and carefully spmmoth it on top of your printie to get a texture.

I think I missed the lesson on spmmothing. <_<

Mary, after you print out your rug on a good quality matt photo paper & seal it, take a single ply of facial tissue, dip it into 50-50 diluted mixture of white glue & water and carefully spmmoth it on top of your printie to get a texture.

Holly, I think that would lighten the color considerably.

I tried playing with the color values on the green one. I don't know if this will upload or not.

I decreased the green, pushed the blue, and played little with the red.

Lynette, I see you like to play with the colors, too! <_<

I'm always playing with color. I just wish I had control over yellow as well. would have increased it a little. I don't know why green is a color adjustment it does, when the primary colors are red, yellow, and blue.

What software are you using?

I've just been using the one with the scanner (Canon Scancraft), but since I got a newer computer my printer won't play with the rest of the electronic kids! I picked up another scanner/printer at the thrift store yesterday, which I need to download software for.

I haven't been brave enough to try photoshop yet.

I use upholstry fabric from the remnant section of Hancock Fabrics. You can get some real nice fabrics with designs small enough to be used for 1:12 scale. Most of them have a really nice texture which makes them nice for Victorian carpeting.

Here's a picture of the new carpet I just installed in Pennethorne Manor's boudoir. I've spent the weekend redecorating as I purchased a new bed, vanity and drapes from Ruth Ellen. Whew . . . I'm exhausted!

post-267-1240796290_thumb.jpg

I get them to cut about 1/3 of a yard which equals about 12 inches. This fits most large size rooms, but I'd measure yours first just to be sure. There's nothing worse than being short 1 or 2 inches!!

Windsor,

For me, I would definitely not use printies for carpet. If you don't want wood floors at all, and no rugs at all, there are great fabrics out there to use. You just need to make sure the scale would be correct, and that the fabric itself wouldn't pull or snag.

I am using wood floors and I have bought rugs. :wub:

I'm going to take off the pix of the carpet samples to make room for more stuff!!!! <_<

I use upholstry fabric from the remnant section of Hancock Fabrics. You can get some real nice fabrics with designs small enough to be used for 1:12 scale. Most of them have a really nice texture which makes them nice for Victorian carpeting.

Here's a picture of the new carpet I just installed in Pennethorne Manor's boudoir. I've spent the weekend redecorating as I purchased a new bed, vanity and drapes from Ruth Ellen. Whew . . . I'm exhausted!

I get them to cut about 1/3 of a yard which equals about 12 inches. This fits most large size rooms, but I'd measure yours first just to be sure. There's nothing worse than being short 1 or 2 inches!!

I really like that!!!!

Wow that looks great! Thats the exact look im going for, I think i'll be going material shopping. :idiot: