Half scale rocks-how big?

Sherry

I'm getting ready to paint and cut egg carton stones for my puzzle house. I think I'll make them square stones for this, so how big? I want them to look large and solid, but still in scale. So, those of you who cut stones for houses, any advice? Thanks in advance!

I "carve" the stones into the spackle. For 1:24 scale your "stones will be 1/4 as big as the ones you'd make for 1:12 scale (half as wide X half as high). Measure RL stonework, convert it to inches & divide by 24.

There just aren't any stone houses around here to measure, Holly! I guess I can just cut an assortment of sizes and try to see which ones look best. But no spackle, I have such fun with the egg carton ones. I did just do my first patching with the spackle this morning, it was easy. But I still have reservations about covering an entire house with it. I'm just a coward!

Sherry, I'd use a reference of real field stones about 10 to 12" wide and 8 to 10 inches high with some bigger, some smaller. Some irregular in shape for variation.

Unless you're talking about cut stone, in which case they would be roughly 12" wide and 8" high (or 1/2" x 5/8" or so).

Why don't you go on the Lowe's website or some other place that sells the kind of stone you're looking for. It will have dimensions and probably a photo you can use for reference as you're working.

Kathie, that's about what DH and I had guessed from memory of some of the rock houses we've seen. But I will look at Lowe's and see what they have, I hadn't thought of them, just googled rock houses. Thanks!