stupid mistake

THmini2

I was using my box cutter to cut out something for the Spring Fling and I picked up the cutter up-side down and pressed on the blade with my finger. What a surprise to feel the sharp blade side instead of the dull side. :) Cut the pad of my index finger. Not deep enough for stitches. Just bled for quite awhile. Stupid mistake. I think I will remember to look before I pick up any of my tools from now on. :(

Don't you hate when that happens!! :( I'll do that same sort of thing...grab for something out of the corner of my eye, usually...and end up with the "business end" in my palm or fingers or something. I hope it heals uneventfully!

oooh, ouch!! One of the many "joys" of the hobby :D - battle scars! I have done things like that way too many times myself. The biggest aggravation to me is trying to continue working on the mini project and not getting blood anywhere :( Hate stopping when I'm on a roll..

Hope your finger heals quickly Teresa :)

OUCH! Hope it heals quickly! That's something you do once and remember not to do it again! :)

I've been lucky and haven't cut myself, but I've burned myself badly with my glue gun . . . I can still see the scars! :(

For a long time most of my household injuries involved burning, but since discovering minis I seem more prone to slicing & dicing; I started minis just as I started Nursing School! I keep a bottle of peroxide on each floor as well as a box of facial tissues. As soon as I feel the blade I grab a handful of tissues and put pressure on the cut and race to the bathroom, flush the cut with peroxide and replace the tissue with sterile gauze pads & antibiotic ointment I fix snugly in place with adhesive tape or bandaids, whichever I have. I leave the pressure dressing in place for a couple of days and after that protect the healing incision with banaids whilst it finishes closing.

OUCH! Been there - done that. I cut my thumb really deeply once and nearly passed out. It absolutely spurted blood and in my panic I ran to the bathroom and dumped hydrogen peroxide on it (never do this on a deep wound as it will bleed that much more!) I got really hot and my hearing began to go so I quickly sat down with my head between my knees. My sister (<-nurse) didn't see me until probably a week later and it had begun to heal and she couldn't believe I hadn't gone to get stitches. Needless to say I am much more careful now.

My index finger is throbbing in sympathy where I sliced it in February. 6 stitches still clearly visible thanks to my keloid scarring!

Perhaps we should keep boxes of bandaids and other emergency supplies in with the mini tool kit!

In the world of costuming, a truly great costume must be bled upon. A few superstitious costumers have been known to prick there finger and get a liitle drop on an inside seem just to get it over with. Guess it goes for minis too.

dumped hydrogen peroxide on it (never do this on a deep wound as it will bleed that much more!)
No, what it does is to kill off any anaerobic bacteria that will infect the wound. You Immediately put pressure on any deep cut, NOT enough to blanch your skin & make it turn white, but enough the bring the edges of the wound back together & keep them there, and then fasten the dressing firmly in place to keep the pressure on the cut until the edges begin to knit back together. Stitches if it's an open area, but pressure is usually sufficient for fingertips, etc.

And the worst accidents are usually things you do to yourself-like cutting yourself! The only bone I ever broke was from trying to climb over a baby gate because I was too lazy to put things down and open it!

I have only broken three bones in my entire life: my nose, on our honeymoon (I woke DH up when he had the flu); my right pinky toe, three times (once on an ammo box, once on a leg of our bed and once in an auto wreck) and my right elbow twice (once trippiing and falling on the sidewalk on campus on my way to my first Nursing final and once tripping over a tree root in our front yard). I burned my right thumb unplugging an electric coffeepot. I sewed my right middle fingernail (bent the needle when it bounced off the phalange bone) and all my other injuries have been slices. Can we say "accident prone"? Or is it "prone due to accidents"?

The only broken bones I've suffered were in my toes when my horse stepped on my foot. I've had my share of cut and shredded skin, including the aforementioned slices that were done up with butterfly bandages during my leaded glass adventures. My favorite accident, or at least the most colorful one, involved an out-of-control and brakeless moped in Bermuda some years ago when I swerved to miss a pregnant goat and flew over a 10-foot drop that split my knee open. I don't do motorized two-wheelers any more.

Missing the goat, that was my stupid mistake.