Dejunking, Housework & Yardwork Challenge

Lynette Smith

NJ is coming over today to help me get the accumulated plants into the ground. I bought more at Walmart yesterday. I've been spending so much time out of doors that I don't even want to think about housework and dejunking. Last night, however, I dreamed that we'd gathered up a lot of clothing for the women's shelter resale store. We had quite a nice amount. :wave:

Edit 4 hours later: No sign of NJ. I hope she isn't suffering one of her migraines. The yukky weather sometimes brings it on. I've got a fair amount accomplished, but still have beaucoup plants to get into the ground before it rains. I thought it wasn't supposed to rain until tomorrow, but Mother Nature seems to have changed her mind. There's definitely a lowering sky.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, hubby has sort of started to go through one of our walk-in closets today, I think he needed to just do something to keep busy so that is a perfect thing to do....

I am also debating with myself to get into the craftroom and do a serious cleaning in there... :wave: Maybe....

Hugs

I started yeesterday working in the basement.. ended up getting the carpet laid down... and it looks wonderful!! I will have to post my before & AFTER pictures,! I am so proud of myself.!! It looks great down there and I have alot of room. The boys decided they no longer wanted thier futon so we tossed down thier bean bags and they are thrilled.!!! I have one small area to work on then it is all about the dollhouses !!!! WOOHOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kellee

Well it's not exactly dejunking or housework, but I listed 4 items on ebay. I need to do this on a regular basis to feed my mini addiction, er, um... hobby, and also to raise money for the shed fund. I need to get it done this year.

I have more things to go one ebay, which I'll try to get to Monday afternoon - sewing patterns, primarily, but a few minis too. Some of them have the text saved in a template but others I have to do over. :yes:

• 3 weeks later...

Well, now that I once again have plumbing, I really have my work cut out for me! It made a big mess in the bathroom and tracked down the hallway. I've now deep cleaned 2/3rds of the bathroom - I've been having to reassemble over toilet storage cabinet and puting all the small bottles, jars, and so forth away as I go. I have one area of floor left to do, then clean the loose items before puting them away. This isn't my usual cleaning.

I've done two loads of laundry and one of dishes (isn't functional indoor plumbing wonderful! :wub: ) so far.

In the last few days I pulled up about 3 dozen chestnut seedlings - this year's extraordinary rains have been making things go crazy - a tree is baring fruit which has never produced before. I've pulled up a number of maple and siberian elm seedlings as well.

The lawnmower is being fixed, so I mowed part of the lawn with a weed wacker so that I could get to the chestnuts before they, too, can sprout.

I pulled out a few more pieces of fabric to go away and one piece to make shorts (trying to go with Heidi's no spend challenge). I also put away a few rolls of wallpaper. There's a bulletin board I'm debating about; my Mom got it to hold fabric pieces to help plan her quilts and its been tucked away between two pieces of furniture unused since I moved in over 7.5 years ago. Obviously I don't really need it, so I think I'll take it to the children's community center.

I'm a bit behind in posting here, but last week I went through about 2/3 of my kitchen cupboards and packed up a large box of stuff for the Lighthouse (the domestic violence group's resale shop). They were glad to get it. Apparently donations are down as people are into reusing or repurposing rather than replacing items.

I noticed that this spring, Kathie. The thrift shops were looking pretty bare. However, now that people are having garage sales and taking their leftovers to the shops, it's looking better. I took 12 boxes of antiques and 2 boxes (smaller) of antique jewelry to one on Saturday after my sale. I hope they can make some money off them! It was sad to see the end of my business, but a relief at the same time. I spent nearly 15 years doing that as my second job. It put two kids through college, but it also ate up any spare time I had.

But the garage sale was not nearly as big a success as I had hoped. I had everything marked down to 25 or 50 cents, a dollar at the most, so people who came bought a lot. There just weren't as many shoppers, and I had over 1000 items to get rid of! There were sales all over town, so everyone may be trying to sell their own stuff rather than buy someone else's.

Anyway, the garage is clean again. They installed our new dishwasher yesterday, so I was forced to clean out under the sink-lol! It's sure nice to have a dishwasher that actually gets things clean and doesn't leak on the floor!

Chelsea and I went to Goodwill before her trip because she wanted to pick up some t-shirts. $1.99 each. I even picked up a couple. There were so many and in such good condition.

I think (if it is not too humid today) I am going to tackle the mess that is Chelsea`s room. She has given me permission to sort stuff out and put them in her closet. She has many books she wants to bring to the used book store that are in her room. So that will give room for all of her books downstairs. Yay!

I am not going to go crazy in there. Just need to pick up the floor and move stuff around for when I get the steam cleaner.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I haven't been posting as I have been busy working on organizing and cleaning my building that holds all my craft/Chrismtas stuff...

I started on Monday and still no where near done but I have been working my full time job and only doing this when I was off and had a free minute but a lot of it is outside under a tarp..

I was hoping that I would be able to borrow a enclosed UT trailer that a co worker had but that

feel through when he sold it..

soooooo I got all the Christmas stuff out before I had to work last night and it is sitting behind the garage and I have all the plastic containers that have lids sitting there as well and the stuff that didn't have lids or was not in a container on a regular flat trailer with a tarp over it and I still have moreeeeee to get out! How can one person have so much stuff???

My mom said there was no way I could go through it all and get it sorted by Sat..

It is suppose to rain on Sat..

My main goal was to get everything out and clean the walls and ceiling and floors and put down new flooring and then sort and organize as I bring stuff back in...

I took off work tomorrow and Sat and my days off are Sun and Monday so I have a long weekend..

Let's hope that it works out that I can get it organized!!!

It is soooooooo overwhelming!!

I work better when I have someone to talk to and help me..Yesterday I did so good cause my mother was out there with me..

SO let's hope that I can talk her into helping me Friday and Saturday and also without anyone getting mad LOLOL

I am taking pictures so I will get some up tonight!!

I cleaned up part of the basement awhile ago, but with no noble intentions. I wanted to make more space to work on my dh's and to have the shelves free to put tools, glue, paint, etc., on them so that I can find them when I work on the dh's. That way, DH knows where they are but doesn't put them away where I can't find them!

It's working so much better now as we are not always tripping over stuff or spending our time looking for a pencil, etc. :angry:

I just skimmed through this thread, giggling. I am the same way, I buy things or rescue them from the garbage thinking someday I will have use for them. I still have mini supplies from 1992! But now that I'm building another house, I can use some of them, finally! My husband is the opposite, he throws everything away, but he respects my arts and crafts supply to let me weed through it. I have to be in the right mood to get rid of things, and have to just reason with myself that I may never use something and to just toss it. :angry: We had moved every few years for a while, each time getting rid of more stuff, so his theory is that's a good way to clean out the house...move often! I disagree. But I think all of us here are artistic and crafty and can't help that we have creative minds and we're always thinking! But it helps to keep it under control. One good thing about minis is that they are small, and most of the supplies don't take up tons of space!

Well, my niece Tiara will be moving in any day into the alleged spare bed/computer/craft/sewing/toy/storage room, so I need to be pretty busy! Yesterday Tiara helped me carry out the sewing cabinet which belonged to my mother, a large plastic tote which has cedar in the plastic for storing woolens, a light box (light in function, not weight), and something else which I can't remember.

I cut my finger while working on minis, got liquid stitches, and am supposed to be taking it easy with my right hand so that the "stitches" don't come off, which is pretty tricky when you are doing major stuff! I was in the middle of replanting plants from the flower bed from the plumbing fiasco when I realized this was just the type of thing I shouldn't be doing. Playing with dirt and thorough hand washing kind of go together, and so I went on to other tasks.

The refrigerator has been incubating some new life forms long enough for them to be set free in the wild. I put them in the compost pile, and started pulling other old things out. The whole fridge needs a thorough cleaning, so I started soaking some spots with a rag, removed one shelf to wash, and put the recently picked peas into ziplock bags and into the freezer. Now there is more room to work with. Tomorrow I'll get some gloves on the theory that I can clean more, but maybe it will only make my hand sweat off the "stitches".

I'm trying to sort things into three groups: must have on hand, can go in deep storage, and should go away forever. This is such a problem for me. Especially since my friends want to have a yard sale at my place and keep postponing it. Once I've decided it should go, I think it needs to be gone, or I may change my mind.

Woohoo! :unsure: Major progress today. I'm almost ready to post pictures of the new and improved kitchen! The laundry floor is visible, the dishwasher is working, and the kitchen floor is clean enough for mopping! Too long has is been moping!

I'm going to set aside some pots, pans, and other kitchen stuff for Tiara, when she is ready to move into the granny house next door.

I boiled up 3 chickens, and put them in the fridge to remove the grease, then tomorrow I'll remove the bones and remaining skin, divide it into ziplock baggies for different dishes. I made some pork soup in the crock pot, using some peas and green beans from the garden, and froze the rest of this years pea crop, four bagfuls if I remember correctly.

There's still a lot to do, but having the deadline of Tiara moving in has put a fire under me and my helpers. It's so exciting to see undeniable progress!

Woohoo! :unsure: Major progress today. I'm almost ready to post pictures of the new and improved kitchen! The laundry floor is visible, the dishwasher is working, and the kitchen floor is clean enough for mopping! Too long has is been moping!

I'm going to set aside some pots, pans, and other kitchen stuff for Tiara, when she is ready to move into the granny house next door.

I boiled up 3 chickens, and put them in the fridge to remove the grease, then tomorrow I'll remove the bones and remaining skin, divide it into ziplock baggies for different dishes. I made some pork soup in the crock pot, using some peas and green beans from the garden, and froze the rest of this years pea crop, four bagfuls if I remember correctly.

There's still a lot to do, but having the deadline of Tiara moving in has put a fire under me and my helpers. It's so exciting to see undeniable progress!

I am going to declutter under the stairs today.. I have most of my Holiday Decorations under there so I need to go thru that stuff.. a friend of ours is having a yard sale next weekend and I am putting a few things in it... and I need to make room for the Duracraft farmhouse that I was NOT going to get but ended up getting anyway !! LOL!!!

also need to get all the laundry done... and kitchen floor swept & Mopped... the kids do the mopping in there... We have a few old pairs of socks.... and the boys put them on... and I drop a capfull of cleaning solution and water on the floor and they mop it !!!

SOCK MOPPING IS A BLAST !!!

kellee