Dejunking, Housework & Yardwork Challenge

Lynette Smith

Hit the front yard and dug up the tons of landscaping bricks I never have time to weedeat around. but can't quite mow close enough to so the grass grows in giant tufts next to them. Also started on my "I'll fit into it again one day clothing" that I have in the basement. My Goodwill will be pleased to see me!

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted in the wrong spot earlier and had to do a quick edit!

I got three boxes put into the cupboard in the dining room. It has a closet underneath build as a coat closet, but I have it full of other stuff. The cupboard is quite deep, so it's tricky to get things up there and organized.

Some Christmas wrapping paper went out to the shed, into a bin for wrapping paper. A couple of items for a yard sale also went out. There is a large, heavy hanging shelf I got to put in the kitchen, only to discover it's too wide, is waiting on the side step to go to the shed, along with a lamp in need of rewiring. My wagon is full of dirt which got rained on, so I need to clean it out, so I can put it to work.

Pulled some weeds which look like bamboo to me, but most broke off. I need to attack them with a weed pick before they can take hold - they grow to be about 10' tall!

My friends and I considered the vegetable garden and they planted 2 dozen strawberry plants while I went inside to work - too chilly!

This evening I've been going through my Barbie accessory and furniture collection, which is fairly extensive (2 bins and at least 2 boxes come to mind, but doubtless there is more). I'm puting everything to go away in a basket. So far I've made it through one box. There are a few specific items I have earmarked for going away. I may take some of the stuff over to the community center along with some Barbies.

Progress is very slow.

I used to collect all sorts of items for Barbie vignettes, but minis take so much less space that I'm trying to pare down to the truly special items.

I need to begin listing things on ebay again. I have alot of patterns for Barbie I bought specifically for selling online. Just updated to card on record so I'm good to go for listing stuff.

Put some cup hooks up in the kitchen, to free up some precious cupboard space. I need to put up more (I have a 100 pack, so I have a fair amount to do still). I did a load of dishes.

MOst of the day has been spent out in the yard. I picked up a clump of ornamental Egyptian onions through freecycle and planted them around the yard. I also pulled out 100+ siberian elm trees, some feverfew, and grass. I have a binful of regular onions in the kitchen which I'm going to bury - to see if they sprout roots and grow - there long past the eating stage.

We'll see what else I can tackle tonight!

Cleaning out the hall closet! Also, more clothes the kids outgrew. My "Going to Goodwill" tub has now expanded to 2 tubs of junk. :banana:

Lynette- good job! And thanks for inspiring me, I needed it!!!

Sigh..... :banana: Last year I dejunked my attic. I threw out bags and bags and boxes and boxes of stuff. I rearranged what was left in a nice, neat, orderly fashion, in case I needed anything that was stored up there. I even added some more lights.

Then we decided we needed more room for stock. My husband started tossing things into piles so he'd have room for our daughter's old bedroom furniture that we dragged into the attic. Then he started stockpiling stacks of folded shipping boxes, then stacks of taped boxes ready for packing, then he added enormous bags of styrofoam peanuts.

Now my attic is packed with stuff. I can't find anything. When I packed up some winter clothes I told my son to just toss the bags anywhere he could find the space up there. I said if he could manage to find an empty spot near some other bags of quilts or blankets that would help me find them again next fall.

Did not take a pic because it was a spontaneous dejunk.

I was cleaning the bathroom big time because I was moody and that is what I do when I am like that. I go whole hog on the cleaning. I tossed hair stuff no one uses anymore, old acne medicine from the back of the cabinet, hair beads from when the girls were young (they loved getting corn rows with beads when they were in elementary school..so glad I do not have to do that anymore..it would take hours!).

I filled the bathroom wastebasket full of junk. I have a plastic drawer thing in there. Next I want to empty the whole thing out and clean it. Take it outside to hose it down, toss any stuff at the bottom, and re-organize. I have a feeling I am going to do that today..LOL

Okay Deana..Here are some seriously serious pics..LOL This is what I have to stare at everyday and I am sick of it!!

Diningroom book shelf. That box on top is full of miniature/dollhouse components

Diningroom Storage. At least the doors close! ROFL

Diningroom Shelf. Ugh!

The diningroom has become (for many years now) the place to do our art work. So of course this is where all our *treasures* end up! I do not know what to do.

I have no extra money to buy proper bookshelves for like the livingroom for all the books! Chelsea has accumulated so many of them. I really think I need to just box them up in plastic totes and shove them someplace. Then when she leaves, she can take them with her! ROFL

So I want to clean these areas, but where the heck am I going to put it all.

Heidi, a lot of that stuff looks as if it's just shoved into the space. I'll bet if you took it all out and organized it by size, shape, and type of item, it would go back in with space to spare and look a whole lot better. I don't know about you, but it's the jumble that grates, not well organized stuff.

And when you pull it out, I'll bet you'll find some stuff that doesn't have to go back in.

Heidi, a lot of that stuff looks as if it's just shoved into the space. I'll bet if you took it all out and organized it by size, shape, and type of item, it would go back in with space to spare and look a whole lot better. I don't know about you, but it's the jumble that grates, not well organized stuff.

And when you pull it out, I'll bet you'll find some stuff that doesn't have to go back in.

I HAVE organized it..Over and Over again. And over again....Apply, Rinse, Repeat!

No, the stuff needs to go. Because she (chelsea) will continue to pilfer thru it and not put it back the way it was. If I pack it all away, she cannot do that.

If she does not like it, I can always sell the books at the used book store! That will shut her up..LOL

My camera has dead batteries and I can't find the cord to recharge them, but that is symptomatic of much which is wrong with my house. I have between 30 and 40 18 gallon tubs full of stuff, in addition to boxes and unboxed stuff. There is simply too much.

My friend has set the day for the yard sale as the first weekend in June. Nice that she has made a decision, but that's one month to store the stuff before hand. Oh well...

Today my friend brought over his lawn mower (mine is dead) and took care of much of the yard before it rained. I transplanted grape hyacinth and daffodils which had come up in the grass, and pulled dandelions and some of those pesky maple seedlings.

After eating dinner, showing 'Fling to the neighbors and playing with Robbie, I came back home and fell asleep for 4 hours - so not a lot accomplished for Sunday.

Oh, I did get a box of winter stuff boxed up and put away the other day.

Good Luck with the yard sale. I do not do them anymore. Last year was the last one. I enjoy GOING to them..I do not enjoy THROWING them.

All the stuff leftover has to be dragged back in the house..ugh. If I ever (NEVER) have another one, whatever does not sell, will go in the back of the Jeep and will be driven over to the Salvation Army store`s backdoor.

I want to tackle these cabinets but I want to finish the fling first. I know where everything is right now and I am afraid if I clean, I may misplace something and then there will be trouble..LOL

When Pixiedrea offered to send me the Micheal houses, it gave me the oppertunity to go through quite a few of my stashed boxes. I sent her a lot of my duplicate accessory packages in exchange, and some extra furniture peices. DH was very proud of me for decluttering and downsizing the stuff I'll never use in a million years as he put it, while contributing to a good cause. (She's building and donating houses to foster children) He even helped me to pack the box. Does this count as "dejunking" Am I in the group? LOL

It definitely counts, Sue! :thumb:

I find that having another person around helps to spur me on to more than I would accomplish if left on my own. Moreover, it is easier to let go of your treasures when you know they will be going where they will truly be appreciated. :p

The church is holding a yard sale tomorrow to send the girls to camp, so I took 2 boxes of fabric, a couple of shelves I couldn't use, and a set of 3 corner shelves which I decided against. A bag of lace, some more quilt fabric, some craft leaflets and a few Barbies are on the doorstep for them to pick up in the morning.

I hoped to have more for them to take on the step, but I ate too much after recovering from a case of stomach flu and feel ill from being too full, so I may not get anything else done tonight.

My friend Ruth was helping go through and organize the fabric collection. I think organizing under her system is a little premature at this stage. But maybe it will help me find where the stuff that should go away is easier. We'll see.

Folks in my city do not bring in the leftovers after a yard sale! They put it all in a box with a big FREE sign on it, and it doesn't stay there long I tell ya! By the way, I'm one of those junkers who'll stop to check out the FREE boxes! LOL

I think I've got the more virulent version of the Spring Cleaning bug ... the kind that has you ripping down wallpaper and planning major renovations in the garden as well as the normal window washing, etc. The master bedroom will be finished when the wallpaper guy does his thing on Monday, but the kitchen wallpaper is halfway down and looking ugly, and there's a LOT to be done in the yard now that the fence is nearly finished. The poor White Orchid is whimpering with loneliness in the basement. *sigh*

I'd make an effort to get myself cloned if it didn't mean I'd have to put up with myself hanging around 24/7. :lol:

My boyfriend called last night. I told him of the stuff i had got rid of. If we're ever going to settle down together I need to learn to keep house better and get rid of a lot of stuff so there would be room for both of us (in another house, most probably). I'm guilty of starting new project after new project.

So what did he say?

"Why don't you sew the fabric into quilts and sell them on Ebay?" :)

So much off my stuff was purchased with the idea of making items to sell to make more money! :hehe::rofl::rofl: . Go figure! That would require starting even MORE projects and not getting rid of stuff - in fact I'd have to get more stuff - batting, backing fabric, and so forth.

"Why don't you sew the fabric into quilts and sell them on Ebay?" :w00t:

What is it with men? Lloyd keeps suggesting I open a shop for my dollhouses or sell them on eBay. No way, José!

In our house, when the kids need something for a project they need to do for school, DH sends them to me stating that I probably have more craft stuff than the store - which iss NOT true! However, when the kids need something I don't have, like DD needed styrofoam balls, we went and got some at the dollar store, so now I have some of them, too!

What is it with men? Lloyd keeps suggesting I open a shop for my dollhouses or sell them on eBay. No way, José!

Oh yeah. I hear that constantly. You should sell them!

Umm No.